Sponsored by:

71 Nogo slowly getting a boring lq4/4l80 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 71 Nogo slowly getting a boring lq4/4l80 build

This is the story of my SLOW in progess lq4 swap in my 71 Nova

Thanks to a good tax return, I took the plunge and bought a 38K lq4 to put in the back of the garage until I sold of my 454/th350.

Got a buyer for the old drivetrain and now I have a non-operable car again (good at making these )

I have a ls6 cam, springs, pushrods, intake, retrolsx cast oil pan, f-body accessories, and ported tb ready to be installed

Right now, I am waiting to borrow some cam tools to do the swap. I am trying to get the small block frame mounts and need an f-body water pump, then I will try and do fitment into the car. Not sure on headers but thinking about the dynatech full length headers.

Before motor goes for a final install, I am installing a quick ratio power steering box from an 86 Monte Carlo SS. Also trying to get a lt1 fbody radiator/fans to install in the car also.

more to come......

Not sure on motor plates

Last edited by billsnogo; 07-07-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why the fbody radiator and fan?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The car shop plates are the ones to get. Looks good so far! The radiator from the big block wont work?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Launching!

The radiator went with the big block. The LT1 radiator/fans seem a cheap alternative as I can get them for $75, to get a new radiator and add a taurus fan would be $300 plus.

This is going to be pretty budget as I am currently laid off, so it will be a pretty boring swap to start with.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Launching!

I have read a few post about the f-body alternator hitting the subframe, has anyone experianced this, and if so, what motor plates did you use?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Universal aluminum radiator for around $150 and a Taurus or Mark 8 fan from Upullrparts for $16. The F body radiator are fairly wide for a nova core support.
Most, if not all mounts will require a small cutout at the alternator. Mine required a large cutout due to engine setback.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Universal aluminum radiator for around $150 and a Taurus or Mark 8 fan from Upullrparts for $16. The F body radiator are fairly wide for a nova core support.
Most, if not all mounts will require a small cutout at the alternator. Mine required a large cutout due to engine setback.
Crap, I rather not cut the subframe..... maybe I better buy another accessory drive setup.

Any interference with your power booster?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

You could use a truck balancer and water pump, modify the water neck if using a LS1 manifold, and space out the f body alternator. Otherwise the truck alternator brakcets end up sticking up pretty high.

Manual 4 whl discs on mine. No booster
Old 06-29-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Following.. ! I got one of them 71 Nova Non-ops cars too. Seem I've got that done pretty good too. I'm done with most of my engine work.. will start mocking soon engine to frame soon... guess I'll have to get a thread going as well.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
Following.. ! I got one of them 71 Nova Non-ops cars too. Seem I've got that done pretty good too. I'm done with most of my engine work.. will start mocking soon engine to frame soon... guess I'll have to get a thread going as well.
And I will be watching for it too

LS1Nova, I think I may go with the universal radiator instead with the taurus fan, but have time to think about that one since I need to find out what I am going to use to put this thing in the car
Old 06-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Launching!

I got the ls6 cam swapped in, but should have asked this question first:

Can I use the seals/retainers/keepers from the lq4 with the yellow springs? They all looked the same. I did use the pushrods from the cam, even though the length was the same. For some reason I thought they were longer :shrug:

I am now waiting for the timing cover seal, and looking for a cheaper oil pan gasket as $50 seems a bit much. May cheap out and reuse the old one as it looks good, just need to drill out the rivets.

Last edited by billsnogo; 06-30-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

You can reuse the old one as long as it looks good. The retainers/locks are fine too.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Okay, I got everything back together other than the oil pan, I got a fitting included (retro lsx/ jzmotorworks oil pan) that I have no idea what it is for. Does anyone know what it is for?

I found that heating up the pulley make is a piece of cake to just slide it right on, no long bolt needed. Hope it didn't hurt the new timing cover/crank seal
Attached Thumbnails 71 Nogo slowly getting a boring lq4/4l80 build-oil-pan-plug.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

It's looking good Bill......

Is that the oil filter center stem...can't get a size from the picture....

T,
Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is for the oil filter, it should thread into the oil pan.. and then your oil filter will screw on to that.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill Yes the part you have pictured is indeed the oil filter threaded boss. It only fits in one way and uses a PF48 ac delco filter or equivalent.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Doh, should have known that

Thanks guys. I am guessing I should apply some thread sealant on that to stop it from vibrating out.

Hopefully sometime in the next couple of weeks I can get the test fitting started as I have ordered the frame mounts, already have the motor mounts, and have two different e-bay motor plates coming (to see which way the motor fits best).

edit: it is now complete again, and now I need to tear off the front sheet metal of the nogo so moving the motor/tranny in and out will be easier

I think something is wrong in this pic.....

Anyone know how to take a throttle body apart? This one is powder coated red and does not really fit in with anything

Last edited by billsnogo; 06-30-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Well, been working on getting the old steering box out, and the new one in, have it in except for alignment with steering wheel is off.

Drilled and tapped hole in drivers side of block so I could mount the f-body alternator, as the truck blocks did not have this boss drilled and tapped

I got it pretty close to where it should have been, but it is slighty off as you can see the bolt is not perfectly centered, but still can get the bolt in without much trouble, but did not tap it quite far enough, I need to get a bolt 1/2" shorter

Now the alternator is mounted so I can bolt in the frame stands and hopefully start to trial fit the motor. I will clean and possibly paint the alternator bracket, but the alternator will stay dirty as I would need to disassemble the alternator to get it looking new and not interested in tearing it apart right now

that is all
Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Default first fit of engine=FAIL!

Tried placing the lq4 and 4l80e into the nova and not even close to fitting.

I am using the tall/wide frame stands from tamraz off of ebay.

Energy suspension motor mounts part #31114g

Motor swap plates off of ebay (no setback) that look the same as these
http://matt.undiagnosed.org/ls1/imag...ount_plate.jpg
but I did not measure like an idiot

Well, anyways, when I tried the fitment with no load plate and trying to drop the motor in with the motor mounts attached to frame stands and this is what happened on the passengers side, it looks all good

but on the drivers side it is way off. The jz motorsports oil pan that is supposed to be a good swap for these cars hits the crossmember before it will drop anymore, and even then it doesn't look like it will line up the holes

So I tried it with the load plate to try and raise it a bit and the drivers side hooked up, but this is the passengers side, again the oil pan hits the crossmember, but even if it did not, it looks like it will not be even close

Any ideas?

Last edited by billsnogo; 07-25-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Is it just me or are those frame stands shorter than the ones on page 4 of this article?
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/68CamaroBlower.pdf

*EDIT* According to this there a few variations on the frame stands. Maybe you need some taller ones. Can you measure from the frame to the center of the mounting holes on yours?
http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_engine.htm

Quick Reply: 71 Nogo slowly getting a boring lq4/4l80 build