Sponsored by:

Strange Issue! Cam sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Issue! Cam sensor

Hey all,

I have a 1989 240SX with an aluminum 5.3L swapped into the car. Did all the work with a friend over the course of a few months working on it here and there. Within the last couple of weeks we finally got it running, and now I'm running into a bit of an issue.

The block and heads are out of an Envoy of unknown year. I bought it from a shop who had swapped one out, this one had a misfire they determined was a lifter and the price of a new engine was less than the labour/parts to fix it. (It was a dead AFM lifter). It's an aluminum block setup with AFM (obviously). The crank in it (and matching crank sensor) are a 24x crank. According to wikipedia it's an LH6.

The cam sensor is on the front cover.

The PCM is programmed to make it thinks its a stock F body, which I figured would be good enough for a base startup. 28lb injectors, 58.5 psi @ the rail, LS1 intake, LS1 throttle body, etc. It's a red/blue connector PCM.

Now that I've got it started, it won't run properly (mega lean) and backfires out of the intake occasionally, and shoots a good amount of flames. As expected, there's a cam sensor code. There's also a MAP sensor code but I'm sure that can be solved without too much effort. (running no MAF at all either).

Now what I'm wondering and hoping some people can answer before I have to take the front cover off, will my PCM read the cam signal, or do I have a newer style (gen4) cam and sensor? This motor seems like a bastard child of a gen3 and gen4 motor. I assumed because I had a 24x crank, I would have a matching 1x (i think) cam.

Any insight would be great.

Matt