Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short exhaust.... need quieter muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default short exhaust.... need quieter muffler

ok i did a 67 camaro 5.3 swap. when i did my exhaust i just did a super short ( like 2ft ) exhaust on it consisting of slp loudmouth 2 mufflers. problem is its really high pitched and raspy and im wondering what would be a good quieter muffler to go with on such a short exhaust to make it sound a little deeper i was thinkin about getting hooker aerochamber mufflers but idk. not really worried about if there restrictive or not just want something with a deeper and slightly quieter sound..... and if anyone has some id be willing to trade or buy a decent set of mufflers for a set of slp loudmouth 2
Old 07-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

dynomax thrush welded (cheap) but sound awesome! magnaflow (pricey) but will give you a nice mellow sound out of your short exhuast. look both of them up on youtube. I use to work at a muffler shop and we installed both and they were the mellowest.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had dynomax thrush welded on my 72 skylark, and it was nice for a loud drown down low. It basically a rip off flowmaster 40 series. In higher rpm it quiets down. Personally i didn't like them.

I'll be running two dynomax super turbo in the 25" length on my 5.3[true duels]. Can't comment on the sound since the motor i had is toast and im picking up another tomorrow and still need to fab up the whole exhaust, plus a few other things. They should be nicely pitched but on the much quieter side from what i've heard, and restrict very very little. I need something the girlfriend wont complain about getting into.

Youtube.com is your friend!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i try youtube.com alot but my problem is i cant find an exhaust that is short. most go all the way out. and i know its not gonna sound the same as full exhaust so im not sure what toget. yea thats alot of my problem is getting the gf in it lol
Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

This muffler is quiet and flows extremely well. I have been using them for years. Nice low mellow sound an never "barks":
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=superturbo
Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i used some dynomax ultroflo's on my l98 corvette and now have a borla on my camaro. the ultraflo's were awesome sounding, but they had that drone that just got annoying. The borla has no drone, but with full length headers and cats, it's still pretty raspy when you get on it, and i don't like the sound too much anymore.

i just saw that dynomax has some new mufflers , followed the link above that might work.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what do you mean by bark exactly lol. my biggest problem with what i have now is when i go to shift and push the clutch in and it makes this ugly *** raspy noise... that what u mean by bark ? if so im definitly getting those cause i want a lower sound that dont do that nasty sound in between gears
Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Once you get it on post up clips! I think yours will be on before mine!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNation0001
ok i did a 67 camaro 5.3 swap. when i did my exhaust i just did a super short ( like 2ft ) exhaust on it consisting of slp loudmouth 2 mufflers.
There are a few universal rules when it comes to exhaust.

The further the muffler is from the engine, the more effective (quieter) it is.

The longer the tail pipe, the noisier the exhaust.

The smaller the engine, the exhaust tone is higher pitched.

Years ago when I had my first car I went through several engine and exhaust combinations and found the above rules to be true.
The Dynomax Turbo mufflers (made by Walker) have been around longer than I care to remember and are my mufflers of choice. If I wanted to drive something that sounds like a bunch of marbles in a coffee can (Flowmasters) I would find myself an early '70s Kawasaki two stroke triple (the old guys will know what I'm talkin' about)

Ken
Old 07-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Teching In

can i buy your slp mufflers cheap then?
Old 07-18-2010, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Dynomax Superturbos are probably your best bet. They flow nearly as good as a straight through muffler (blow away any baffled design that wont be named **cough**flowmaster**cough**) and are really quiet with a deep rumble.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by grooves12
Dynomax Superturbos are probably your best bet. They flow nearly as good as a straight through muffler (blow away any baffled design that wont be named **cough**flowmaster**cough**) and are really quiet with a deep rumble.
Agreed, I love mine
Old 07-19-2010, 04:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanksguys looks like super turbos it is. What about the new dynomaxs that they just came out with the vt's with the valve in them. Anyone try em
Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Teching In

magnaflow muffs are quite
Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
I had dynomax thrush welded on my 72 skylark, and it was nice for a loud drown down low. It basically a rip off flowmaster 40 series.
I don't doubt what you say, but wanted to add the dynomax muffs have been around since the 60's. Not sure who copied who.

From a pure performance view it is hard to beat the dynomax muffs. Every car mag test I have read in the last 40 years shows them having about the lowest back pressure of any muff available.

I will also add that drone can be caused by the headers. I wouldn’t blame all that on the muff.

I like Kenova’s “universal rules”, but I have to question the rule saying the longer the tail pipe, the noisier the exhaust. By tail pipe I guess he means pipe after the muff. I have always heard the opposite, that not enough pipe after the muff makes things louder. Sure hope he is right, I have 3 inches of pipe after my muffs.

to the OP, do you have any sort of cross pipe? That might help balance out the exhaust note.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

here you go, check this out, this was done on a sbc. http://www.speedwaybids.com/forum/vi...349bbe454795bf

He references Car Craft, but not clear where the article is from. he also has some recommendations...quote...

"Recommendations:

1. Always use a crossover of one kind or another. Our tests indicate that the X type gives additional improvements over the H type.

2. Mount the mufflers as far to the rear of the chassis as possible. An important characteristic of the exhaust system (behind the headers) is its ability to dissipate heat energy. Heat loss brings with it, gas volume reduction, enabling smaller mufflers and pipes to be used without penalty.

3. Always us the largest case muffler that you can fit under the chassis possible. The larger internal volume allows additional acoustical energy to be absorbed ,dissipated and eliminated.

4. Unless an engine is in the 500+ horsepower level or run at very high RPM, the maximum tailpipe size required for minimal power loss is probably 2.5" diameter. When the exhaust pipes and mufflers drop the temperature significantly, the volume of the exhaust gas is reduced and tailpipe sizes is not as critical.

5. When you must adapt various pipe sizes, always use long tapered cone reducers, such as, those available from Flowmaster. You can also use a crossover that has reduced pipe sizes built into it."
Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

found the article http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/exhaust.html looks like they like the dynomax 17749 and their testing looks good, they did it on the track.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

On the first link, that data is on this forum as well, looks like the top part of that testing was a mustang.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I don't doubt what you say, but wanted to add the dynomax muffs have been around since the 60's. Not sure who copied who.

From a pure performance view it is hard to beat the dynomax muffs. Every car mag test I have read in the last 40 years shows them having about the lowest back pressure of any muff available.

I will also add that drone can be caused by the headers. I wouldn’t blame all that on the muff.

I like Kenova’s “universal rules”, but I have to question the rule saying the longer the tail pipe, the noisier the exhaust. By tail pipe I guess he means pipe after the muff. I have always heard the opposite, that not enough pipe after the muff makes things louder. Sure hope he is right, I have 3 inches of pipe after my muffs.
I assumed since the 40's seemed more popular, and more expensive, that dynomax copied their design for the thrush welded model.

All i did was change mufflers and removed the "Y" creating true duals, the headers were the originals and never changed.

I always thought the opposite as well, longer pipe lesser noise.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't doubt what you say, but wanted to add the dynomax muffs have been around since the 60's.
I bought my first pair of Dynomax Turbo Mufflers in '72. I used them to replace a pair of Hooker Header header mufflers.

Yes, pipe after the muffler. When you use a short set of turndowns the sound will reverberate between the ground and the bottom of the car increasing the sound level inside the car.
Here is an extreme example with a variable tossed in for good measure. At one time I had a pair of header mufflers (typical glasspacks) bolted directly to the header collectors with 2 1/2" pipe from the muffler to the rear bumper ('66 Beaumont). Talk about noise. I was 18 and embarrassed to drive it. I replaced that system with a pair of Dynomax Turbos in the traditional location (under the rear seat) with a pair of turndowns. It was quieter on the outside but noisier inside because of the turndowns. I then added tailpipes to just behind the rear tires. It was much quieter inside, but slightly (only just) noisier on the outside during a drive-by.
I would think if a "X" pipe were tossed into the mix you would have a very mellow exhaust with no back pressure penalty.

Ken

Quick Reply: short exhaust.... need quieter muffler