Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a comparison of A-body Adapter plates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is there a comparison of A-body Adapter plates?

I just picked up an 06 GTO LS2 & T56 for my 70 Chevelle project car. I'm going to be pulling the engine and transmission hopefully this week, and I'd like to at least get it set into the Chevelle chassis. I've been looking at any and every thread that I can find all day today and am trying to find a comparison of the different mounts that are available, I know that some of you guys have also fabricated your own mounts.

From what I've read, some mounts position the engine forward, some mount it pretty far back. I'm planning on running the stock GTO Air Conditioning compressor in the stock location (With the frame notch of course)...

Also wanted to know if there is even the possiblility of using the stock GTO Exhaust manifolds. It's hard to tell right now if they'll fit, but I figured it would be worth a try.

BTW My Chevelle doesn't have any factory engine mounts in it, or Engine stands i guess they are called... So I'm starting from nothing.

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can tell you that any of the S&P or ATS designed adapter plates (standard or 1" set back) will not allow you to use the GTO (or any Gen III and IV) compressor in the stock location. I used the template in the FAQ section. post #4 (for 1" setup, use the S&P but move the mount location forward 1")
I did try both S&P and BRP plates. (I fab them up to have duel style/bolt location on the same plate, but ended up cutting the extension off to be BRP size plates)

Most will say that if you use 1" setback plates, it will locate the engine to the transmission in it stock location.

BRP plates will allow you to use the compressor in the stock location, but you have to notch the frame and move the frame stand location (it is much more roll your own as far as engine location due to the relocating the stands). This is why I also when with the BRP style plates. I did move the frames back so that the engine would sit as far back as I could move it, leaving just enough room between the head and firewall.

Can't comment on the GTO exhaust manifolds. but I can tell you that the F-Body ones do work out well as far as clearance and exit location. (I did move the driver side front O2 senseor 90 degree to get a better clearance).

Another note.. if you do headers.. using differnt plate with different headers manufacturs may or may not work out.. best not to mix and match plates and headers from different manufacturs (unless it is known to work).

Good luck.

Last edited by bczee; 05-30-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there a comparison of A-body Adapter plates?