Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple quick wiring questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A couple quick wiring questions!

I have a few questions to finish up my wiring diagram.

1. The Temp sensor has two wires, but the PCM pinout I'm using (LT1swap) only shows one wire, going to C1-74. Is the other wire just a ground? Same deal for the VSS and CEL. (I assume CEL just needs a ground)

2. How exactly does the factory combine multiple wires? I have half the injectors and half the coils running to one fuse. (As my Current Performance fuse block says) What is the best, cleanest way to combine eight wires down to one? I can't find anything on it searching the net, plus my wiring book is worthless. (HP's Automotive Electrical Handbook)

3. Does anybody have a source for the GM connectors and wiring? I was going to use EFIConnection (Still going to try them) but their Web site says they aren't taking orders on wiring until later. I would also like the metal connectors themselves (That go into the connector, crimped onto the wire) if anybody knows where I can get those. If it's possible I would like to have my harness without any splices, but we'll see. I suppose I will need the tool also.

4. What gauge wire exactly is the factory stuff? Using my wire stripper it seems like it's either 20 or 22 gauge. I'll probably just go with the heavier stuff.

Thank you so much for reading, any responses would be great!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

The connectors can also be found on ebay.
The factory uses slpice connections. basically a bunch of wire ends soldored together. You can do that or center slice them along a main wire (cut an inch of covering off of a wire, wrap a wire end around the exposed wire and solder.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

1) Pin locations change per PCM. 99-02 Fbody is B74 Yel signal and B80 Blk low ref

2) GM uses a common splice wrapped with a sealant lined shrink tube. They are black with white print and easy to ID. The easiest way to join them is like Rick posted

3) EFI connection is a great place. #2 is ebay. #3 is good for cheap common connectors needed in a hurry, JY. LSx connectors are common on econo FWD cars of the early 90s

4) 18-20ga depending on purpose. Coils, INJ, and fuse wires are all 18ga. Most sensors are 20ga. Grounds and powers are generally 18ga. Oddballs are relay related. Usually the donor harness has more than enough wire for those so you dont have to buy any

For future reference, I wouldnt use your strippers to measure wire size. Depending on the brand, they usually get it wrong. My strippers uses the 16ga hole for 20ga wire and 14ga hole for 16-18ga wire. 10-12ga cables wont even fit in the stripper without cutting some strands
Old 05-02-2010, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to get leary about putting so many circuits onto the small guage Current Performance wire also. But, when you think about it from an electrical standpoint, it all makes perfect sense.

You are only firing one coil or one injector at a time. Therefore, the guage can be small as at any given time it's only firing one component, not all that are wired to that single wire.

As far as splicing, I do exactly as stated above, strip a 4" or so section, solder all connections to that wire and then heatshrink over it all.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Awesome guys, thank you so much for the responses!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Here is my finished wiring diagram, for anybody interested. I don't think Flickr will let me post it too large. (Yup, I have a lot of time on my hands)

Old 05-03-2010, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Here it is in .PDF format. If anybody is interested in it give it a look over. I don't suggest wiring your swap based off it yet though, I still gotta wire mine up and make sure everything is right! It's large, I plan on having it printed before I start my wiring.

The wiring color is my own, as I tried to keep it down to a minimum for when I actually buy the wire. Got it down to about 10.

I have to figure out which pin on each connector is the right one too... should be fun. I love the punishment I guess.
Attached Files
Old 05-03-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

Hows this?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a great thread for helping me too. I just received my Current Performance fuse/relay box last week, and I am getting ready to join it to my modified harness. It will all get tucked under the dash in my '69 Nova. I was curious about splicing the injector wires together into one circuit on the fuse box, so I appreciate the answers above.

Pocket - your diagram really simplifies the whole process down. I appreciate the effort.
bmx - I'll print out your diagram and spend some time comparing it to my setup.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

I like it! When I first looked at your post the diagram didn't show up, I didn't know what you were 'typing' about. Cool beanz.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Launching!

What program did you use to make that diagram? That is really easy to understand. I would like to do that for my swap that will be a little different due to DBW, 2003 LM7.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:27 AM
On The Tree

I used Illustrator CS3 for mine, but you could do it with paint as well. Illustrator is just nice because I put everything on its own layer so I can quickly change things if needed.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

All of my drawings are with AutoCAD 2002

Quick Reply: A couple quick wiring questions!