Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob 6.0L question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob 6.0L question

Starting to try and line up an engine and parts for a swap in my 65 LeMans. Stopped at a local yard today and they had a 02 6.0L, 100k for $700. Was an iron block with aluminum heads. No acc's on front. Questions are...

1. What exactly is it? L??
2. Does that seem like a reasonable price?
3. When looking at takeouts, is there anything i should be looking for in particular to make sure there isnt a problem with it?
4. Is there a web site that brakes down codes and such to identify these engines when they're setting on a pallet at a yard?

Sorry if these have been asked a million times. Did some searching and couldn't find the answers i was looking for. Thanks.... Marc
Old 09-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure what you are looking for in an engine but, I bought my engine for $1100 form my local Junkyard. The engine came complete with all accessories, ECU, drive by wire computer, the accelerator pedal, mass air, Wire harness with fuse box.

I was also allowed to go back and swap out the alternator that made noise when I spun it. I was also allowed to return for many other items such as trans bolts, spark plug wires, o2 sensors, etc.

The engine was pulled right out of a 2008 Silverado 2500hd with 64K on the od.

It is labeled as an LQ4. It has the 319 heads. says 6.0 on the head gasket as well on the front and rear of the block.

its been installed for about 9 mos. now and runs like a champ.

I had the harness reworked my Tom at lt1 350

He was there every step of the way. He's awesome! his response time was incredible. Even available on weekends and past closing time too. I called him 6 Mos. after the build for some alarm Q's and he was just as enthusiastic to help me as day one.

If your not thinking of going fuel Injection this part wont help. But, if your considering it, He will make it as painless as possible.

I don't think I answered your question. However, hopefully it gives you some information to better help you make your decision.

Good Luck,

Joe
Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. Just looking to do a mild carb build with this car and add a T56. When the time comes i might go FI. Just looking to have a nice reliable powerplant that can cruise down the interstate, get decent milage, but have enough power to not embarass me when its needed.