Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carburator spacer 1 inch -LS motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default carburator spacer 1 inch -LS motor

I'm ready to run my car, whit 6.0L L76, dod and vvt delete, whit L92 head, GMPP carburator intake, whit a good 750 cfm carb. I also have a 1in phenolic spacer Moroso, that i'm not sure if i must keep it or not. What is the positive or negative point of this kind of spacer.. i have the open one, not whit the 4 holes. Let me know if i must keep it or discard it.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Launching!

You can discard it if you want. Probably make more power with it though.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i always try to use a hvh spacer with cars and single plane intakes
Old 05-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

my intake is a single plane... i'm better to keep it... Open spacer give more hp at mid and top range. 4 Holes spacer give hp at low and mid range.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default spacer and hp

A spacer is not a miracle hp producer.Maybe 10-15 hp at the flywheel unless the combo is way off. On an open plenum intake an open spacer will usually help top end and take away from mid/bottem, unless the plenum is small like the old Edelbrock TorkerII. The GM open plenum and the Edelbrock Victor JR for LS engines will usually like a double pumper carb to help with throttle response. Also a 4 hole spacer can help booster signal to the carb which can sometimes require a decrease in jetting or pulse width. We like to use carbs with annular boosters on open plenum intakes. Throttle response is better. Also a down-leg booster will help on an open plenum.
The bigger the plenum the weaker the carb signal. Sometimes when a spacer is added and power increases it can be that the tune was off on the old set-up. The only way to know is a dyno or mph at the track. My wife's car went from a 1.58 60' to a 1.42 when I switched out the down-leg booster for annular. I also had to remove 4 jet #'s to keep the same A/F.
An open plenum can use more initial timing sometimes as well to keep good throttle response.
Then again it becomes a fitment issue on some cars it's not easy with the low hoodline. We sometimes put the intake in the mill and remove a bunch of plenum so we can replace it with different spacers. We also extend the runners farther into the plenum. All about $$$'s for dyno time and R and D.
On some cars using small tires you need a big plenum to take away too much bottom end.
Long winded but I hope a bit to think about.
Aleck
Old 05-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

yes... thanks for your anser... This evening, i have installed my cowl hood from SS hood, and i can close it, but it's hard... the big hole under the hood is not centered whit the air cleaner. I think the air cleaner is about 1 inch near of the driver. I can trim the hole under my hood, or discard the spacer.

Keep this spacer will give me better trottle response, and better top end, but need to trim the inside of my cowl hood.

Discard the spacer will give me better tork and mid range, but no modification of my hood!

I well understand?

Last edited by marco_chevy; 05-19-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

try it both ways and see how you like it.

Quick Reply: carburator spacer 1 inch -LS motor