Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls3 g35 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls3 g35 swap

Getting ready to sell my ls1 rx7 and step up to an ls3 or possible ls2 swap. Anyone do one of these swaps on here yet? Seen a few 350zs but no g35s. I know the g is heavier but only by about 300 lbs. Curb weight is 3400. Also i already own the car and it has the brembos and what not so i feel it will make for a good platform. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sikky performance? Maybe they can shed light on the topic.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just keep in mind the weight... the whole point (one of the major ones) of the LS swaps into miatas, RX7s and 240SXs is because you can achieve 350-450whp easily while in a 2400lb-2600lb-2800lb car or so (as in the 240sx case you're taking out a cast iron 4 cylinder and dropping in the aluminum v8 so weight is pretty similar). If you're in a G35 that weighs 3400lbs, taking out a lightweight all aluminum v6 and putting in a v8, i would think you'd wind up in the 3500-3600lb range. So now you're in a corvette that's 300lbs heavier than a corvette (if you only gain that much from the swap). That and the money to drop an LS3 into one (even ls2s are around ~$6500 for a full pullout - 05-06 gtos) you might as well just buy an LS3 corvette. Least then it'd be lighter, still luxurious and gets great gas mileage

This just happened at IA where a guy with an LS swapped WRX (3300-3400lb curb weight before swap) was beaten by a supercharged miata (buddy of mine... ~220whp). When you take a 3400lb car, add a few hundred pounds, even though its the almighty LS motor, you're still in Mach 1/fbody weight territory (nothing wrong with this), but its just a lot of money to end up as "slow" or slower than a stock corvette or something. You easily gain (&lose the stress on components) "70-100hp" by losing the 700-1000lbs between that g35 setup and the FD/FC/240 etc setup (no where near as nice though) if it ends up where I think it would weight wise.

Not shooting it down, to each his own, its not stupid (before the flamers pop out), but just think it through is all I am saying. You might as well just twin turbo the stock engine, still get the same if not better gas mileage than stock and have it adjustable from 400whp-600whp without having to change everything over to make the LS3 work in the car.

Last edited by RS777; 07-27-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd still do it, but w/ future upgrades in mind. Like a single or twin turbo setup... or even a maggy. ~600 RWHP from a not so stressed engine.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Teching In

maybe if you're really attached to the G35 chassis.. otherwise, that are probably more feasible options.. less fun, but more feasible.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Teching In

original engine with twin turbo or single turbo will get worse gas mileage. Also those engines are not made for forced induction. There is also the problem of reliability when turbos are added at the boost required to make high horsepower. The LS3 would be better than turbos because of reliability, easy horsepower upgrades, and it would be more unique, not the same as everyone else. I am in Thailand preparing to install an ls1 4l60e in a 1987 BMW e30. I will be the first one in the country to do this. Everyone is waiting to see the outcome. I think your project will also be unique, go for the ls3
Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Teching In

I hope 1990ls1rx7 and the Admins don't mind me posting our PM conversation regarding this build. I just felt that there would be a lot of good informtion to share with everyone. If this is in violation to any of the forum rules I apologize and ask the Admins to please delete this post.

Originally Posted by HAVOK_RLS2
Originally Posted by 1990ls1rx7
Originally Posted by HAVOK_RLS2
Originally Posted by 1990ls1rx7
hey man hows it going? great swap with the z. Im thinking of selling my ls1 rx7 and doing an ls3 swap into my g35. How difficult was the swap. Im having trouble finding info for it. Can you point me in the right direction? Also. any idea how much the swap cost in total so far. thanks.
G35 would be a nice swap. You'd be the second though because the guy at JE Performance were just starting an LS swap into a G35 right after mine was completed. That's okay though because it means they should have already worked out most of the issues by now.
Cost for the swap can vary. I'm the beginning I honestly started the swap thinking (hoping) the cost would be about 14k-16k to complete but by the time everything was said and done the total cost ended up a little over 20K. It could end up being a lot more if you start modding the engine out.
All things considered I guess I'd have done it again.
OH! No A/C yet with this swap. So if you need A/C in your ride you might really want to wait until we figure something out. I'm still working on it with the guys at JE and Sikky. I'll keep you posted in the future if you want. Just send me a friend request.
The car ill be using is my 03 g. Its in great shape im the second owner and i have had it for about 3 years. Has the brembos and everything. So it should make for a great platform. I feel it will be a huge laep over the rx7 which honestly just feels like a toy anymore. My friend and i decided were most likely gonna go ls2. With the Ls3 cost is just getting out of hand. Heres what i have so far. Please let me know if theres anything you think i would need that you dont see. I dont figure i will get started til feb time frame. Still have a lot of saving to do.Hope to have it done it time for ocmd hot rod week next may. Thanks

05 ls2/t56 ecu with 40k- 7500 shipped
sikky mount kit- 2250
guages- 295
tune to use guages- 425
fuel pump- 100
fuel rails- 150
AFPR- 135
fast 57lb injectors- 420
FAST 92 intake/tb- 1230
cam kit- 690
25% UDP- 250
clutch master stg 3 kit- 1200
1990ls1rx7,
You're not attempting this swap on a fully functional car are you? I was under the impression that you were doing this swap because you were faced with the same issues that I once was and needed/wanted another option because your motor had popped. If that is indeed the case and you motor is in full working order then I would advise against this kind of swap. I would feel remiss if I didn't say that much. Fact is that you still have options with the VQ V6 that can make just as much power and be just as fun to drive without having to settle with so many compromises. Truth is that as much as I love my car now I would have never considered it in the first place if not for blowing my first motor. Summers are sure HOT without A/C even with the windows down as I'm sure you already know just how hot LS motors run. LOL Having added up all your figures you're already thinking about spending about $14,645 just in parts. (Don't worry its going to cost more than that) That much money could go a VERY long way on the VQ block with all top of the line parts and 600rwhp+. I'm just saying please be wise and consider everything.
Well that’s all for my disclaimer/warning. Let's get down to business shall we.
Now I'm only going to assume that you've done a swap like this before because of your RX7 swap but I'm still going to write as if you know nothing of swapping into a Nissan platform so if I come off as a little condescending I truthfully apologize before hand because I honestly don't intend any disrespect.

For the most part you have a pretty clear idea of what you'll need for the basics. You have some options open to you while you're still in the "saving" stage. As you know Sikky and JE Performance performed my swap. I could have done that work myself but I wanted peace of mind knowing that if something went wrong I could take it back to them to have any issues resolved. I don't know if Sikky has completed a mail order swap kit for either cars (350z and G35) yet. Pretty much all the swap parts except for the oil pan and motor mounts had to be custom cut and finished at JE Performance. You'll need to contact Sikky directly to check the availability of their completed kits and don't be surprised if it's more than $2250 with headers (it will be). Another options would be Hinson Super Cars (HSC). HSC also has all the parts required for this swap and they were the first to do it. In the past there were issues with leaking oil pans but it seems that they have addresses this issue with an all new custom fabricated old pan with filter on the pan instead of having to use a remote oil filter system (VERY NICE). HSC mounts sets the engine farther back in the firewall which can benefit the balance of the car but getting to that rear pass side spark plug will probably be that much more of a pain in the a$$ then it is with the Sikky kit. The Sikky kit make the car a little more nose heavy and this is a bit of a clearance issue at the front radiator and fans. Fans shroud had to be custom cut to make room for the LS water pump pulley. I measured it as a little over 3/4" clearance between the tip or the water pump pulley and the radiator core. So yeah the Sikky kit sits much farther forward then the HSC kit.
The Sikky kit also have solid motor mounts versus the HSC which use a combination of their mounting brackets and Nissan rubber mounts. Who's to say which one is better really? I like the solid personally.

List of other parts you'll need for this swap that no one tells you about and that you better get.
Upgraded Clutch Master and Slave cylinder = $400+ (Because the stock Master WILL NOT WORK with the T-56 trans and the Slaves will fail when you upgrade the clutch)
Clutch Master cylinder adapter = $100
Fuel return system = $600+ (you could get away with not using one if you're wanna be cheap but it'll really benefit maintaining a constant and more accurate fuel pressure when you get into tunning)
Headers = $900+ - $1500 (Sikky and HSC kits do not come with headers and both are kit specific)
Exhaust System = $$$??? (More money but 3" minimum)
I only noticed you only allocated fund to tuning the G35 ECM but you'll also need to have the GM PCM tuned as well unless you already own tuning software like HPTuner.
HPTuner $500+ with 8 GM credits.

Areas of interest that you should really consider as part of the build are Suspension and Brakes. Having added an additional 100lbs of extra weight on the front end and a full 8inches or so beyond where the front of the VQ motor use to set I had issues with the front end diving deep under hard breaking. The stock suspension and some aftermarket system were not designed to handle the extra loads. I had to contact Swift Spring and ordered a set of custom springs to handle the extra weight and had them mounted to my Buddy Club racing spec coilovers. No more nose dives. I prefer the Buddy Club over the other coilover systems on the market for a number of reasons. One being that they are race proven parts, two they are a true coilover system with spring on the dampener, three unlike Stance and BC they are steal construction while other are aluminum dampener bodies, and forth fully rebuildable.
The stock brakes are trash and should have been upgraded before the car left the showroom floor unless you drive like my grandma in which case they'll suit you just fine. LOL The stock brembos aren't much better IMHO. Trying to stop at any real speeds will just cause you to warp rotors and burn out pads and won't stop you any quicker.

Now back to Sikky vs Hinson. I chose Sikky/JE Performance I know the reputation and the work that comes out of that shop. Customer Service, Customer Service, Customer Service, Customer Service Customer, Service Customer Service, Customer Service, Customer Service, Customer Service, and attention to details is the name of JE performance and Sikky's game. Hinson acted as if they didn't even want to bother with me unless I was willing to ship my car to them with a blank check. Hinson (Brian) was also very reluctant to answer any of my questions always telling my "someone will have to give you a call back" or "we'll send you an e-mail" which most of the time I received neither. James, Chris, and Seth at JE Performance spent hours on the phone with me every step of the way even when there were delay (very few) in my build. And when everything was said and done they exceeded my expectations 10 fold.
James Evans (Owner of JE Performance) also races and drifts this very same platform and swap so he knows firsthand what works and what doesn't. It didn't hurt that they were right down the street either. LOL

So by the time everything is said and done you'll still be closer to 20K then you might like even if you do the work yourself. Anyway you slice it it's a big dollar build. Just consider everything first and you'll be find. When in doubt you can always ask me in a PM or call the guys at JE and ask for James, Chris, or Seth. Tell them that Robert sent you.

http://www.jeimportperformance.com/
http://www.sikky.com/
http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/
http://www.swiftsprings.com/
Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RS777
Just keep in mind the weight... the whole point (one of the major ones) of the LS swaps into miatas, RX7s and 240SXs is because you can achieve 350-450whp easily while in a 2400lb-2600lb-2800lb car or so (as in the 240sx case you're taking out a cast iron 4 cylinder and dropping in the aluminum v8 so weight is pretty similar). If you're in a G35 that weighs 3400lbs, taking out a lightweight all aluminum v6 and putting in a v8, i would think you'd wind up in the 3500-3600lb range. So now you're in a corvette that's 300lbs heavier than a corvette (if you only gain that much from the swap). That and the money to drop an LS3 into one (even ls2s are around ~$6500 for a full pullout - 05-06 gtos) you might as well just buy an LS3 corvette. Least then it'd be lighter, still luxurious and gets great gas mileage

This just happened at IA where a guy with an LS swapped WRX (3300-3400lb curb weight before swap) was beaten by a supercharged miata (buddy of mine... ~220whp). When you take a 3400lb car, add a few hundred pounds, even though its the almighty LS motor, you're still in Mach 1/fbody weight territory (nothing wrong with this), but its just a lot of money to end up as "slow" or slower than a stock corvette or something. You easily gain (&lose the stress on components) "70-100hp" by losing the 700-1000lbs between that g35 setup and the FD/FC/240 etc setup (no where near as nice though) if it ends up where I think it would weight wise.

Not shooting it down, to each his own, its not stupid (before the flamers pop out), but just think it through is all I am saying. You might as well just twin turbo the stock engine, still get the same if not better gas mileage than stock and have it adjustable from 400whp-600whp without having to change everything over to make the LS3 work in the car.
Everything about this post is absolutely correct. The question is how much do you love your car? Truth is if your expecting any kind of return on your investment other than sheer enjoyment you are sadly mistaken. You might as well take all the cash money you would have spent on this kind of swap, run it through a paper shredder and then take that into your backyard and burn it. When I purchased my Z in 05 I paid cash outright. It's my 2nd Z as I use to own a 600rwhp 93 300ZXTT. This one I'm keeping.
The first person to do this kind of swap had over 100K invested and ended up trying to selling it for around 30k before it was stolen and his was a full blow world class show car.
The 15-20k you're thinking about investing could buy you a 4.2L stroked stort block with CNC ported Cosworth heads and you may still have enough left for a turbo or super charger. Plus you'll still have A/C and better gas mileage than me. I'm currently getting about 210miles to a tank on the 15 gallon tank. You do the math.

Quick Reply: Ls3 g35 swap