Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 Camaro RS LY6/4L65e build

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default 70 Camaro RS LY6/4L65e build

Let me start off by saying TY to all the people who has helped me with questions.

I bought my basket case 70 Camaro a few years ago with plans on installing a BBC to replace the 71 Camaro 402/PG I had as a teen. After purchasing the big block, I stumbled upon this site. After toying with the idea of a cruiser(LSx) vs strickly weekend car (BBC), I changed my mind on what route I would take. The wifey wasn't too happy. $1400.00 454 just sitting. LOL.

I purchased a 08 LY6 w/30K from www.car-parts.com and started collecting parts. I have been slowly working on the engine cleaning and painting. I almost have the engine all together now. I am still waiting on a 14x1mm plug tap for my oil pressure relief valve. After seeing alot of people having problems there swap plates I decided to see if I would get lucky.

For once...... I got lucky. Hopefully I will have the engine in after I detail the engine compartment. I will try to DL the pics showing pan clearence.

Last edited by Jimbo1367; 08-11-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: pics
Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I try DL pics. I get this bulliton.

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

How do I fix this?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you need to upload the pics to photo bucket, then post the URL's here. they will show up as if you posted them here directly. did that make sense?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3pedals
I think you need to upload the pics to photo bucket, then post the URL's here. they will show up as if you posted them here directly. did that make sense?
How do I do that?
Originally Posted by 3pedals
did that make sense?
kinda. but. how?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

This should help
http://www.tetra-fish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12535
Old 08-11-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default link

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
that was ALOT of help. TYVM !!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
that was ALOT of help. TYVM !!
No problem Jimbo! Glad I could help. That engine is looking really clean! I like the fully painted look - it makes everything uniform and sharp. And the LS3/L76 intake you've got on there really cleans things up.

So spill the beans already - what are the specs? Did you end up doing a cam swap (or plan on one)? What mount adapters, pan, etc did you use? What did you have to do for the oil relief valve? What are your plans for fuel system, headers, accessories etc? How do you plan on tuning?

There are only a handful of LY6/L92/L99/L76/vvt builds on here, so be sure to post as much info as you can. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too like the fully painted engine. Keep the pics coming.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

No problem Jimbo! Glad I could help. That engine is looking really clean! I like the fully painted look - it makes everything uniform and sharp. And the LS3/L76 intake you've got on there really cleans things up.TY. That was what I was going for. I was affraid the discolored aluminum would clash the new aluminum too much

So spill the beans already - what are the specs? Did you end up doing a cam swap (or plan on one)?Its stock for now. Maybe a year after I get it on the road I'll either have Partric G. spec a VVT cam of just go MAST LY6/L76 VVT cam. I am concidering www.neweraperformanceparts.com to swap the cam and tune *IF* I ever get that far. Uncertian as of now. What mount adapters, pan, etc did you use?BBC frame stands, $35.00 E-Bay 1" setback swap mounts. Same ones 76Camaroguy has. The pan is a new F-body kit from www.partstaxi.com. They were the cheapest when I sourced it out a while back. What did you have to do for the oil relief valve? nuthing just yet. I still need toget the cash to get the 14x1.5mm plug tap. Stilll trying to get caught up bills from I was out having a few surgeriesWhat are your plans for fuel system, headers, accessories etc? I have a Spectra EFI conversion tank & standard C5 fuel filter/regulator with Summit twist-tite fittings and EFI hose. I will also use 3/8 hard line for a cleaner look. HEADERS will be Edelbrocks. Accessary drive is a C6 How do you plan on tuning? I plan on having John @ www.speartech.com reflash my stock ECM and build me a harness with a TCM and supply the gas pedal and poss oygen sensors. I will probably just use the stock MAF sensor for now.

There are only a handful of LY6/L92/L99/L76/vvt builds on here, so be sure to post as much info as you can. Keep up the good work!
thanks again. I will. Just slow going. Hopefully I will have it running next spring. But I remember saying that last winter too LOL. Gotta love having a family. lol.

Last edited by Jimbo1367; 08-22-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a plan! Family always comes first and I know how these projects can drag on when there are so many other more important demands from life. Just getting as far as you have is a challenge and I think you've done a nice job. From the pictures it looks like you could eat off that engine.

Is that one of the Harbor Freight engine levelers? How did you like using it?

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 08-11-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good job..clean motor.. i like the spacers for using car water pump..
Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

What kind of paint did you use to paint the engine block and valve covers?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chevellepowered
good job..clean motor.. i like the spacers for using car water pump..
ty. I was hoping the MAST spacers would follow the contour of the WP more. Also..... I had to double gasket one side of the spacers as the VVT flange ( on the timing cover) was hitting the the back side of the WP. It looks like the belt ***SHOULD*** still line up OK. But I won't know until I assemble the FEAD.

Originally Posted by Kansas_Nova

I started out with Duplicolor or what ever most auto stores sell. I forget. I didn't like the color compared to a new cast aluminum pan so I went over it with RUSTOLEUM "castcoat. I will have to double check tomarrow. The RUSTOLEUM has metalflake in it. It seems to simulate the texture or contours of a aluminum part/block. It looks more natural in person vs the pics.

Last edited by Jimbo1367; 08-15-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Teching In

I am at about the same stage in almost the same build, stock LY6 with LS3 intake in a 73 RS but with a T-56. I have the motor and trans mounted but will be coming back out to detail everything. I am using corvette access as well. Currently reworking a stock harness.

Yours is looking good. I like your engine color choice.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good Jim! Glad to see you got a build thread going now too.

It looks like you're using the same motor mount adapter plates that originally I started with. Every swap I've seen with these plates tells me that they'll work just fine with the BBC frame stand style mounts, so I'm sure thats why they worked out for you. Glad to see that. I guess they just don't work with the clam shell mounts since the clamshells sit a little higher....lesson learned for me.

Good luck and I'll be following along.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like a plan! Family always comes first and I know how these projects can drag on when there are so many other more important demands from life. Just getting as far as you have is a challenge and I think you've done a nice job. From the pictures it looks like you could eat off that engine.

Is that one of the Harbor Freight engine levelers? How did you like using it?
Yeah. the engine is kinda clean. Has to be.... to paint it. LOL YEs the engine leveler is a Harbor Freight cheapy. Works GREAT. Its the smaller of the two that they offer.
Originally Posted by Kansas_Nova
I checked the actual paint brand and color. I orginally used Dupli-color engine primer and " CastCoat Aluminum" This seems to be the brand most people use. The pics that others post using this brand and color look great. But in person, mine looked too greyish. Not natural looking at all. So I went to a different parts store (AutoZone) and the offered Rust-oleum brand. Oddly enough, the color is called "CastCoat Aluminum" too. But like I mentioned in a earier post, the RustOleum has (fine) metal flake which simulate the texture of a cast part. But the pics don't show this. Its just my preference.

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Looking good Jim! Glad to see you got a build thread going now too.

It looks like you're using the same motor mount adapter plates that originally I started with. Every swap I've seen with these plates tells me that they'll work just fine with the BBC frame stand style mounts, so I'm sure thats why they worked out for you. Glad to see that. I guess they just don't work with the clam shell mounts since the clamshells sit a little higher....lesson learned for me.

Good luck and I'll be following along.
Thanks. I will be happy if I ever get my undercarriage done. I just don't seem to have the time when I have the energy/desire. And vise versa. I look forward to see if you update your build.

Last edited by Jimbo1367; 08-12-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

No updates. Just a question. What is this, its in front of the gas tank ? Something to do with emissions back in 1970?

The trany I forgot to load. Any way to see if its actually a 4L65e like I was told and not the typical 4L60e?

thanks,
Jim
Old 08-12-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
No updates. Just a question. What is this, its in front of the gas tank ? Something to do with emissions back in 1970?
Jim,

It's called a fuel separator. Your car must be a California car, eh? Here's a link with some good info. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...rcoal+canister

I'm not sure on the trans question. Never dealt with any of the overdrive autos too much.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

GC99TA,
Thanks.

Quick Reply: 70 Camaro RS LY6/4L65e build