Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help prevent me from being Nickel and Dimed to death

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help prevent me from being Nickel and Dimed to death

Well I am trying to get everything I need to finally have my motor, a 5.3L, running. The car, a '65 mustang, still has a long way, but it'd be a pretty big deal for me to finally hear her run!

I graduate college on May 14th, so I am taking May 14th-19th off of work to graduate and, more importantly, work on my mustang! I'd love to get the engine/trans installed and running. So I am currently on a buying frenzy, gathering all the parts I need to make it happen.

Last weekend I got my fuel system in the mail, courtesy of Tanks Inc, Summit and a bunch of monies.

All those fancy fittings and hoses got me thinking of my oil pan situation. I have the Moroso 20140 oil pan with a badly fitting pickup. (I'll have to do a bit of work to make it fit proper) Now I need to order some fittings and hoses for a remote oil filter.

The Moroso pans use -10AN fittings. Turns out they are pretty expensive. What is the most cost effective route? I looked into the twist-Lok Russel stuff, but the fittings are $20 each, and I'd need four.

This is the point I should state for future readers I should have gone for the F-body oil pan. In the end I'm sure it would have been cheaper. The Moroso pan is nice though for the clearance it offers.

On a completely unrelated note, is there any special tricks to installing the rear cover on these engines? It has been a while since I've had the chance to work on my engine/car, but from what I remember that rear cover didn't want to go on. I had a new seal pressed in by the machine shop.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions! Sorry about any misspelled words or horrific grammar, I'm a couple deep by this point
Old 04-25-2010, 02:04 AM
Launching!

used them personaly never had an issue.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On your pickup- there is a girdle fitting you can buy that straddles the pickup tube and holds it in with 2 bolts instead of 1 , I would definitly install it.I"ll try to find my reciept to see where I bought it from . JOHN
Old 04-25-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Try retro lsx conversions or brp
Old 04-25-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have a build thread? I would like to see this
Old 04-25-2010, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Well the deal is that I need to use at least two An fittings on the oil pan. I'm thinking two of these would work, I just wish they were 90° fittings. the 90° fittings run about $20, compared to the $5 straight. Might have to go with the 90dum° for fitment issues...

Thoughts? I'll be honest, I hate the look of the worm gear clamps, but whatever works right...
Old 04-25-2010, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crosstraining
Do you have a build thread? I would like to see this
Nope, I plan on starting one when I get her running. I always like it when people post build threads, start to finish, within their posts. Otherwise it's such a tease! Thanks for the interest though. I have a lot of work to do on the car yet, I put in a Mustang II front suspension eons ago now. Less than eons ago I chopped the quarter panels out, need to put the new ones on.

I have all the parts sitting around, its just time to work on it. I live 45 minutes from my parents place, where I keep the car.

I also have a 8.8" rear out of an explorer waiting to go in. Disc brakes, 3.73 gears and limited slip for $200 or so, pretty sweet! (Its been too long since I've bought all this stuff, I can't even remember what I paid!) Just need to buy some new, big U-Bolts. The sweet thing is that the rear is just wide enough to where I don't need to run my wheel spacers for my Mach 1 rims! Woot! Need to find a master cylinder yet though.

How it looked, once upon a time...

Old 04-25-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet! I look forward to the completed project and build thread. I can't wait to see how that 5.3 looks in that engine bay.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Stock 5.3?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a turbo on that 5.3 and the stang will fly
Old 04-25-2010, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS88FoxBody
Stock 5.3?
Basically, except the F-body intake and a 6.0L cam. Basically using this engine to get her up and running, and then I will build another motor for...

Originally Posted by elias_799
get a turbo on that 5.3 and the stang will fly
A turbo! Yup, that is the plan, but it will be a long ways down the road. I want to get the suspension sorted before I put any more power to the tires than the stock 5.3L will provide. My plan is to put in a independent rear suspension out of a T-bird or something, but we'll see.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

I apologize for this being a little off topic from the original post, but...

What is your initial impression of the Tanks Inc. pump/sump part? Does it seem like it will work pretty well? I was looking into it for when I start my LS swap, but haven't been able to find too many opinions on how the setup worked once installed.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Not a problem. As you know I don't have it installed yet. Overall its pretty simple stuff. Regular Walbro pump. The only thing that worries me is the "sump" is only held on by one bolt. I'm sure with a lock washer it will be OK though.

Otherwise I think the installed position will be the most important part. I'm going to install it so when I mash the gas, the fuel will flow towards the pump. I will also be installing it in my old fuel tank. Everywhere I've read says I'll die in a fireball, but my plan is to fill the tank completely with water before I cut into it with a drill and jig saw. Electrocution may be possible. I was going to buy a 4.5" hole saw, but Mills Fleet doesn't carry them and the largest they go, a 4", was $30-something. My time isn't worth that much

Another thing I am a bit concerned about is any noise cause by the bottom of the sump contacting the bottom of the tank. Just have to wait and see I guess. If you check out the new Modified Mustang and Fords magazine they have an article in there which uses a setup much like the Tanks Inc kit.

Oh, and the connectors are only 1/4" (-4AN). But talking to the guy he says it can support up to 500 hp. Kinda a waste for me to run all that -6AN line.

Last edited by bmxmon; 04-25-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added more
Old 04-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Alright, thanks for the info. Like I said, I am just trying to get all the possible information and opinions possible so that I can maybe avoid running into too many problems during and after the swap.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Help prevent me from being Nickel and Dimed to death