Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Gen. Disk Brake swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Gen. Disk Brake swap

I have a 68 Camaro, i have plans for a LS swap in the distant future but before i can fully enjoy the power that is provided courtesy of the LS power plant, I need to be able to stop the speeding death trap that is the 4 wheel manual drum brake camaro. I've seen the kits online that require anywhere from $600-$1200, I'd like to get the car on the road soon and $1000 right now for brakes just isnt going to happen. Is there any other routes i could go with this, could i use brakes from a newer f-body if so what kind of modifications am i looking at. I dont have to go all four disk but at least the front 2 and i need power brakes. thanks for any input.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Get the disc brake spindles from any 68-72 Nova, Chevelle or their clones. The spindle is the same side to side since the steering arm bolts on. Then get new brakes for the vintage spindle you grabbed. You'll probably have $300 in it depending on what you have to replace. Disc and drum brake spindles are different. I think Wilwood makes a kit that uses the stock drum brake spindles, but that's big money right now.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try and pick up a set of disk brakes from another car most 1st Gen F-Body, 68-74 X-body (nova) and 58-72 A-Body will swap right in. (from the Spindle out)

If you check ebay for "LS1 Brakes" there is a conversion kit to use 98-02 Front Brakes, it is setup for Drum (or disk) brake spindle. $129.00. BRP makes (maybe others) a spacer that allow you to use the Rear set on any 10 or 12 bolt rear.

I am planning on using this kit as I have the brake from a 02 that i plan on using.

only a few minor mod's are needed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-13-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have 16" or larger wheels, do the LS1 brakes. 12" rotors and nice aluminum dual piston calipers. You can pick up the bracket from Kore 3 I think. Check out David Pozzi's site too.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Teching In

I really appreciate the input guys i figured i was going to have to put this build off longer than i wanted, if i can get buy only droppin 2-300 then im happy, jbsjunk i like your idea, if I cant find anything then ill go with bczee's idea i had no idea that had a conversion kit like that, 129 bucks thats awesome i dont think i'll have a problem finding calipers and spindles, me and my pops are suppose to be doing some front end work next week i may just put it off til i order the kit and do it all at once, time to get this rollin.
Oh and as far as power brakes you have any suggestions?
Old 05-14-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot me an email if you are looking for the first gen stuff. I also have a 94 Z28 rear disk setup. Lots of info on pozziracing including what to do with the suspension. Don't do it twice!

http://www.pozziracing.com/

Quick Reply: First Gen. Disk Brake swap