Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which aftermarket AC for 67 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which aftermarket AC for 67 Camaro?

Didn't get any responses from the Camaro forum so I'll try here. Need to add AC to my 67 and looking for opinions on which one to get. I hear allot of good and bad about Vintage Air, and I know there are a few other brands out there.

My car did not come with Air so I don't have all the factory holes in the dash, and don't want to add them either. What did you like/dislike about your kit? Anything I should look out for? How did you mount the compressor? Anything else you could add that might help.

Car is getting an LS1 also.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up

Get the Vintage Air Gen IV, they have a kit that fits directly in your car and it uses modern technology (no cables for the control). I installed it in mine and it was easy.

http://www.vintageair.com/cat2007/40.pdf
Old 04-29-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Literally just finished up the Vintage Air IV sure fit setup. They provided an S5 compressor and everything else needed. Looks decent and works great. I did wire mine in through the LS1 computer using the Pressure Sender from a 98 Camaro instead of the binary switch, but you don't have to. The only things I am unhappy with is the fact that the backlighting on the new panel in the car is very dim, and that the heater hose solenoid gets pretty darn hot when off (normal they say). I used the Kwik performance brakcet to mount the compressor, and it works great.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vintage air
Hot rod air
Classic auto air
Southern air by southenn rods & parts
Old air products
Nostalgic air parts
Air-tique

vintage air is prolly most popular

my biggest complaint w/ them is the looks of the controls & their logo on the controls

if you fine w/ that, it's a no brainer

1 of the vendors, forget who but i think they were based in FL, would modify your OEM controls to work w/ their gear so you'd have a factory look
Old 06-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 67rsss
Literally just finished up the Vintage Air IV sure fit setup. They provided an S5 compressor and everything else needed. Looks decent and works great. I did wire mine in through the LS1 computer using the Pressure Sender from a 98 Camaro instead of the binary switch, but you don't have to. The only things I am unhappy with is the fact that the backlighting on the new panel in the car is very dim, and that the heater hose solenoid gets pretty darn hot when off (normal they say). I used the Kwik performance brakcet to mount the compressor, and it works great.
did vintage air swap out the v belt style compressor for a serpentine style? how did you make that work? thats exactly what i'm looking at doing. (power tour was rediculously hot this year)
Old 06-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

When I called Vintage they told me the compressor would come with an appropriate serpentine pulley to work with the LS1. Only problem is their mounting bracket puts the compressor in the factory position, lower passenger side, which does not work without notching your subframe on a first gen Camaro. Like 67rsss pointed out, you will need to use an aftermarket mount such as Kwik Performance if you don't want to start cutting. I'm not aware of any other mounts that would work.

I was told you attach some actuators to where the cables mount on your factory controls. The gen IV works off of servo motors.

67rsss - how is that gen 4 system working out? I know these cars have a good amount of heat coming up through the floor.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Not a camaro, but I put VA in my 68 corvette. They substituted the serpentine compressor and refunded the SBC bracket since I was using an LS motor. Very impressed with the product, price, and customer service.
VA sells an LS kit with a high passenger side compressor. Kwik sells a bracket too. I just made my own bracket.
My only complaint was they seem to have a min shipping charge. I think I spent $14 shipping on a $15 extra vent. So buy parts locally. Also substitute the trinary switch if you're using additional electric fans.
Btw, mine is not hooked to the computer, I do notice a little rough idle at times with the AC on.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

That's wierd. I just talked to Vintage last week and the tech told me the only mount the have for an LS1 put the pump down low on the passenger side. He told me it wouldn't work on a first gen Camaro, I would have to get an aftermarket mount.

Is the high mount only available for truck LS motor accesories maybe?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Vintage air frontrunner
http://www.vintageair.com/ls.asp
Old 06-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry, I thought you meant they offered a compressor mount by itself. I did see that, but it's way out of my budget.

Here's a detailed Vintage Gen IV install in a 68 vert i found sometime ago that might be helpfull to others

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=133176
Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Can you use a stock truck/ls ac compressor with the VA setups?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Junkie

The LS compressor is a variable displacement that's controlled by the cars computer. The sanden VA compressor is a clutch typed controlled by the VA system. VA says the 2 wont work together, others have tried with mixed results. You can get a sanden mount for the original location from:

http://www.hhclassic.com/scripts/Par...lle&KeyNo=1471
Originally Posted by themachasy
Can you use a stock truck/ls ac compressor with the VA setups?

Quick Reply: Which aftermarket AC for 67 Camaro?