Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any other Manuals aside from a T56?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any other Manuals aside from a T56?

Basically I look at LSx swaps and the two transmission I see are the T56 and the the 4l60E. No surprise there since those are the transmissions that generally come with the motors. Problem is if you want a manual the T56 isn't exactly cheap if your on a tight budget. So that basically leaves you with an auto if you want to do a swap on the cheap, so whats a guy to do?

Basically are there any cheaper alternatives to a T56 or do they all end up being more in the long run?

Two that come to mind just off the top of my head are a T5 out of a mustang or whatever manual trans comes in the pickups. I know T5s can be had for cheap, but I dont know what it would take to get it to work with the LSx. I have no idea about the truck trans, thats was just a thought. I dont even know what they cost.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of people make bellhousings that will bolt first gen transmissions to an LS motor. Kiesler is one such company. If you can find one an old big block bell will work the same. Try a search.

I went with a TKO 600.

Careful with a T5. They won't hold up to the torque of an LS motor
Old 07-27-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Careful with the truck manuals too. Those only came behind a very few 4.8/5.3's and if you do find one, they're only slightly stronger than a T5 but have terrible gearing
Old 07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Lots of people make bellhousings that will bolt first gen transmissions to an LS motor. Kiesler is one such company. If you can find one an old big block bell will work the same. Try a search.

I went with a TKO 600.

Careful with a T5. They won't hold up to the torque of an LS motor
Hmm, I thought Ive seen guys running fast mustangs with T5, maybe not.

Originally Posted by Pocket
Careful with the truck manuals too. Those only came behind a very few 4.8/5.3's and if you do find one, they're only slightly stronger than a T5 but have terrible gearing
Again like I said it was just an idea, I know nothing about the truck manuals.

I kinda though about it and really if there was a cheaper way to do a stick aside from the t56 I would assume at least some people on this site and others would be doing it and I dont see that.

Still though I would assume that in a light car and with a fairly stock motor it should be OK.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It can get expensive to swap to an older trans with an LS - Custom flywheel and bellhousing come to mind.

I had a Super T-10 I was planning to use, but after pricing out everyithing, I was within a couple hundred bucks of a nice used T56 setup with clutch and everything.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T-5's have a bad rep... I had one behind a "built" ~350ft/lbs torque motor and never had an issue. It was the world class T-5 from a 3rd gen camaro.

Though yes, I would say, just go w/ t-56 from the start. Or just go auto and save until you can buy a t-56. I couldn't see the cost of getting a t5 to work being worth it.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Launching!

t56, if you shop around there are deals to be had. Anything else will kill your budget with the nickel and dime stuff OR be a huge compromise in function/performance
Old 07-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jim_PA
It can get expensive to swap to an older trans with an LS - Custom flywheel and bellhousing come to mind.

I had a Super T-10 I was planning to use, but after pricing out everyithing, I was within a couple hundred bucks of a nice used T56 setup with clutch and everything.
I was told once that basically all the GM transmissions used the same bolt pattern and could basically bolt to any V8. Did that change with the LS1 or did I get bad info? I'm leaning towards bad info.

I really wouldn't consider an older trans anyway, having OD would be nice
Originally Posted by Klimaxx
t56, if you shop around there are deals to be had. Anything else will kill your budget with the nickel and dime stuff OR be a huge compromise in function/performance
Yeah I had a feeling that may be the case.

I'm think it may just be less hassle to go auto, although its not much fun.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Dont compromise on trans type. You will regret it, I know I did
Old 07-27-2010, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by loki993
I was told once that basically all the GM transmissions used the same bolt pattern and could basically bolt to any V8. Did that change with the LS1 or did I get bad info? I'm leaning towards bad info.
The bolt pattern is close enough (5 of the 6 holes line up), but the problem lies in the depth of the crank face in relation to the bellhousing flange on the block.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Pretty much any GM trans can bolt up to an LS. GM T5s are generally rated at fairly low torque. World class are rated for 300+ ft/lbs. More common is the Ford T5 world class trans. Search here for adapter bell housings and pilot bearings fot the Ford.
As for GM, any standard GM trans, a 621 BBC bel housing, LS1 flywheel/clutch?pressure plate, LS7 pilot bushing will bolt to an LS. I'm running a Richmond 6 speed behind mine.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run a TKO600, but I can swap it for any gm manual.
In my 67 camaro I am running :
1 - old scattersheild that I had on my 454
2 - a mcloed lsx swap +.200" aluminum flywheel(didnt really need it in the end, I should have just used a ls1 flywheel)
3 - a new LS7 pilot bearing
4 - factory 67 camaro mechanical clutch linkage( I had to fab a pivot ball mount -I just welded a tab onto the steel scattersheild.
5 - clutch of your choice - I am running a RAM singl iron drag clutch, but any good diaphram clutch will work as the LS1 flywheel is drilled for the same bolt pattern as an oldschool 11" clutch
Barrett
edit - mechanical clutch linkage may interfere with your headers - I had to mod #5 tube on my Edelbrock's
Old 07-28-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What about the 4 speeds that came in earlier cars?

Either way if you want manual I would just go t56, if you can't afford it now go auto and wait. It will be cheaper to go auto and then t56, than manual with an older tranny then going t56. I went ahead and bough the t56 with the motor since it was a killer deal.

Quick Reply: Any other Manuals aside from a T56?