Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any other way to hook up for tach signal?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any other way to hook up for tach signal?

So for some odd reason my tach wont work with it hooked up the the "tach output" wire on my conversion harness and i was wondering if there was any way to hook into a coil wire or some other way besides the tach output wire to get a signal?

Trying to trouble shoot this so any help here on ways to hook it up differently or on anyways to trouble shoot why the tach output wire isnt getting any signal would be very helpful!

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it work at all? I know you can buy tach signal converter boxes, but they generally help you calibrate the tach to the correct reading. For instance, if it was reading 2,000 rpm... or 200 rpm at idle... that's something the tach converter box would help you with. If your tach is completely dead, there might be some other problem.

An alternative to the tach convert box is having someone program your PCM to send a tach signal that is correct for your vehicle's tach.

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
So for some odd reason my tach wont work with it hooked up the the "tach output" wire on my conversion harness and i was wondering if there was any way to hook into a coil wire or some other way besides the tach output wire to get a signal?

Trying to trouble shoot this so any help here on ways to hook it up differently or on anyways to trouble shoot why the tach output wire isnt getting any signal would be very helpful!

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not reading at all, The needle doesn't move one bit...

Thats why i was trying to find an alternative way to hook it up to try to troubleshoot this
Old 08-09-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MSD makes a tach tranducer that hooks to any ole ignition wire. I have read several posts where people say this fixed their issues.

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD+Ignition/121/8918/10002/-1

in your case can you borrow a known good tach, even a tach/dwell meter for tuning a car, and see if the output is good? You might also try hooking your tach to another car via a jumper wire.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted in your other thread that mine needed a pull up resistor to get it to move. Slowhawk performance also did something with EFI Live so it would read correctly. Do a search on pull up resistor and you should find a diagram/picture and instructions

HERE IS A PULL UP RESISTOR

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any other way to hook up for tach signal?