Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who wants to see LS power in a 1960 CJ5?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who wants to see LS power in a 1960 CJ5?

I know where a 1960 Jeep CJ5 is for $1,100. The frame is good, but the body is nothing but rust. It is 4 wheel drive and according to novak-adapt.com I can get everything for the swap.

If I could pull it off, should I keep the 4wd or throw a T-56 in there for kicks and wheelies?

The biggest deal here is that I want to do something that is not as common as building an F body. I still have a long road to finish my Firebird, but I really like the idea of this project.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been kind of hung up on the LS1 Jeep idea lately also.

DO IT!!

A fiberglass tub means less weigh and no more rust ever...

And yes, 4x4 and manual trans!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

I am pretty sure the Opti in my car is going to the scrap heap soon, so I am probably going to trade my Formula for some cash and the Jeep. The cash should cover most of the swap expenses minus the motor. Maybe I should keep the 4x4 and get a beefy rear end to get wheelies AND off road capability.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Wink

I've got a 5.3 I'm thinking of putting in my 56 ****** jeep. Was saving it for my conv 65 chevelle. Might be a lot of motor for my jeep. I've swaped a 6.0 in my 68 camaro & it's pretty quick! Love the ls motors.
I'm still debating.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can tell you that a 5.3 jeep is fun as hell. LS jeep would be better. Stay 4wd you'll still have no issues with wheelies. Any idea what axles it has under it?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:42 AM
On The Tree

They are teeny tiny... maybe a Dana variant? I am not sure what they used in 1960. The 7.5 rear under my car is large compared to this one. Even if I was easy on it it I don't think it would take too long to break them.

I have an AWD Astro van and the idea came to make the Jeep AWD. The Jeep is just too damn short. No room for a rear drive shaft with the long auto transmission and much larger transfer case. That would definitely be original though.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw this in Reno it was a older Toy FJ with a 6.0l.. nice..

You know.... I sometime have to laugh when I see thread like "Most Unique", "has it been done", "would like to", etc.. These Gen III/IV engines have been out for what 13+ years now. its been just about swapped into everything you can think of now.. (not trying putting anyone down, but).
The Gen III/IV seem to be the main stay of swappers now. Imports, sand rails, rock crawler, drag cars, all kind of truck, etc, Small cars, big cars, you name it now..LOL

But its still cool to see someone do them, but it is no longer a surprise like it used to be.. I am expecting the extreme now !

have fun !
Old 06-26-2010, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

I expect to go big or go home as well, and I have seen all kinds of small block swaps in the larger CJ7's, but none in a CJ5. In my area, there are a hundred Jeeps, but only one has a small block, and that's a 1st gen SBC. It will be fairly unique for the area I am in.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

I have found that the Jeep has a Dana 25 or 27 front and 44 rear. Apparently the 44 has a 2 piece shaft, which is weaker than a 1 piece shaft. Does anyone know the capabilities of these axles in stock form?

My motor of choice to stay within the strength of the trans and transfer case will probably be the L33 or LM4. These aluminum motors should actually weigh just a bit less than the original 470 lb Hurricane I4 motor. All I will have is an electric water pump and altenator. Ratings are 325 ft lbs and 295 or 310 hp at the crank to play with in a 2259 lb body. Assuming a 28" tire and 4.10 gears, is anyone willing to calculate an E.T. and MPH in the 1/4?

Last edited by Slowmo_Bird94; 06-27-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know for sure on the power it would be able to take with the rearends with the two piece but I know that they are not super strong. Things that will effect this will be how you drive, tire size, gearing, and transmission just like with any rearend. Yours being a 1960 should be the offset style rearend correct? You would benifit by going to a different transfercase and like the Dana 20 that would be center rear and that would give you more options for a rearend. You could also consider Dana 300 transfer case or even something like atlas or one of the gm transfercases however think most of those are longer. If you did this you would have option to go with some of the factory jeep rearends still or would just make narrowing a aftermarket one easier. Plus the Dana 18 transfercase is not the toughest transfercase avaliable for sure. All depends on your goals and budget.

You can fit automatics in them it is a snug fit but can be done for sure. Three of my cousins have cj5 with sbc in them one is running a muncie 4spd and the other two run a th350. If you are really worried about the length of them there is a local company that designed a short adapter for it and it makes it very about 2 inches shorter than the advanced adapters or novak adapters. If you would like to know more about this pm me and I will try to get you more info on it. The 4l60e with a novak adapter is about the same length as the th350 with the advanced adapters one so that would be a good option as well.

I dont know what trans you are running in it now but assuming that it is the factory 3 speed. I would deff upgrade from this if you are planning on going with the v8. The autos obviously will be much easier on the drivetrain and you will have less breaking.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

The problem with this Jeep's drive train is the length and drive shaft angle. The transmission is only 9" long, and the transfer case is only 14". The drive shaft is also plenty short. I would like to keep the 4 wheel drive, even though I do not plan on heavy off roading.

This thing will also only weigh 2500 lbs. With some easy shifting and easing onto the power I think it would be fine except for the axles. I have read many times that these pieces can handle v-8 power. Nothing is invincible, as these are small and light components.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know that they are pretty short however I would deff look into swapping the trans if I were you, you will be happy in the end. Both of the th350 in my cousins work very well. Yes the drivelines are short but there have been a lot of people who have done this swap around here and they work well. One of my cousins is lifted 4" with 33" tires and hasn't had any issues with the drivelines. I dont know your intentions for the jeep but it will deff be more reliable and a lot more fun with a better transmission, plus to run the stock one you will have to buy a adapter for the bellhousing.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Well, I really want wheelies but I also want the ability to go off road. If anything I will probably do an NV4500 and 12 bolt.

Anybody want to buy a firechicken really cheap???
Old 06-28-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slowmo_Bird94
Well, I really want wheelies but I also want the ability to go off road. If anything I will probably do an NV4500 and 12 bolt.

Anybody want to buy a firechicken really cheap???

Just find an old jeep wagoneer and buy the whole thing just for the axles.

You can buy the whole vehicle for the price of what places charge for just the axles out of one. Somewhere in the $1100 range for some pretty solid dana 44's
Old 06-28-2010, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

That is one way to do it. I may just do away with the 4wd and get a 12 bolt.

I am more worried about just getting the thing drivable before anything else, I can find all my bushings and brake parts for about $600. The first thing that would need to be done is a tear the body off and saving the frame from the years of rust. It isn't bad, but should be taken care of before it gets there.

This is assuming the project ever gets going in the first place.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know of a 2wd front axle that will swap into the '60 CJ5?
Old 07-02-2010, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know how to chop the pumpkin in an axle and weld in a pipe and keep everything properly aligned? I am pretty sure I will end up going 2wd if I do this project.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Leave it alone and dont run a driveshaft to it. Easy 2WD
Old 07-02-2010, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

True, but cutting that chunk out reduces weight lol. Not that it would need the reduction coming in at about 2500 lbs.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not advise the nv4500 for hot rodding, if you want to do like rock crawling that is a good trans but if you are wanting to rod it, sand race etc that is a bad choice. If you want manual trans go with something like a muncie or a ford top loader, since you are worried about being short those both can be 4wd also. You can still do wheelies if it has a front drive axle.

As for the front axle there are lots of choices, cheapest and easiest to come buy prob be the jeep dana 30. There are jeep cj so you would have to cut and narrow and wagoneer which are wider, dana 44 as well they will cost some more. If you dont care as much about cost and work to cut down there are dana 60 front and ford 9".

If i were you I would go with something like a Dana 60, ford 9" or 14 bolt over the 12 bolt for the rear end.

Auto will be easier on parts and they fit fine in the jeeps, even in the smaller cj5, if you want to build like race type then you can always build one and do a transbrake with high stall etc. If you prefer manual I an are wanting to have more hot rod type jeep then I would go with one of the ones that I had said, if you are only going to run 2wd then you have more options with the manual trans as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who wants to see LS power in a 1960 CJ5?