Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s14 vs s10

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s14 vs s10

currently have both vehicles available price is somewhat close on both of them. also sourced a 5.3 to do the swap into either. if it were you and your money which would you do? which would be easier and more cost effective? the idea behind this build is to have something no one in town has and still maintain driveablity. ultimate goal is a high or mid 12 second pass all motor and still functional enough for daily use. also going 4l60e i think, and attempting to retain a/c. summers here in central missouri get awful humid for a fat guy.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Teching In

I think keeping a/c in the s-10 will be hard to do
Old 06-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

ive heard notching the frame is a must. good thing with all of this, ijust helped my gm mechanic friend move so he told me he owes me lol.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Launching!

s10 - notch frame for a/c compressor clearance, you will have to notch all the way through the frame to get it to clear, but it will fit. Use H3 pan/pickup, unless you want to clear the crossmember for the truck pan to clear, even then, for you it will hang 1" lower than the crossmember. Aside from that, it is a very easy swap. I did a 1998 2 door Jimmy with a LQ4/4L60E. Jimmy's and blazer's have a 1" body lift and 1" motor lift, so we had no issues aside from notching the frame for a/c and the crossmember. we used stock truck pan, since we had the 1" motor lift, it was flush with the crossmember.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't already have a truck, then I think the S10 is more practical.
I have a truck already so if these were my two choices then yes I would go S14.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Ive comtemplated these two swaps, now i will say the s10 looks to be the easier swap with more swap parts available and at a lower cost but teh s14 weighs quite a bit less and will get you to your mid 12 sec goal with less modifications. The s14 would also be my choice if you want to go wit something you wont see around but have no idea whether or not you can retain the ac.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Launching!

I'm in the process of making this swap as we speak, except I'm going with LS6/T56 with air. I notched the frame to keep the ac in the stock location with the LS6 brackets. The H3 5.3 pan is supposed to be a plug and play with a 2wd S10, however, it isn't proving to be the case with my truck (97 S10 2wd). I am going to have to notch the K member as there isn't enough clearance to move the engine forward enough for the valve covers to clear the firewall. I guess every vehicle has different tolerances as I've seen countless 2wd conversions that didn't have this problem.

Last edited by performinnorman; 06-30-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by performinnorman
I'm in the process of making this swap as we speak, except I'm going with LS6/T56 with air. I notched the frame to keep the ac in the stock location with the LS6 brackets. The H3 5.3 pan is supposed to be a plug and play with a 2wd S10, however, it isn't proving to be the case with my truck (97 S10 2wd). I am going to have to notch the K member as there isn't enough clearance to move the engine forward enough for the valve covers to clear the firewall. I guess every vehicle has different tolerances as I've seen countless 2wd conversions that didn't have this problem.

My 88 has had all kinds of fitment problems. I didn't want to use the LH8 pan and left the mounts sitting high, and moved the motor back and completely cut up the firewall. To get the motor where I wanted it and fit things- it was a mission. I cut a lot out of the crossmember and boxed it in for things to fit. Overall it wasn't *TOO* much work, but it depends on what you're after. My s10 is pretty useful I think because its a pick up, its sorta nice to have because I don't have one..... however the 240 is a great car and a great platform and LSX power in these is awesome. I guess it depends more what you want to do with it.

I'd rock the 240 in a heartbeat for autox, drifting, roadcourse, and daily use. I'd rock the s10 just as quick (and I have one!) because its a good little pickup and a lot of fun. Tough call!!!!

And my truck pan might hang down an inch if that. I'm not too worried.

Quick Reply: s14 vs s10