Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 Camaro w/LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 76 Camaro w/LS1

Got my conversion running yesterday. This is a GTO LS1 with 243 heads and a 220 dur on 114 lsa cam. Got it hooked up with a turbo 350. I used the Edelbrock headers and 1" set back plates. Still need to hook up the exhaust but so far, pretty happy with the results.

I used the KWIK AC brackets, and I used a 78 Trans Am drop pitman arm and center link so the steering would clear the alternator.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Let me throw this fuel pump setup that I found. I was looking at the different options on pumps and was going with the Tanks, Inc type. Then I started looking at some Ford pump assemblies.

Here's the first setup, a Fox body Mustang that I decided that I could use. I got a tank and pump, cut out the mounting ring and was going to weld it in my tank. Easy fix, except the pump was going to interfer with my sender and the pump was about an inch short.

So, I looked further and found that Ford started using a bolt in pump just like the Tanks unit.
Explorer unit (5/16" fuel line) - $30 shipped off eBay

E150 unit (3/8" fuel line) - $29 shipped off eBay

I didn't have a junk tank to cut the mounting ring out of so I made one and welded it in the tank... if I was doing it over again, I'd go to Pull-A-Part and get a complete tank and cut out the ring.

I used the E150 (2005) unit and had to cut 1/2" off the length of it but it works perfect.

Here it is mounted.. pump unit was $29 shipped off eBay, the mount I made was $6 + my welding.

Hope this helps as a cheap pump setup for you guys, sure works for me.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Nice John!!! I´ve just started mine a few weeks ago.. 50-60 lbs of oil pressure now just figuring out why the idle is to high..
Old 07-05-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

John,
Good idea. I never concidered using Ford pickup assembly.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Nice!! I'm doing a 79 TA.. will I need to worry about the pitman arm or will mine have the drop too? Hopefully the fuel set up works for mine because the car had a 95 LT1 in it so the fuel system should just hook up and need to be adjusted
Old 07-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rick Speed
Nice!! I'm doing a 79 TA.. will I need to worry about the pitman arm or will mine have the drop too? Hopefully the fuel set up works for mine because the car had a 95 LT1 in it so the fuel system should just hook up and need to be adjusted
Rick, mine had a flat straight pitman arm and a low mount alternator (04 GTO). The arm hit the alternator hard, no way it would work. The 78 TA I parted had a 1" drop down arm in the steering box. I swapped it out and I decided to change the center link to make it a matched set (they are different too).
Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by patoruzrs73
Nice John!!! I´ve just started mine a few weeks ago.. 50-60 lbs of oil pressure now just figuring out why the idle is to high..

I know that you gotta be happy to not pull the pan again. You might check the program in the pcm to see what the idle is set at?
Old 07-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JJFarmer
I know that you gotta be happy to not pull the pan again. You might check the program in the pcm to see what the idle is set at?
what program do you use? maybe need to buy one, looking hptunners to get involve in tunning...
Old 07-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Hey looking good. I've ot an 81 T/A with LS2 in the works and I like the fuel pump cost of that.
What are you going to use for Baffles?

Keep up the great work!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That engine looks right at home.

Nice work !
Old 07-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Great looking build. With using the Edelbrock set back mounts, did you have to move your trans crosssmember back or shorten your diveshaft at all?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chiefs75
Great looking build. With using the Edelbrock set back mounts, did you have to move your trans crosssmember back or shorten your diveshaft at all?
No, I just loosened up the trans mount nuts so it could shift around some as I installed it. The trans and shaft are still stock.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

what kinda flex plate did you use?im having some serious trouble with getting my th350 to seat all the way up against the block.im using a TCI flexplate for a ls to th350 swap and the .400' spacer.it says to put the spacer between the crank and the flexpalte but i dont see how the starter works like that?it sets the flexpalte out on the nose of the starter.im at a loss right now.id dont know if im missing something or what the deal is.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Thanks,

I went back and looked I know you said the headers were Edelbrock, Im assuming the motor mount plates were Edelbrock as well? Cant wait to see more progress on this build. Keep it going!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default radiator hoses

Hey, car looks great, what radiator hoses are you using? What did you you use for steering pump hoses
Old 07-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1994t/a
what kinda flex plate did you use?im having some serious trouble with getting my th350 to seat all the way up against the block.im using a TCI flexplate for a ls to th350 swap and the .400' spacer.it says to put the spacer between the crank and the flexpalte but i dont see how the starter works like that?it sets the flexpalte out on the nose of the starter.im at a loss right now.id dont know if im missing something or what the deal is.
Mine has a flat flex plate with the spacer out to the trans. It didn't move the flywheel location. Something doesn't sound right on yours.

On my coolant hoses, I bent some wires and measured the OD of the outlets, then went to the parts store to find what I needed. The lower I had to make from 2 hoses annd a coupling from Jags-That-Run

Same on the PS hose. I bent the wire for what I needed, that and I knew what ends I needed. I went to NAPA and they made it for me...CHEAP ~#$25
Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chiefs75
Thanks,

I went back and looked I know you said the headers were Edelbrock, Im assuming the motor mount plates were Edelbrock as well? Cant wait to see more progress on this build. Keep it going!

I used some steel 1" set back plates off eBay...~$35
Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

are those videos with open headers?

and who do you plan to control the ac?

what compressor is it? thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Jeeeeezzz

They let anyone in this place.

Congrats brother. Now go layout some serious rubber siggy's. Then come back and tell everyone on Nastyz
how much more fun the LS motor is , and you're kicking yourself in the *** silly for not doing it sooner. LOL
Old 08-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

JJFarmer-I like the clean install of the Ford fuel pump, looks great. After seeing yours I’m looking at the same install. Do you know what the output is on that pump and will it keep up with a few mods? I’m doing a LQ9 install on 74 Camaro and am using Patriot Stage III 317 heads and probably Comps x-treme 224/230 cam. I just want a good street car and hope this pump setup will work. I am new to the site and to the LS engine and can’t wait to play.

I’m planning on keeping the truck intake because like you I have an aftermarket hood, but would love to put back on the factory hood. Do you have plenty of hood clearance from the top of the intake/tb? Thanks, for any help or comments.

Quick Reply: 76 Camaro w/LS1