Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volvo Duett - Magnacharged 5.3

Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Volvo Duett - Magnacharged 5.3

Still more work to do but I wanted to share where the car is at today.

It's a driver but only has a canned tune from Speed Inc and still needs to go up there for a full tune so I haven't gotten in it much at all. Motor is a 100K 5.3. It has a 228º on a 114º C/L cam and ported (1:1 drive) Magnacharger, intake, TB... Tranny is a 4L60E w/ a 2800 stall lockup and shift kit.

Car is channeled, bagged, back halved, M2 front end. Still have to do some work to the front for better turning with the car down low, the tires hit the fenders too easily.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

That's too cool! But how do you keep yourself from getting on it? That's usually the first thing I do, I have no self control. Also what is that in the upper radiator hose? Looks like a temp guage?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Very cool! Who makes those valve covers?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

awesome new project. Did you build the entire thing? I loved your old turbo Buick powered Geo Metro from before!

Welcome to LS power. It rocks
Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

The upper radiator tube has a Moon mechanical temp gauge in it. There is a matching oil pressure one on the filter adapter doo dad thing on the drivers side.

The valve covers are my own creation of stock ones that were smoothed, filled and wrapped in C/F then loved one. The coils mount to the valve cover studs using modified stock coil holders that used to mount to the larger bracket.

And I partially blame YOU for the LS1 habit. Your RX was just so plain wicked, way beyond the LC2 powered one before it, and THAT one was nice. I was on the RX7 forum a couple of weeks ago looking to pick up someone's project for cheap (till it closed down). Now I'm thinking about either a Porsche, Ultima or Factory 5 supercar. That will have to wait for a bit longer though.

I'm proud to say that so far the ONLY thing I've hired out is my aluminum welding. I still don't have a TIG but I'm so fed up with dealing with other people's work I'm about to risk divorce and buy one (just don't tell my wife).

I've still got the Metro but haven't done much with it lately. I'm going to run it in Pinks all out in June @ Joliet though. Hopefully, I won't kill myself in it, it's been a while since I drove it.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:01 PM

I love this! I am still in the vintage car learning process, but am intrigued by everyone's passion. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can I ask why you didnt rebuild the motor first? At 100k miles and adding boost that motor can't be up for to much more abuse
Old 05-19-2010, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

A couple of reasons. First was just so I could get it going under it's own power, then I could put in the 500 cid LSX later. Orginally, it was going to just be a Camaro intake but then someone totalled out my GTO with the blower so it found a new home on the Volvo.

Second I can buy A LOT of 5.3's before paying for the rebuild of a single one so it makes economic sense. Besides, the 5.3's already got a smidge lower CR to start than the LS1 the blower used to blow into. Add in a bit bigger cam that will bleed off a little pressure (I know, not on the top end where it will need the "venting") and the motor should be OK.

I also want to tow my drag car with this thing (note the class 3 hitch receiver out back).
Old 05-21-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Jeff Schwartz is selling his Ultima I have heard.

Another bad *** kit car to look at which IMO is better than the Ultima is the RCR aka RaceCarReplicas SLC SuperLight Coupe. 2200lbs with an LS1....

My buddy bought one and is putting in a dry sump 20B turbo with G50-50 transaxle. Here it is without the front clip or doors. The front looks a little like a Ferrari. Full aero with flat bottom as well.
Attached Thumbnails Volvo Duett - Magnacharged 5.3-markrcr.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Volvo Duett - Magnacharged 5.3