Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get the oil, temperature, and volt gauge to work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to get the oil, temperature, and volt gauge to work?

I just finished up my 6.0 to go in my 94 camaro. I was wondering how to get my factory gauges to work using the the ls sensors. I have a 1-wire oil sending unit, a 3 wire temperature sender. Any thing guys?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if your useing the stock gauges i dont think you can. the 94 gauges were not wired through the pcm where the ls ones are. if you get a later gauge cluster that fits your dash (is there one? i used to have a 95 z28) then you just use the pinout from that cluster and it works fine.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

I ran the oil pressure to the tan wire under the dash on the passenger side like the pin out said and it didnt do anything. What year do i need? or is there a resister or something that needs to be installed?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have an 01 ls1 in my mustang, so i dont have a bady harness. i ran the tan wire directly to the gauge cluster. but the cluster i have is out of a v6 2000 camaro. i know that earlier (i think most lt1s) run the wires straight to the guages whereas the ls1 ones sent he sensor signals to the pcm and them only a couple wire send those signals to the gauge cluster (called serial data). the oil presure was seperate and everything else (volts,rpm,mph,temp) are on one wire from the pcm to gauge cluster.

im a little fuzzy cuz im just getting back to this site on acount of i have been driving the stang and NOW im doing another swap (malibu).

the problem is the 94 gauges are wide and low where the most of the ls1 ones are shaped like the firbird gauges not as wide and taller. if you had a bird you could just pop in a newer cluster.

so if anyone knows what year (cuz i dont remember) they switched the cluster to serial data, we will know what year gauges will work.

the other optioon is to use the lt1 temp sender and wire that into your body harness.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

so could i run it straight to the guage and get anything?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Any other suggestions? Anybody?

Quick Reply: How to get the oil, temperature, and volt gauge to work?