Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF or no MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF or no MAF?

Ok I've been looking at some of the build pictures and I don't see the MAF on a lot of the builds. Does this mean that there is a way to run these engines without one or are people hiding them?

I am running a turbo on mine and may consider going SD later on after I get better with tuning. I'm about to plumb my intercooler so I wanted know if the MAF is required?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

Speed Density is the only way to not run the MAF
Old 08-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Teching In

I am not running a Maf sensor on my setup. I purchased a after market tuner (EFILive) to disable a few other Items I.E anti theft, emissions, etc. At the same time I did a Cam swap so tuning was required. I found it was easier for me with the rougher cam to go a straight sd tune and upgrade to a custom operating system as I had a little bit of trouble tuning the maf sensor to behave at low rpms. After a few ve logging sessions the ve tables were really dialed in well and I have been really pleased with the drivability and results. Just my 2 cents though, to each his own.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hobbszombie
I am not running a Maf sensor on my setup. I purchased a after market tuner (EFILive) to disable a few other Items I.E anti theft, emissions, etc. At the same time I did a Cam swap so tuning was required. I found it was easier for me with the rougher cam to go a straight sd tune and upgrade to a custom operating system as I had a little bit of trouble tuning the maf sensor to behave at low rpms. After a few ve logging sessions the ve tables were really dialed in well and I have been really pleased with the drivability and results. Just my 2 cents though, to each his own.
I'm using HPT and I'm just getting started. Do you think it would be easier to start out using the MAF and then transition to SD or go SD from the start?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Teching In

I'm not to saavy on tuning the maf w/turbos. There is a drawback with a set pcm air acceleration limit . The best bet would be to bounce it off some of the turbo guys here and see what they are running or recommend. See this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-air-flow.html . In my case I wired the engine up in the car as it was from the factory w/maf and stock cam with minimal tune mods-just enough to run it no driving yet and see what PO codes I received and after I knew there were no gremlins w/ the install I started modifying and switched to sd. As it is always nice to rule out the human error before you throw in more variables. Best of luck.

Last edited by Hobbszombie; 08-16-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: clarification of tune