Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extra coolent capacity

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extra coolent capacity

My bug has issues in hot weather with over heating. Radiator is a 2" thick 24" wide, 15" height. Kinda small, but is all i could fit in there. with the turbo and intercooler, its gonna need all the help it can get

I am going to upgrade the current electric fan to a better setup, while i am doing that I am making a nice stainless lower radiator hose, which is were my question arises.

Could I incorperate a large "chamber" perhaps a large diameter section pipe or make a wide slim rectangular section in the lower radiator pipe which would hold more fluid, say .5 gallons (maybe 1 gallon).

I just think the current amount of fluid in my system seems too small, the radiator holds maybe 2 gallons + what evers in the block.

any thoughts? would having more fluid in the system help stabilize temperatures?

thanks, matt
Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Extra fluid could help, don't know how much 0.5 gallons would help though. My first question is what material your radiator is made out of? If you are not running aluminum, upgrade to that first. Could also make sure you are getting proper airflow...is the rad in the front or back?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

i dont think much air flows through grill at speed either, I think the egg shape is pushing air over the hood, could be wrong though
Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Does it cool down when you get it out on the highway? If so, then you need a better fan setup for slow speeds.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

The hood looks vaquely(sp) simular to a 98-02 TA Raimair hood. LOL.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

On the highway to temp keeps climbing, never really drove long enough to see if it would settle out at a higher temp.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It appears to me that you may have a hot air exhaust issue judging by how your engine bay is configured. Air flow through the radiator occurs through a pressure differential i.e. you need lower pressure on the exhaust side in order to draw ait into the front. Is this a tube framed car? You might consider putting an air dam or a skirt under the front bumper/bottom leading edge in order to create a little negative pressure in order to draw air out of the engine compartment.

All the above of course won't help if there are other fundamental cooling system issues like air entrapment especially when the radiator is lower than the motor. Running the steam vent lines to a header tank mounted at the highest point would help. I don't believe you have a system capacity issue, IMO.

Good luck,
Andy1
Old 04-29-2010, 11:40 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have spent a lot of time chasing down problems like this .

Take a step back.

What is the thermostat temp?

What is the fan on and off temp?

What exactly happens to coolant temps as you drive?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like air flow problem. Are you running a belly pan on the Bug? Cooling problems are caused when the pressure in the engine compartment is higher than outside the car. The engine compartment needs air to flow through it (usually in the front, out under the car at the firewall). When the air can't go anywhere it essentially gets "packed" into the engine compartment and doesn't flow over the radiator. Side vents or even a cowl hood can be used to alleviate the higher pressure in the engine compartment. One way to test could be to put a few washers between your hinges and hood so that there is a larger space where the rear of the hood and the windshield cowl meet...this may help move air through the engine compartment and cool your engine better (might not be enough to solve the problem but for the price of a few washers/longer bolts would help to test the "pressure" hypothesis. Jacking up the hood a little is a popular "mod" for some friends of mine with turbo Scion TCs. I believe Grand Nationals also had those side vents on the fenders in order to better cool the turbo engine that produced more heat than the other G-bodies.

Could also double check that your cooling system doesn't have an air bubble...could be just that simple.

Quick Reply: extra coolent capacity