Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autokraft LS3 Oil Fiter Adapter Modification

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autokraft LS3 Oil Fiter Adapter Modification

I'm installing an LS3 with custom headers (that go with the aftermarket subframe I'm using) in a '68 Camaro. I had to use an Autokraft pan for crossmember clearance, but have discovered that the headers interfere with the cover that goes right above the oil filter on the Autokraft oil filter adapter.

Here's the adapter and the headers:

Here's the cover that needs to be bolted to the adapter right where the headers are nearest to the adapter:

My tentative plan is to have the oil filter adapter hogged out between the two sides, so the crossover otherwise provided by the cover is entirely within the oil filter adapter, and then to have a flat plate made to seal the opening.

Any reason anyone can think of why this is a bad idea?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have the right idea. I was thinking the same thing as I read the post. Take it to a machine shop and have them mill a groove about 1/2" wide and deep, then make a 1/4" cover plate.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why I did not go with the autokraft oil pan, beacuse I have seen too many guys have problems with them wether it be something like this or interference with steering parts etc...... Good luck.....
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
You have the right idea. I was thinking the same thing as I read the post. Take it to a machine shop and have them mill a groove about 1/2" wide and deep, then make a 1/4" cover plate.
Thanks. I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but you always like to check.

Originally Posted by bozzhogg
This is why I did not go with the autokraft oil pan, beacuse I have seen too many guys have problems with them wether it be something like this or interference with steering parts etc...... Good luck.....
I can't blame this on Autokraft - aftermarket subframe, custom headers - they can't take everything into account. That said, having to drill out the holes for the two "extra" bolts that hold the adapter to the pan, and having to grind the rear flange of the pan for clearance between the pan and the block saver plate - not the best part I've ever purchased.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkelcy
Thanks. I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but you always like to check.

I can't blame this on Autokraft - aftermarket subframe, custom headers - they can't take everything into account. That said, having to drill out the holes for the two "extra" bolts that hold the adapter to the pan, and having to grind the rear flange of the pan for clearance between the pan and the block saver plate - not the best part I've ever purchased.
Damns, thats alot ...... good luck
Old 06-11-2010, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

I had the same interference issue with my Autofkraft pan/Edelbrock headers and I did exactly what you suggested and it works fine. I went fairly deep to allow as much oil to pass through that area as I imagined would have with the block off plate.

As to Autokraft parts fitting, every single part I bought that was supposed to fit my application needed to be modified/fit in some way. This didn't seem to be too big of a deal to me-there were a lot worse.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Launching!

It would be nice if autokraft would make an option for this adapter, one as you have, and one that would bypass the need for that block off plate like you are doing.....
Old 09-23-2010, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

that suck

Quick Reply: Autokraft LS3 Oil Fiter Adapter Modification