Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original guages w/LS1 swap '71 Chev-help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Original guages w/LS1 swap '71 Chev-help

Currently doing an LS3/4L60E swap in a '71 Chevelle. Engine controls are from a '98 Camaro LS1. I will be using original style SS guages and am concerned how to make the speedo/tach/oil pressure/temp guages work with this setup. Anyone have experience with such a setup or have any suggestions on the topic, Thankx.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

May want to check out the products from Dakota Digital for speedo & Tach. You would have to know the PPM(pulses per mile) your oem speedo works off of.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...cat/cat287.htm

As far as the oil pressure and temp gauges you may have to use the type of senders that were on the chevelle's oem block that those gauges operated off of and purchase thread adapters to use them in the LS3 locations.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Might try a search, there's been alot of threads on this subject. But what I've done on several swaps is use a Cable-X for the speedo (not cheap, but works well), tap the adapter above the oil filter for the oil pressure line, and drill and tap the right head for the temp sender. Some have machined down the temp sender to the correct thread to just thread in the head, but it's usually on later model senders. I don't think you could turn down one from a '71 Chevelle, because I think it's going to be too big. Might be able to use a later sender though, but I have'nt tried it yet. The tach will work if you change somthing in the PCM tune, but I can't remember exactly what right now, I'm sure someone will chime in with the answer.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1Nova71, what do you mean by Cable X? thanks for tips. Interesting about the change at the PCM, I will ask my tuner about that.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Sorry, I guess I should have put this in the first time. http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm
Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the Oil sender, since the PCM doesn't really needed it. Replace the LS1 sender with the Chevelle one (3/8"NPT ?). Break off the plastic part of the LS1, drill/tap it to the Chevelle thread size. or use the bypass plate above the oil filter as stated in the thread by LS1Nova71. since my Chevelle has the sweep gauge and idiot light, i did both. i have a after market gauge using the bypass plate and the chevelle idiot light sender in the LS1 location.

For the temp sender.. you have two choices. one would be to drill / tap the top of the water pump for the sender location. Or remove the plug in the passenger side head, now the tricky part.. find a sender with the correct ohm reading in 1/4" or 3/8" NPT and use it in the plug location.. cause the OEM Chevelle one is too big..

The LS1 PCM tach out put has the pulse of a 4 cycle engine.. not eight like the old chevelle tach. I think that is what LS1Nova71 is getting at. The can be changed in the PCM.

Some have sent there gauge pod out to have it converted to new internal.

Quick Reply: Original guages w/LS1 swap '71 Chev-help