Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic/info request Turbo Ls1 into early f body/nova

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pic/info request Turbo Ls1 into early f body/nova

So i have 3700 miles on my ls1 swap.. its running strong. Now i'm planning on starting stage 2 of my ls1 swap shortly, its in a 67 camaro (planning on a 70mm single, goal is 500rwhp), looking for info/ pictures of turbo placement and plumbing, manifolds/headers used, intercooler mounting, oil drain location, or anyother info that would be helpful.
I found a 4th gen hotside kit on ebay for 525... it looks like it would almost fit if i relocate my alt. Has anyone tried it?

I will be documenting my build here, and would love to have a collection of other builds together to refrence. Thanks for all of your help!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used two left side Grand Prix/Monte 5.3 manifolds, built the hot side from 2.5" bends from Summit and am using approx 70mm turbo.
If I did it again, Id build a set of headers from schedule 10 weld l's.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Heres a picture for ya.
some more stuff-
-Treadstone intercooler off Ebay, quality piece
-Oil feed is from tapped adapter on left rear of oil pan, -4an
-Drain is -10 on right side of pan, about 1/3 of the way back, and as high as possible, above oil level.
-dont try truck manifolds, they wont fit
-check MeanyellowZ's build for C6 manifold turbo builds
-Raceparts solutions has silicone hose etc
-Master Power 70 with .96 ar would prob suit your needs
-try to use Bosch fuel pump in the tank for low noise and good reliabilty, 044??
Good luck with your build, mines been a battle, but finally getting there. Plenty of guys on here that build them like they dont sleep at night!!
Attached Thumbnails Pic/info request Turbo Ls1 into early f body/nova-nova-013.jpg  
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Launching!

thanks for all the info... the driverside manifold looks perfect, Do you have any more pics of the passengerside plumbing. Your setup looks exactly like i had pictured mine looking in my mental bluprint..

if your going with headers in the future, i would be intrested in your hot side parts...
do you have room for the a/c compressor in the stock location? is there room for one if i did a high mounting (like most turbo 4th gen alt relocation?) any more pics or info would be great, I really like your setup... I'm only looking for 500rwhp, so the manifolds/pipes should be fine for that power level.
will your inner fenders fit with the manifolds you have? how do you route the pass side exhaust to the turbo? under the waterneck?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Very clean build LS1Nova. I too would like to see more of your passenger side hot plumbing. Where did you relocate the coils too?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

LS1NOVA - That looks killer! Great work.

Here is the thread on the Nova I recently completed. Definitely doesn't lay out the best aesthetically, but it gets the job done for a budget setup. C6 Corvette flipped manifold setup with a Master Power T70. FYI, the owner just got back from the power tour, drove it a ton of miles, got 26mpg and the car made 515/ wheels on 8 pounds of boost.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...urbo-done.html
Old 06-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
LS1NOVA - That looks killer! Great work.

Here is the thread on the Nova I recently completed. Definitely doesn't lay out the best aesthetically, but it gets the job done for a budget setup. C6 Corvette flipped manifold setup with a Master Power T70. FYI, the owner just got back from the power tour, drove it a ton of miles, got 26mpg and the car made 515/ wheels on 8 pounds of boost.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...urbo-done.html
did you remove the booster to make room for the c6 manifolds? will the master Cyl Clear the pipe if there is the booster? i would really like to keep my power brakes
Old 06-21-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Klimaxx
did you remove the booster to make room for the c6 manifolds? will the master Cyl Clear the pipe if there is the booster? i would really like to keep my power brakes

Yes, unfortunately the lack of room killed the brake booster. On a side note I prefer properly setup manual brakes. With the right sized - quality master cylinder, manual brakes aren't even noticeable. That particular Nova drives great.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

The passenger side is pretty tight to the engine and the charge pipe wraps around the thermostat/water pump area. Definately no room for a/c unless down lower and out on drivers side. Inner fenders fit fine with a slight dimple for the turbo exh housing.
The coils are down on the side of the block and have cut to fit LT1 wires from jegs. I doubt a booster would fit with this combo either. For 500 rwhp, I would probably go with a 6.2/L92 heads and bigger cam and keep it simple. FI required a lot of stuff to buy, BOV, wastegate, intercooler, etc. Im going to bump up the power after a while, that was my reasoning for the turbo.

Quick Reply: Pic/info request Turbo Ls1 into early f body/nova