Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are these?? (and do I need them?)

Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are these?? (and do I need them?)

Well I hope these are not stupid questions, but there are some things on my LY6/4L80E out of a 2009 Van that I am not sure exactly what they are, or if I need to have them in my 1972 Nova...

First one is attached to the fuel rail on the driver's side. My guess is it has something to do with fuel vapor...

Second is at the transmission. It has a Y that one end goes to something that looks like a vent, and one end goes to an unknown spot (was already cut when I picked up motor and trans)...

Third, I am pretty sure that this line is a vacuum source for something, but I wanted to find out for certain what it is...

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) EVAP for the fuel vapor from the Tank
2) Vent
3) ? sorry... someone else ?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

#3 looks like an HVAC vacuum source. You may or may not need, depends on your A/C setup.

Also, #1 you don't need unless you're going full emmisions, otherwise delete it.

#2 You do need this. The end that isn't connected to anything, doesn't go to anything it's just routed away from the exhaust, incase the trans were to get really hot and puke trans fluid, it wouldn't dump on the hot exhaust and start a fire.

Last edited by ls1nova71; 06-23-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info.

Another question though, now that I will have two holes in the intake (will be removing the vapor hose, and since I won't have A/C, I will go ahead and take off the other hose also) what is the best thing to use to plug these open holes with?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was my guess on #3.. but figure someone would know for sure. You should be able to find rubber, plastic or ?? plugs at the local parts store.. just make sure the are secure in fit.

For larger holes. rubber freeze plugs can work.

Another option is that you can use that existing plug, cut/break off what you don't need and seal it up with some sealer or epoxy, then reinsert the plug / fitting.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Alright got a couple others, except these are electrical related. My main question here is that can I just completely delete these plugs? It appears that some wires enter and exit both of the plugs.

First...

Second...

Third...can't find a picture of a connector that looks like this. I assume it isn't vital because none of the wires actually go to the ECM connectors (which is part of the reason I can't figure out what it is because its signal wire won't be on the pin out), but I wanted to make sure that was a safe assumption before I discarded it and removed the wires.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Staging Lane

Anybody know???
Old 07-01-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Your best bet is going to be tracing the wires you're unsure of back to the PCM, they can be traced easily with a volt/ohm meter set to check continuity (where it beeps if there's continuity). If they don't go to it, like you stated that one plug does, then you're not going to need them. Basically, all you need is the wires in the main fuse box (the big one under the hood). The pink will almost always be key on power, and the orange will be your constant powers. There are others that will go to the brake light switch and things of that nature, but the pinks and oranges will get it running. The grounds should already hooked to the rear of the head, but there will be some that go to other areas. Most of the plugs you show are probably to the BCM and the guage cluster. I would suggest you find a wiring schematic for your engine, as that will make life alot easier. You might try www.lt1swap.com but I'm not sure if there's a diagram for a 2009 on there.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info...That's what I was thinking, that one of those plugs at least went to the BCM. And as far as the 3rd connector, I was a little hesitant to just write it off because it has a large ground and a large power wire (well, I am assuming it's power because it's red & black and coming from the fuse plug) going to it.

But anyway, thanks again.

I guess I will go ahead and ask here even though it doesn't really fit with the subject of the thread, but...I have been trying to figure out how to de-pin the E38 ECM connectors, and I can't find anything about it with a search. I figure it can't be as hard as I am making it, of course it might not help that the connectors were already broken when I got the engine. So is there a method to doing this that I am missing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are these?? (and do I need them?)