Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft suggestion for Carb'd 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft suggestion for Carb'd 5.3

Since most cams out there are ground for FI. What are the carb'd guys running. Was thinking of running the LS-6, but I hear the wide LSA isn't ideal for carb'd motors.
I'm Running (for know) a stock 5.3L Longblock w-Edelbrock Perf.RPM and Edelbrock 600 CFM carb.
200-4R trans w-2400 stall converter.
3.73 rear gears w-26 inch tire
It's going in a 71 Chevelle and will be a driver. looking for a cam with broad power band.
Was looking at Comp Cams XR273HR for good power and drivabilty.
Suggestions?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go ahead & spend a few more dollars & get a custom ground cam...That's what I did & it isn't that much more than 1 off the shelf...that way you get exactly what you want & how you want it...Find a company that does them & let them know what your setup is & everything & they can make 1 just for you
Old 07-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a near identical swap scenario going in my 65 Skylark. I did a lot of reading and also called comp cams and spoke to some of their tech guys. For my swap they suggested the XR275HR. When I questioned them further about the preferences of the carbed motors vs the fuel injection motors, here is what they said:

"I would use our part number 54-426-11 in this setup. This is a 3 bolt camshaft. There is not much difference in selecting a cam for a EFI or Carbureted LSX engine. They still typically like a little wider LSA and typically either a 111 or 112 for a carb setup are best. This is completely dependant on application though of course.

Aaron Mick
COMP Cams Technical Consultant"

I would consider Comp Cams as good of expert advice as I might find on this topic. So, for me, it is case closed. I will be using a good old off the shelf XR275HR. I bet your XR273HR is an excellent choice for your combo. It is almost the same cam only 2 degrees less duration and slightly less lift. Probably perfect for the 5.3.

Quick Reply: Camshaft suggestion for Carb'd 5.3