Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things you missed before first starting your motor.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Things you missed before first starting your motor.

Im wrapping things up to get my motor started for the first time, and know i will inevitably forget something. Next tuesday was the deadline i set for myself for the first drive. Hate to be negative, but probably wont happen, my driveshaft is due in the mail friday, and it needs to be shortened and balanced. And my front tierods are on their way, along with needing to install all my break lines and route my steering linkage. not to mention modify my wire harness[im an electrical engineer, so this parts easy].

So new goal is get the motor to run by tuesday. I've found some very good articles and guides to the harness wiring, but what else did you guys forget that held you back. This is my first time ever tinkering with an ls motor, or better yet setting up and starting a motor from scratch.

Any help would be great, i can't wait to
Old 09-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine fired first time lol I probably got lucky but I share your type of brain I'm majoring in ME and I plan on continuing with an EE since my schooling is free I figure why not?

Since you're an EE I don't see you forgetting anything in the controls department so just make sure you fill and check all the fluids before and check your fuel system.

Oh and something a wise man told me, make sure if you took your coils off the heads that you get them back on the same side. but I think this is something that you probably already have covered just in your natural thinking
Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Check all your fuel connections again. Once I pressured mine up, I found two small drips on the return line at the -AN fittings.........good luck on the startup....

T,
Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
Im wrapping things up to get my motor started for the first time, and know i will inevitably forget something. Next tuesday was the deadline i set for myself for the first drive. Hate to be negative, but probably wont happen, my driveshaft is due in the mail friday, and it needs to be shortened and balanced. And my front tierods are on their way, along with needing to install all my break lines and route my steering linkage. not to mention modify my wire harness[im an electrical engineer, so this parts easy].

So new goal is get the motor to run by tuesday. I've found some very good articles and guides to the harness wiring, but what else did you guys forget that held you back. This is my first time ever tinkering with an ls motor, or better yet setting up and starting a motor from scratch.

Any help would be great, i can't wait to
If you haven't already put coolant in it, pull the top hose off the radiator and fill the enginethrough the hose, first. Then re-connect it and fill the radiator. Sometimes the thermostat don't want to open the first time if you don't do that.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Yep I definitely have to agree with filling the motor with coolant first. Then fill the radiator. I had my motor air locked when it first started and it got hot real quick.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Launching!

What about actuallycranking the motor over?

In my situation the engine has been sitting for 2 years now....should I crank the motor over by hand a few revolutions before I go to engage the starter? Or what do you guys recommend.

To the OP, I hope you don't feel this is a thread hijack. Hope it's okay since it's about the same topic....
Old 09-16-2010, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

I've read that you should unplug the coils and injectors and crank the engine with the key, this will get the oil flowing and then you can go ahead plug in your coils and injectors and fire it up.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have the time, get the car up on Jacks stands and "Nut" the whole car or everything you worked on.
That is just check and tighten every nut and bolt.. wipe/clean them as you move from rear to front of the car.. That way you will double check and inspect everything else too... you might find other items or problem areas along the way.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pull the plugs completely when cranking it over the first time. Crank no longer than 30 seconds at a time until you get oil pressure.

The nut and bolt check is a great idea. First time out I had loose lug nuts.

And pressurize the fuel system and check every connection before doing anything with the motor. That's a tough thing to force yourself to do cause you want to hear the motor turn over, but obviously the only right way to go about it.

Completely removing one of the steam vent plugs when filling the motor with coolant really helps get the air out.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"In my situation the engine has been sitting for 2 years now"..
New or cleaned injectors?? if not, 2 yrs with dried/nasty fuel in them, could/ may cause problems. [I see it frequently with junk yard injs I clean.]
Old 09-16-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

A couple questions:
-Is there no way to prime the motor out of the car? On an old-timey small block you could stick a screwdriver on a drill where the distributor goes.
-What's the best way to clean injectors out before hooking them up?

Having someone who didn't keep up with what you were doing come over and think of possible missed things can help; something you've forgotten might be something they come up with.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine started on the 2nd try. There was a ground on the engine wiring harness back by the oil pressure sender that I forgot to hookup. I grounded it to the back of the block and it started right up. I also bled the air out of my fuel system using the valve on the fuel rail.

I had a fire extinguisher handy just in case!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget VATS removal from your PCM!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Check over grounds and vacuum lines. I didn't have a good ground from the block to the body and it started smoking when cranking, then I missed a vacuum port and the engine would fire, run to high idle and die. Had a friend fire it while I hovered over the engine and could hear a whooshng noise, and found the vacuum leak.

Edit - Also key on and off a couple times and let your fuel pump prime all your fuel lines, I found a leak after doing that.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

What is the best way to prime the engine? My motor has been sitting a while and Im sure the majority of the oil has drainned back down.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys i wish i had time are work today to keep up with all the replies. So i'll do my best to respond and ask more questions.

chevyboy91188: Oh and something a wise man told me, make sure if you took your coils off the heads that you get them back on the same side. but I think this is something that you probably already have covered just in your natural thinking
Something i did do, and no i don't remember which went where. In my logic, the coilpacks all go to the same connector[seems as both sides are identical] and the firing order should be based on the single going to that connector and shouldn't matter otherwise.

Are they different? Any details would be great!

TomM: Check all your fuel connections again. Once I pressured mine up, I found two small drips on the return line at the -AN fittings.........good luck on the startup....

T,
My last AN connector came in the mail today, i need to go through and teflon tape all the fittings and tighten for one also time.

LS1MCSS: If you haven't already put coolant in it, pull the top hose off the radiator and fill the enginethrough the hose, first. Then re-connect it and fill the radiator. Sometimes the thermostat don't want to open the first time if you don't do that.
Nope no coolant yet, radiator isn't mounted. I through it back in the box after i fitted it and make its mounting brackets.

bczee: If you have the time, get the car up on Jacks stands and "Nut" the whole car or everything you worked on.
That is just check and tighten every nut and bolt.. wipe/clean them as you move from rear to front of the car.. That way you will double check and inspect everything else too... you might find other items or problem areas along the way.
Thats my plan once i get it all running, through a milk crate in it, and am ready to take it for its first spin around the block.

FastKat: Mine started on the 2nd try. There was a ground on the engine wiring harness back by the oil pressure sender that I forgot to hookup. I grounded it to the back of the block and it started right up. I also bled the air out of my fuel system using the valve on the fuel rail.

I had a fire extinguisher handy just in case!
Good call on the extinguisher! If im not mistaken shouldn't the system bleed the air out on its own if its has a return line?

Frost: Don't forget VATS removal from your PCM!
Its a mail order tune, so that SHOULD be all set.

MonteFastChevy: Check over grounds and vacuum lines. I didn't have a good ground from the block to the body and it started smoking when cranking, then I missed a vacuum port and the engine would fire, run to high idle and die. Had a friend fire it while I hovered over the engine and could hear a whooshng noise, and found the vacuum leak.

Edit - Also key on and off a couple times and let your fuel pump prime all your fuel lines, I found a leak after doing that.
I almost forgot the vac lines, i need to do a search for a diagram on what goes where. If you guys know of one off hand please link me.

Thanks for all the help guys, and yes im dying to start it, but realized i need to take my time and do it right.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Threads are always nicer with pictures!
Attached Thumbnails Things you missed before first starting your motor.-image_161.jpg  
Old 09-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sending you a pm with the info from my instillation manual that came with my harness i cant post it because it is the guys property I bought the harness from on ebay
Old 09-16-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
Threads are always nicer with pictures!
You basatrd. LOL. nice looking ride. I would love the new FoctoryFive( I think thats the manufactur) one out but maybe AWD. If I am donna dream. dream BIG
Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepnut24
What is the best way to prime the engine? My motor has been sitting a while and Im sure the majority of the oil has drainned back down.
yes. a plug in frontside of the drivers side blockg2g. sorry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things you missed before first starting your motor.