Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mounting problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mounting problem

So I ordered these mounts from Trans-Dapt, and they don't fit!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-4595/

The plates bolt to the block, but the "clamshell" style mount piece didn't bolt to the plates. So I had to make the holes a little bigger, no big deal. Go to tighten the mount onto the plate and the bolts tighten right into webbing on the block. Again, not a huge deal...got around that. So I have the stock '78 Malibu mounts on the frame, The "clamshell" mount bolted to my adapter plates, and the adapter plates bolted to the motor. Go to drop it in and it won't sit down into the mounts on the frame...seems like the mounts on the motor are too far apart.

I know I could make something to get this all to work, but I paid the money for these mounts that are supposed to make it "drop in" and they don't fit. Any help would be really appreciated guys, I'd really like to get back to my project.

Oh, I have the correct plate on the correct side.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

The sbc chevy mounts that you are using come in two different lengths. The single bolt that connects this mount to the chassis mount is either 1 1/2" (short style) off the mounting plate or 2 1/2" off the mounting plate. You can get either style at most auto parts store, but I believe you have the short style. Maybe the long style will work?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Those plates are junk imo, the should have offset the clamshell like the carshopinc plates do. When you bolt 1/4" plates to both sides of the motor you made it wider by 1/2". The carshop plates offset the clamshell down about 1/4" to make up for that
Old 04-17-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rascalking
The sbc chevy mounts that you are using come in two different lengths. The single bolt that connects this mount to the chassis mount is either 1 1/2" (short style) off the mounting plate or 2 1/2" off the mounting plate. You can get either style at most auto parts store, but I believe you have the short style. Maybe the long style will work?

are you talking about the frame stands? if so i have never seen these for sale at a parts store. the lower mounts with the rubber in them yes, but never the steel lower. if thats true tell me where because i just waited three days for summit to deliver a set that dont fit and im now back to the drawing board.

and money, did you replace the frame stands? what did you use? and wich holes (my malibu has like a hundred holes)?
Old 04-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Teching In

I'm curious on the answer for this too. Please, fill us in.

I'm hoping to use the factory frame stands. The car had a 350 before and they are in those spots. I can get pictures if you would like. The hundreds of holes are for the different motors (v6, chevy v8, and olds v8)

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
are you talking about the frame stands? if so i have never seen these for sale at a parts store. the lower mounts with the rubber in them yes, but never the steel lower. if thats true tell me where because i just waited three days for summit to deliver a set that dont fit and im now back to the drawing board.

and money, did you replace the frame stands? what did you use? and wich holes (my malibu has like a hundred holes)?
Old 04-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

leonpiper, the actual rubber mounts are what I'm talking about. You can find them in rubber or poly at most places. My point was there are two different lengths off of the engine and this may affect placement of your motor.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Damn, that sounds like what I need to fix the problem. I'm really pissed about these mounts, I had to do a lot to them just to get them close to working. I can make mounts and all that, but I bought these so it would bolt in. Arghhh

Originally Posted by white84z
Those plates are junk imo, the should have offset the clamshell like the carshopinc plates do. When you bolt 1/4" plates to both sides of the motor you made it wider by 1/2". The carshop plates offset the clamshell down about 1/4" to make up for that
Old 04-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

I'm glad I didn't buy those plates, I was just about to and decided to make them. I just finished making a set for my Nova and it cost me about $20 and about a an hour to mark and drill both of them on the mill. They came out perfect. Sorry to hear you problems with them though.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rascalking
leonpiper, the actual rubber mounts are what I'm talking about. You can find them in rubber or poly at most places. My point was there are two different lengths off of the engine and this may affect placement of your motor.
that's where your confusion is. see there is older style and newer. the older 1st gen camaro mounts have the rubber part in the upper have and they are in the two diff styles (short n' wide vs. tall and narrow). the newer (70-80's) are the clam shell type where the rubber is in the lower mount. the lower part of the mount is usually referred to as the frame stand and the motor mount is the upper half that bolts to the block. that where people tend to get confused because parts store sell the lower half of the clamshell type and call it the motor mount (when really its all the mount).

so money bought mounts for the old style (probably short and wide because thats the most common. his car must still have the origal clamshell (newer) style mounts in it.

and so rascal your right there is a tall n narrow vs. short and wide mount, just not for the clamshell style (to the best of my knowledge). thats why i always say threads like this are worthless without pics......so i will add some.

this is my malibu wich still has the clamshell lower

the first pic is my malibu (clamshell lowers)
the second is the correct upper of the clamshell style mount
the 3rd is the pre 72 chevy upper mount (what i think money got)
the 4th is the lower that goes to the pre 72 styl mount

money, the uppers for the clamshell should bolt right to what is in you car (if the clamshell style) just gotta go to the junkyard and scrounge them.

if im wrong or missed anything someone please chine in.

leon
Attached Thumbnails Motor mounting problem-bu-engine-bay.jpg   Motor mounting problem-eng_motor_mount_brkts.jpg   Motor mounting problem-pre72-mount.jpg   Motor mounting problem-frame-stand.jpg  

Last edited by leonpiper69; 04-17-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Cool, thanks for the pictures. Always learn something new on here.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Leon, thank you for the info and pictures. I did buy the older style (picture 3) but I thought from the pictures on summit that the mount was an insert for the frame stands. As I now know, I am mistaken.

Regardless, my problem still persists. I have the clamshell lowers (picture 1) installed in my frame and I have the upper clamshell (picture 2) bolted to my adapter plate (which it says to do if running the complete clamshell setup). This is how it was when I tried it the other day, the bolt holes in the motor were too far apart for the frame. I'm going to head up and work on the car for a while today I think, maybe I'll come up with some sort of a solution today.

this is my malibu wich still has the clamshell lower

the first pic is my malibu (clamshell lowers)
the second is the correct upper of the clamshell style mount
the 3rd is the pre 72 chevy upper mount (what i think money got)
the 4th is the lower that goes to the pre 72 styl mount

money, the uppers for the clamshell should bolt right to what is in you car (if the clamshell style) just gotta go to the junkyard and scrounge them.

if im wrong or missed anything someone please chine in.

leon
Old 04-18-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

see if you cant snap a picture of how far it is off. if its close it could be a matter of putting a washer or 2 between the upper mount and the adapter. that would space them further apart but it would also raise the motor up a smidge (shouldnt be enough to matter though).

im going to order these and see how they fit. http://http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/...0002/-1?CT=999
Old 04-18-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

also founnd this thread http://https://ls1tech.com/forums/co...-ls1-swap.html

someone should do an indepth g body swap thread....... maybe i will as i go along on this one. did i mention this is now my 4th ls1 swap?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I also used the trans dapt mounts and I had no issues. I think they are a good product. I have used trans dapt mounts in 3 swaps already with good outcomes.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
I also used the trans dapt mounts and I had no issues. I think they are a good product. I have used trans dapt mounts in 3 swaps already with good outcomes.

and you have pictures to show....... right?

so far i have not tried the trans dapt ones.
my 68 camaro i used the carshop ones
98 sanoma used s-10 ones, cant remember who from
and my mustang i used all aje stuff
Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

and you have pictures to show....... right?

so far i have not tried the trans dapt ones.
my 68 camaro i used the carshop ones
98 sanoma used s-10 ones, cant remember who from
and my mustang i used all aje stuff
Here is the one of my 95 Silverado build... you can see the whole build in that thread..not once did I complain about fitment or alignment issues with the trans dapt mounts. I'll download more pictures of my other builds if this is not enough proof that I have had good outcomes with these adapter plates. All it takes is a little time and research to get the right ones.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/newreply....ply&p=13206017
ENGINE ADPATERS

Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I read your complaint.. as you bolted the upper clam shell to the plates.. the bolt the you used when through the plate and bottomed out on the engines webbing..

The problem is really simple on this part.. this is why many for plates use threaded holes for the mount and use a stud or a counter bored hole in the back and use a bolt that has a angle head bolt that will sit flush with the plate.

And for the 2nd part where the clam shell hole don't match up.. in general, the plate adapter were 1st designed to be used with the early engine mounts, not the clam shell type.. So.. some modification on your part will be needed to get it lined up. If on the last picture you posted. you noticed that the holes of the upper clam shell is lower in location as compared to the early style mounts. which would explain why they may not line up... (compare them in leon's picture of the early mounts to a clam shell).

2cents on what might explain some of your problems. Good lunch..
Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

dg i wasnt accuseing you of lying, sorry if it came off that way. i just think people understand things better when they can also see them. sometimes describe the same thing and are way off, so if you post a pic it makes complete sense. case in point you thought i was saying you were fibbing, but if you could have seen my face you would have saw me smiling and grinning hoping for a picture and thus know i was trying to be rude. see

and i was hoping for a pic to show it mounted in the car so we all could see how it fit.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wel your the third person with this issue, I thought I was the only one. The Clam shells I have are about an inch off when I drop the motor. Frame mounts are front and high as they can go in the frame. I had 2 other friends bring me Clamshell mounts and they were all the same, and different than the 2nd pic posted. Those posted look like what I need, where do I find them? Im debating just drilling mine and trying that. I have old style mounts, but they are too narrow for the frame mounts? Keep me posted on what you make work.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

and hey dg, in the middle of the upper mount there is this triangle shaped indent that prevents the mount form stting flush on the adapter. did you use washers to space it out. i just picked up a pair or uppers from the junkyard today and mine have the triangle too. im thinking about grinding it flush!!!

Quick Reply: Motor mounting problem