Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good..any more updates..?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

any tie rod clearance problems? any more pics of the pan on the car? header clearance pics. i am thinking of getting the same pan and have not seen any one post pics of it fitted yet.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rallystyle
any tie rod clearance problems? any more pics of the pan on the car? header clearance pics. i am thinking of getting the same pan and have not seen any one post pics of it fitted yet.
I need to catch up documenting the rest of the build but the install is finished and it's running great (although still in break-in period). There's no other clearance issues to report. I did have the passenger side header clearance issue I mentioned earlier which I resolved by putting a 1/8 inch "dimple" in one of the header tubes. If you have any particular angles you want me to take pictures of, let me know and I'll try to post them.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

So what adapter plates and mounts did you end up with..? the edelbrock ones..? You said you needed some shims or spacers to get the oil pan clearance correct..? Thank for the help, Steven
Old 06-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boostin05blacksti
So what adapter plates and mounts did you end up with..? the edelbrock ones..? You said you needed some shims or spacers to get the oil pan clearance correct..? Thank for the help, Steven
Yep, I used the Edelbrock adapter plates with some spacers and the "short and wide" style mounts to give me the proper oil pan clearance. Check a few posts back for details.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Default Mating the transmission

Since I already had a strong 200-4R transmission (Art Carr) and torque converter, I wanted to keep this setup vs. going to a newer electronic transmission. Anyone who's connected an LS engine to an older transmission (TH 200, 350, 400, 700, etc) knows there's a few ways to do it right and a dozen ways to do it wrong. Since the LS engines have a shorter crank, you need to use either a crank adapter to meet up with the torque converter, an aftermarket flexplate that has an adapter built in, or a special conversion torque converter with a longer snout to keep the torque converter pushed back where it should be. However, all the adapters I found where for LS engines with a 6 bolt crank but the LSX has an 8 bolt crank. I then came across the Hughes LS1 crank spacer so I didn't have to worry about the crank holes.

I then took the OEM LSX flexplate to a machine shop and had three of the existing holes elongated by approx. 1/4 inch to match up with my torque converter. Now with the engine in the car, the flexplate on the engine, and the crank spacer installed in the crank, I moved the transmission and torque converter forward into place and bolted the transmission case to the stock engine block bolt holes (minus 1 which the LS engines don't use). Next I bolted up the torque converter and because I placed the LSX engine in the same place as my original Chevy small block, the transmission and crossmember went into their original positions and the stock length driveshaft could be re-used.

Last edited by Weekendbob; 07-31-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you do drive by wire or cable? Curious to know what you did about the tv cable.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Did you do drive by wire or cable? Curious to know what you did about the tv cable.
I stayed with the TV cable connected to the FAST EZ-EFI thottle body which sits on top of the manifold. It uses the Holley TV cable adapters.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Default Final Pics of Engine

Here are some final pictures of the installed engine. I spent a lot of time trying to hide the wiring and plumbing to keep it looking clean and simple. I'll come back later to document the fuel and ignition system.

The picture below shows a closeup of the Moroso ignition coil relocation brackets I used. They worked great for my purposes and much cheaper than some of the other products on the market. You can also see the GMPP LSX ignition controller which is made by MSD. The Aeromotive pressure regulator is visible in the picture on the fenderwell. The FAST fuel injection controller I mounted high on the firewall hidden by the drivers side fender.

Last edited by Weekendbob; 07-31-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that is awesome very nice car and clean install, how do you like it?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Looks nice. Why did you choose that FEAD though?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have ur first pic saved as my wall paper on my computor.. nice car and motor..
Old 07-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Looks nice. Why did you choose that FEAD though?
I have a page and a half of front end accessory drive comparison notes somewhere. In summary, I wanted something that looked good, was least likely to cause any clearance problems, was compact, and top mounted the compressor and alternator. Those requirements really narrowed the field. I had good luck with March products on my Chevy smallblock and their LS1 kit included the waterpump which was a big plus. The only thing I didn’t like about the kit was that the power steering pump did not have an integrated reservoir so I had to purchase and install a remote mount one which you can see in this pic.

Update 7/31/2015. I had to ditch the March remote P/S reservoir. I was getting too many air bubbles in the fluid which I thought was a leak in the lines. Turned out the reservoir was simply too small and was allowing air to mix in with the fluid. I switched to a larger Billet Specialties reservoir and have had no issues.

Last edited by Weekendbob; 07-31-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by welldonecj7
that is awesome very nice car and clean install, how do you like it?
Thanks. It's running great and has been a big hit at the local saturday night musclecar gatherings. I still have about 80 miles left out of the 500 mile break-in before I can open it up. Since I'm only running 275 size tires on the back, I imagine I'll have a hard time keeping the rear end planted
Old 08-01-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice looking Chevelle. Looks like it's a very fun car to drive.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Default Fuel System

I mentioned I’d document my choice of fuel systems for this install. I thought long and hard about carbed versus fuel injection. My long term goal was definitely fuel injection for the better start-ups, idle quality and tuneability. Once I realized that I was going to have to run an electric fuel pump and new fuel lines anyway for this engine, I decided to jump in with F.I. as long as I could find a TBI fuel injection setup with a high enough horsepower rating. A few calls to F.A.S.T. and they assured me that if I ran a big enough fuel pump at 60 PSI, their FAST EZ-EFI could support 600 - 650 HP. It’s possible this engine puts out more than that so I may be giving up some ponies on the top end but I love the ease of use and consistency of this fuel injection system as well as the stealth look of TBI. I used primarily Aeromotive components (700 HP EFI pump, 100 and 10 micron filters, compact fuel pressure regulator) and tied it all together with 8 AN and 6 AN braided fuel lines (feed and return).

Last edited by Weekendbob; 08-17-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Picture added
Old 08-01-2010, 06:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the Fast system seem to be doing what it's designed to do, as in, is the driveability and power smooth?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Everything I have heard so far on this system has been very positive! For a set-up like what he did...and what I am in the process of doing...it is a no-brainer! It is compact, gives you all the positives of FI, but virtually eliminates the negatives.

For under $2000 (if you already have your fuel system - something you generally will have to do on any build like this) you will have a self-contained system that is way easier to sort out than the stock system - if you are approaching it never having done EFI tuning.

If you have solid building techniques (i.e. a capable fuel systems) and can read directions properly, you answer a few questions and fire it up...it is really that simple. Follow the "learning" procedure they direct you to do and it is game on!

Originally on my build I was going to go FAST XFI with a turbo, etc...but I realized I am never going to fully enjoy that much power and a REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to cage this 442 I am working on. SO...I am going with the EZ-EFI like Bob did and keeping the factory W30 air cleaner assembly that drew air from the wells...It is a perfect blend of old and new!

Looks awesome Bob, when you get a chance, please gives us your synopsis of the FAST EZ-EFI install and initial fire-up. Also, did you use a sumped tank or go with a Rick's/Rock Valley Stainless?

Thanks and again, LOVE IT man!

Dave
Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

What the heck is going on with this?!?!? We need videos...PICS!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a hella badass ride! I want a '70 Chevelle SS so bad!

Quick Reply: LSX 454 / 2004R into '70 Chevelle SS