Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 and 200-4r to L92 / T56 in 71 Chevelle convertible...now Gen V LT1 6L80e swapping

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Not much has happened lately, but I did get a little bit accomplished this morning. The plan for the day was to go out and finally get the rockers torqued down and throw the water and p/s pumps back on, but I somehow lost the socket reducers I just bought for torque wrench I borrowed from autozone and most of that went out the window. With the way the garage is right now I couldn't even move the hoist to lift the motor off its crate so I was pretty much just dicking around and doing inventory-type nonsense.
I did however get the kwik bracket test fit, and though my phone's camera blows *** the piece itself is pretty slick. What you might or might not know when you buy one of these is that you need the belt tensioner from a z28 or similar; you replace the pulley on it with a smooth one they provide and relocate the ribbed one to a decent sized bolt, like so.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21527394@N06/5381911605/
Then a couple bolts go into the water pump while the longest bolt threads into the head and in so doing also secures the tensioner.

I didn't put the compressor on since the only one I have is a double-V (anybody need one?) and I didn't feel like screwing with it. Picking up a serpentine one this week.

In case anyone else has ever wondered what the laminated wiring diagrams on ebay look like here is the one I bought for my chevelle, it's not a great shot but you get the idea. The back has power window, lock and seat info on it.

Once the car is back and running I'm going to pick up where I left off getting the HIDs put in. I'm going to use a bi-xenon projector kit and skip over that "HID kit" bulb-in-a-regular-housing stuff. I just need to buy some 7 inch housings I can modify to hold them which should not be hard.
Not much of an update, but the kwik bracket was something someone had asked me about so I thought I'd whip it out.

Last edited by chuckd71; 01-27-2011 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought yall might want to see a little bit of an update, I've picked up the project to finish the motor install for Stuart, I sent him some pictures I think he will update but i'll throw in a picture. Good job on motor mount and oil pan choice, it has about a finger tip worth of pan to crossmember clearance, and I was able to drop it right in, fits nicely, and the power steering pulley barely clears the steering box, just a little over enough room to slide the belt on the pulley. More updates tomorrow. I also re-shot the firewall and core support in trim black just to tidy it up a little.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is one of the oil pan. I'm stuck at "work" so this is all I can contribute so far.
As you can see from the pic in z28's post I had managed to amass a pretty sweet collection or random hoses and wires in my engine bay.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wish I would have reshot my bay before I put the motor in
Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail
I really wish I would have reshot my bay before I put the motor in
AMEN hahahah.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

The entire gaping engine bay was basically a sheet of grease and oil at one point until I wire-wheeled and sprayed a decent bit of it with crappy black paint. Should have por-15ed it first but I didn't want it getting in any holes it shouldn't.
Anyway, just to give credit where it is due I want to point out that anything done to the car from post #62 onward engine, trans and otherwise will most likely be done by z28 and co..

Last edited by chuckd71; 02-02-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

very nice would you mind if i ask a few questions? im doing my first build and could use some help but cant get anyone to answer my post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevy1120 post the link to your questions and I"ll see if I can help

I can't wait to see what this car is like when its done! now that mine is basically done I know exactly how much work goes into this process and it is not for the faint of heart I can tell you that!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post14396635

thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

in for that hid conversion; had the same thought for my ferd
Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is a work in progress that I've recently started over. Someone on another site has taken this approach- http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums....php?p=1101726

Rather than cut the back I'm now looking at spacing out the front lens of the light since otherwise my battery is in the way.

Last edited by chuckd71; 02-02-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

So did the car get sold? What am I missin here hah
Old 02-03-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, I just don't have the time or the tools to keep messing with it right now. I spent the last 8 months reading, prepping and buying parts but all things considered from a cost/ benefit perspective it became more worthwhile for me to pay someone with more experience and skill to finish it off from here. Were I to continue to work on it myself a couple hours a week I'd probably never finish it. They have done more in a day than I have in months.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

are you talking about frankies in gettysburg pa by any chance?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes .
Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Teching In

What kind of headlight projector are you using, aftermarket or factory? Nice build BTW !!!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Love the black and white scheme.

Name this project.."Tuxedo".

Nice work.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

yeah i had to junk my car there i blew the motor like 400 miles from home and didnt have money to get it home or store it some where they ripped me off
Old 02-04-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

sik they are aftermarket, the base is made to fit where an H3 or 4 (whichever is bigger, I forget right now) bulb would. I'll see if I can dig up where I bought them.

Considering my front bumper needs rechromed and the rear is a garbage repop, I had thought about tinting or somehow coloring them black. I need to photoshop it and see how it looks.

About Frankie's, after spending weeks calling dozens and dozens of yards looking for complete motors I happened across one at Frankie's. When I called he said it had the plastic covers, the computer "sitting on top of the motor", the alternator, and the p/s bracket; pretty much everything. When the motor came none of that stuff was on the pallet so I called and he told me he sent it and that he would call the shippers. He never did, but I did and was told they picked up one pallet and one only, with no extra things "on top". Every day for a month I would call him multiple times asking where my stuff was and every time it was either "I'll have my man in the shop call you", "I'll call you back" or "I just next-day aired it, it cost me $80". He never called back or mailed anything of course. I disputed the charge for what I was missing with my credit card co, but since I didn't have an itemized receipt they eventually overturned it. His story to them was that despite my receipt saying I ordered a "complete" motor, it was like me buying a jacket and expecting to get gloves with it, or some **** like that. On phone conversations you could hear him asking his mom stuff so it's pretty clear they are some sort of inbred trash family and he is at most half of a man. At one point I even asked him to just tell me if he was a liar so I could start looking elsewhere and he couldn't even do that. I got some good deals on other things so ultimately I did okay price-wise, but considering the time wasted I am way behind.
So yeah, frankies auto people are liars and thieves. Kind of pathetic what people will do for a couple hundred bucks these days, the economy must be tougher than I realized.

Edit - Here is a pic z28 sent me of the power steering pulley and grand cherokee box. This pulley was from a 3.1 or 3.4 in a pontiac or buick of some sort, with a transverse motor and fwd. Next time I hit the pull a part I'll see if I can find another one and identify the vehicle it was in. I know for certain there are tons of that and similar cars in the junk heaps.

Last edited by chuckd71; 02-10-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Need to address the power steering pulley, its not lined up with the other accessories. I didnt have time to mess with it, but I think it just needs pressed on further to be fully seated.

Also the drivers side header does not fit good, I cant actually bolt it up flush with ther head because the primaries hit right next to the frame where there is a brake line junction. Moving the junction looks like it will be a big mess. I guess i'll "massage" the primaries to fit. Hate to hit a new set of headers but its not going to be enough to hinder flow and a shot of paint you wont notice unless you are looking for it. The header is so close, I guess everything cant go completely smooth. The passenger side header fits fine and is bolted up. The engine is basically fully dressed sans the a/c compressor. This weekend i'll mess with installing the new pump, bolting in the fuel tank, and plumbing the fuel system, then wire it up. Its coming along quickly even though I havnt had any full days to dedicate to it this week

Quick Reply: LS1 and 200-4r to L92 / T56 in 71 Chevelle convertible...now Gen V LT1 6L80e swapping