Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion guys, did you buy a wreck to pull from or piece it together?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion guys, did you buy a wreck to pull from or piece it together?

Looking at all the classified sites/car sites/ebay/craigslist etc... it seems like prices for LS1 stuff is absolutely insane. Not the aftermarket so much, just the stuff like wiring harnesses, all the accessory brackets etc...

If I do start a LSx conversion, I'd likely be going with a bare 4.00 finished bore LS2 block since it'll cost about the same to have a used LS1 block cleaned/checked/machined as to just buy the new block.

I'm trying to decide whether I should be looking for a wrecked F body or just piece together what I need myself over time since this will be a long term build and the 302 in my Mustang is still new and pulling strong (knocks on wood). Figure besides the motor/T-56 I'd need basically just the wiring harness, accessory brackets/accessories, computer and coils?

What do most guys do?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smaruska
Looking at all the classified sites/car sites/ebay/craigslist etc... it seems like prices for LS1 stuff is absolutely insane. Not the aftermarket so much, just the stuff like wiring harnesses, all the accessory brackets etc...

If I do start a LSx conversion, I'd likely be going with a bare 4.00 finished bore LS2 block since it'll cost about the same to have a used LS1 block cleaned/checked/machined as to just buy the new block.

I'm trying to decide whether I should be looking for a wrecked F body or just piece together what I need myself over time since this will be a long term build and the 302 in my Mustang is still new and pulling strong (knocks on wood). Figure besides the motor/T-56 I'd need basically just the wiring harness, accessory brackets/accessories, computer and coils?

What do most guys do?

Thanks!
Junk yards my friend! car-parts.com is good to find some acc from, not too cheap tho. The harness is going to be expensive regardless. My be cheaper to keep an eye out for a complete pull out from a goat. Or a totaled goat. Thats the route i would have went if i had room for a parts car, or the budget. I got a relatively cheap, low milage 5.3 and used the truck acc, Ls1 mani, ls1 throttlebody, ls1maf, camaro clutch master, and camaro pedals, aftermarket everything else.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 1st conversion, i just brough a complete engine, trans, accessories and wiring.. then had to source everything else.
For my current conversion, I picked up wrecked 02 Z28 and parted it out keeping everything I needed. I recover my money and made money for the conversion.. if you got the time and space to do so. it can be to your advantage and you will be sure you have everything you needed from the partout !
Old 08-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Launching!

I bought a complete engine from a guy turning his car to a racecar. No harness but i got the engine trans and all the accessories, got to drive around in the car before it was pulled, it worked out really well. starting with a 5.3 would get expensive.. (intake, acc drive, oil pan..ect)
Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
My 1st conversion, i just brough a complete engine, trans, accessories and wiring.. then had to source everything else.
For my current conversion, I picked up wrecked 02 Z28 and parted it out keeping everything I needed. I recover my money and made money for the conversion.. if you got the time and space to do so. it can be to your advantage and you will be sure you have everything you needed from the partout !
Probably the route I should go when/if I do this. Like I said the 302 I have is running really strong right now and makes about 354 flywheel hp (301whp) so it isn't like its slow. Just planning for my next buildup because the 302 was a super budget interim engine until I got a raise, bigger place etc...

Even the wrecks I see are like $3k+ and from what I'm seeing most of the money to be made is in the motor/trans/wiring although I guess the rear/tires/suspension/interior/doors/bumpers etc... could all make enough back to cover even $3k...
Old 08-23-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

sound like a plan.. good luck..

BTW, i must have pocket $2500+ (over my cost to buy of the wreck) from the parts, and still have the engine, trans, wiring, accossories and brakes, etc.. and that was five and dime' most of the parts. could have gotten more from the major parts.. .but I was just happy with what I got.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default swap

I bought a crate motor and a built 4l80e. Hindsight, I would have bought a pullout. It would have been soooo much cheaper than piecing one together. Next time wrecking yard for sure.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
sound like a plan.. good luck..

BTW, i must have pocket $2500+ (over my cost to buy of the wreck) from the parts, and still have the engine, trans, wiring, accossories and brakes, etc.. and that was five and dime' most of the parts. could have gotten more from the major parts.. .but I was just happy with what I got.
Wow what is all so expensive out of these cars? I would be keeping the trans, ecu, wiring harness, motor (until I got all the accessories/sensors etc... off it).

Is there a part out list somewhere or do you just tear the whole thing apart and list it all up? I guess the cluster, hvac, dash, interior pieces, seats, body parts etc... would fetch a good price?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I did my swap for just under $2000, but it took me 9 months to piece it together. Everything was used stock parts or DIY

Buying a wreck to start with is always a great idea assuming you can find the damned things. Most Ive seen wanted as much/more than a good running LS1 car was worth
Old 08-26-2010, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

I got mine from a yard $1k for 71k LQ4 with all the acc
Old 08-26-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by smaruska
Wow what is all so expensive out of these cars? I would be keeping the trans, ecu, wiring harness, motor (until I got all the accessories/sensors etc... off it).

Is there a part out list somewhere or do you just tear the whole thing apart and list it all up? I guess the cluster, hvac, dash, interior pieces, seats, body parts etc... would fetch a good price?
I stripped everthing out and listed on the forsale area here, Craigslist and a few other local forums.. Being in a large metro area (San Francisco)... there are a lot of people breaking things ! LOL

I had a list of everything I sold.. but I lost it when I upgraded my laptop.. but I sold everything from the T-Tops($150), doors ($75) each, rear hatch/Glass ($100), seats ($100), interior panels, even Nuts and bolts, exhasust system ($75), the hangers, A-Arms($50 each), Springs, shocks, Rear End ($500). well you get the idea.. even selling for $5 for small parts.. it added up.

Quick Reply: Conversion guys, did you buy a wreck to pull from or piece it together?