Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?s on AN fittings

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default ?s on AN fittings

I am new to the use of AN fittings and have a few questions. What do you lube the threads with? ( AN to AN ) I have chosen Summit Racings "twist-tite" push on hose & fittings for my swap. I would assume I am suspose to lube the hose before pushing the barb in. What is a good lube?

Anyone have a thread for AN do's & don'ts?

thanks,
JIm
Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the manufactors have there suggested or own lube. must of them have tech information on there web sites.. If Summit Tech link can't answer, I would jump over to Russell, Earl or Aeroquip and check to see what they suggest.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Formerly 99-2door-08/30/2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are talking about putting the hose ends on, just use gear oil. I use 75w90 or 75w140 whichever I have a open bottle of at the time. You don't need a lot, just a dab'll do ya.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Teching In

And if they are the push lock hose I assembled mine in the kitchen. Wife loves that of course. But boil a pot of water and soak the hose in it, then quickly pull it out with some mitts and push on the fitting. I just use whatever oil I have laying around, most of the time its air tool oil cause my bottle is sitting there on top the tool box.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I think the ? is about the threads on the fittings...The answer is no lube required.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
I think the ? is about the threads on the fittings...The answer is no lube required.
x2

Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://paceperformance.com/ProductIm...es/an_tech.pdf

http://www.fragolaperformancesystems...gassembly.html

I personally havent had much luck with a hack saw and usually end up using a angle grinder or dremel with a cut off disc. Probly not the best way to go, but it sure is a clean cut.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cutlass_455
http://paceperformance.com/ProductIm...es/an_tech.pdf

http://www.fragolaperformancesystems...gassembly.html

I personally havent had much luck with a hack saw and usually end up using a angle grinder or dremel with a cut off disc. Probly not the best way to go, but it sure is a clean cut.
A sharp chisel and a big hammer works pretty good too.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Need_a_Camaro
A sharp chisel and a big hammer works pretty good too.
Sharp chisel?? Good idea, how big of line can you do with this?? Do you try to cut the whole line with one good smack of the BFH??
Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Here is a bit of reading for you as background info:
http://weislake.com/sig/mucker/an-vs-jic.pdf
Old 08-12-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OP was asking about "Twist Tite" from Summit which is a push-on hose and is not braided stainless. Lubrication with oil on the barbed portion is commonly recommended as is the need to heat the hose prior to assembly (makes it far easier to install).

Immerse the end on the hose in boiling water or use a heat gun prior to install. I use a heat gun. What I found best was to make sure that once you start pushing the hose onto the fitting, try to do it all in one motion (keep the hose moving until seated; once it stops it's hard to get it moving again if you didn't get it fully seated). Use gloves and get yourself positioned to push with a lot of force (I clamp the fitting so that I can push horizontally).

Andy1
Old 08-12-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Eaton-AeroQuip makes a nice simple tool that helps install the Push-Lok hose onto the Push-Lok fittings. Lube should not be used, with any brand of push-lock hose & fittings. They should be put together dry. Just elbow grease, lol.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Here is a bit of reading for you as background info:
http://weislake.com/sig/mucker/an-vs-jic.pdf
I should just PM 'Bandit. He's been helping me alot lately. Thank you Sir. Very good read.

Originally Posted by Andy1
The OP was asking about "Twist Tite" from Summit which is a push-on hose and is not braided stainless. Lubrication with oil on the barbed portion is commonly recommended as is the need to heat the hose prior to assembly (makes it far easier to install).

Immerse the end on the hose in boiling water or use a heat gun prior to install. I use a heat gun. What I found best was to make sure that once you start pushing the hose onto the fitting, try to do it all in one motion (keep the hose moving until seated; once it stops it's hard to get it moving again if you didn't get it fully seated). Use gloves and get yourself positioned to push with a lot of force (I clamp the fitting so that I can push horizontally).

Andy1
Andy,
Yes..... You answered what I wanted to know. TYVM
Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
TYVm
Originally Posted by STEEPSS
x2

TY too
Old 08-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Banned

BEWARE

i used twist tite -10 on an oil cooler line with a moroso pan and twice have blown the lines off and poured about 8 quarts on the street. almost lost the motor. Since i have put clamps on all fittings to hopefully keep them on. I will most likely be replacing the lines in the near future. my oil pressure is about 80 psi at wot and 70 at idle
Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
BEWARE

i used twist tite -10 on an oil cooler line with a moroso pan and twice have blown the lines off and poured about 8 quarts on the street. almost lost the motor. Since i have put clamps on all fittings to hopefully keep them on. I will most likely be replacing the lines in the near future. my oil pressure is about 80 psi at wot and 70 at idle
thanks for the heads up. I am mearly using it for fuel.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Andy1

Andy1

Thanks Andy. A heat gun worked like a charm. I know its an old thread. Just keeping info out there easy to find.

Kyle
Old 05-03-2013, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cutlass_455
Sharp chisel?? Good idea, how big of line can you do with this?? Do you try to cut the whole line with one good smack of the BFH??
I've cut up to -16 braided stainless with the larger size chisel from Lowe's. I used to cut hose with a cut off wheel, would take me 2-3 tries to get the socket over even with tape and cutting jaws. Now I don't even tape the hose. One good hot with the chisel cuts it sharp enough to go right in the socket.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Son of a gun... Gotta give a bit of a to whoever "brought this thread back from the dead", I learned a couple things...!

Quick Reply: ?s on AN fittings