Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor mount/plate issue

Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default motor mount/plate issue

I have tried three different motor mounts including the energy suspension mounts and all three have a ridge on the back of them that prevents them from laying flat against my conversion motor plate that I bought off of ebay, but is the same as the one on here that others used the template to make.

Is there a way to get around this other than cut out a notch or put washers behind the motor mount like I have done so far?

Old 07-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

i just grinded the bump off. i wouldnt trust the washers plus might make the mount line up.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No reason to not just grind that bump out and call it a day. Spacing out the mounts might cause them not to line up.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Launching!

So you guys have shown no weakening with grinding that down? I don't want to make any of this weak enough that it will bend/deform.

thanks guys
Old 07-10-2010, 06:01 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Yep, just grind that bump off. Some of the non-ebay type plate mounts are slotted nowadays for the bump. I think on my Energy Suspension mounts that "bump" was just poly, so it bolted down just fine to my flat trans-dapt plates.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Bill, gouge out the adapter plate on your grinder, you can afford to lose surface area there, more than you can afford to grind the motor mount. Some of the plates I have seen, have the reflief cut out for the mount. You don't have to go all the way through, shouldn't hurt a thing.....

T,
Old 07-10-2010, 06:19 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Yep grinding the plate is an option as Tom stated. One other thing, many companies do not intend for you to use the Energy Suspension load plate, they want you to bolt the mount up directly without the included spacer. That might help, although I found that mine was harder to line up to the motor mount towers than I expected - it did line up once I had the engine at the exact right position with a prybar...
Old 07-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Yep grinding the plate is an option as Tom stated. One other thing, many companies do not intend for you to use the Energy Suspension load plate, they want you to bolt the mount up directly without the included spacer. That might help, although I found that mine was harder to line up to the motor mount towers than I expected - it did line up once I had the engine at the exact right position with a prybar...
I didn't think of that, the motor plate can act as the load plate. I am going to cut down on the poly on those mounts and give that a whirl. Seems the motor mounts are really tight fit (needed hammer to tap it on) to the frame stands, and yes I did match up the short and wide engine mounts with short and wide frame stands.

On with the fight
Old 07-10-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Energy Mount are designed to use the load plate when used with SBC or BBC engines and should be used with them.
But when used with plate adpaters on a Gen III/IV engine, you can do away with the load plate if you want to because the Adapter Plate will act as the Load plate.

IMO .. I would recommend putting a slot into the plate for the poly to be recessed into. (Got to figure that ES designed them that way for a reason).
Old 07-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
I found that mine was harder to line up to the motor mount towers than I expected - it did line up once I had the engine at the exact right position with a prybar...
I can see why. I was trial fitting the motor mounts off of the motor in my hand on the frame stands and could only get them aligned after three minutes of hitting it with the hammer back and forth until I could get the bolt through. It is really tight, and just does not want to line up well.

I might cheat and have the frame stands loosely bolted down with the motor mounds attached and try and line up the motor adapter plates to the motor mounts when dropping the motor in. We will see how that turns out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: motor mount/plate issue