Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans that don't need tunnel mod in 69 A-body

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trans that don't need tunnel mod in 69 A-body

Hey guys, pretty new to the site. I've been checking out everyone's builds thusfar and noted almost everyone has to mod their trans tunnel. Since I just replaced the entire floorpan in my 69 GTO convertible, I'd prefer not to hack up what I just welded in.

So the question is: which transmissions don't require a tunnel hack? I'd prefer a 5 or 6 speed manual trans, but if anyone came come up with a comprehensive list of all transmissions and what needs to be done to get them to fit, I think that would be a great addition to the site.

Thanks
Jim
Old 05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

most older GM will not be a problem. the 4L60E and 4L65E is the same size as a TH350.. The 5 speeds should be ok also.

The 4L80E is a bit bigger, depending on how High and back you mount the engine, you may be ok. (forward and low to get the most clearance). But in General for the 4L80E and T56, will require some pounding or cutting.

Many have said to use a T shape cut to and it will be enought, other have had to do major cutting and rebuilding.. Some have even moded the Firewall some. Do some resarch on the Build threads..

no one Swap is the same.. unless using Vendor supplied kits. I expect many will ping in saying one way requires no cutting and someone else will say yes to cutting.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is my understanding that a T56 or TKO 500/600 will require that the tunnel be cut and patched ( http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/Ch...it-Select.aspx ).
I haven't heard of anyone having to cut the tunnel to fit the Richmond 5 or 6 speeds.

Ken
Old 05-11-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For my install with a T-56, I had to cut the top 1/3 of the tunnel off from the shifter to just in front of the firewall (maybe 1 1/2", I didn't cut the firewall any).. and had to build a new top that was rasied a good +1" and a bit more wider (more square instead of rounded top).

BC
Old 05-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished installing a TKO 600 from Keisler. I paid extra for the perfect fit trans and it was really close to fitting without mod. I had to cut a slot about 5 in. long on both sides of the hole for the shift towards the front of the car. I did'nt have to remove anything , just bend metal up 1/2 inch. My car was a factory 4 speed car. Don't know if the tunnels are different for trans options.

Quick Reply: Trans that don't need tunnel mod in 69 A-body