Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 in a 2005 CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92 in a 2005 CTS-V

So here is my plan, I want to put a L92 in a 2005 CTS-V while keeping the VVT. Right now I have a LS6 in it. Obviously I know that the crank and cam sensors will be a problem but you can get the converter box from Lingenfelter. My question is will the converter box work when your moving the cam around?

Also I want to use the original LS6 wiring to keep all of the network on the car working the way its suppost to. So some searching Ive done I see that Pantera EFI can control the VVT. Does anyone have experience with it?

As well with the VVT the Accessories will have to be spaced out .75" if i remember correctly. Which because of clearance issues I think I will have to move the rad forward a little bit, but thats no big deal.

Anyone else see any more unforseen things I have missed?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i could be wrong but i do believe VVT will require a 58 tooth reluctor wheel signal, so the lingenfelter converter box wont be able to be used, as to converts the 58 tooth signal to a 24 tooth signall. I think the whole reason for GM converting to 58 tooth is because of VVT. Again i could be wrong but im pretty sure......
Old 09-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Teching In

That wouldnt matter to me becuse i want to use and add on to control the vvt and use my original pcm that takes a 24 tooth signal for everything else.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

someone else will have to chime in, iv never seen anyone do this. I'm trying to understand what exactly your doing, From what i gather your original pcm will control the engine, and there is something else that controls the vvt? never heard of this. if i had i would have kept the VVT my l92 came with. I know there are pcms what control vvt but they also control the rest of the engine..... this is way above my knowledge base. could u please send me a link to the controller your talking about, id like to seee it.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Yes you have the right idea of what im trying to do. I saw a post on here a while ago of a guy from Pantera EFI that said he had a controller for it. http://www.panteraefi.com/ Although i sent an email to them and i havent heard anything back. When i get closer to the project ill have to investigate it further.

Your trans am sounds like its built pretty good. How do you like the L92?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, I love the extra displacement over my old LS1 u can really feel it.
As far as the pantera controller, id assume they meant they had a pcm that could control a vvt engine, not just an add on module. I could be wrong though.
Id check with Mast Motorsports they are the leader in VVT performance and a sponsor on here, if anyone knew it would be them.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by exhaustvp
Yes you have the right idea of what im trying to do. I saw a post on here a while ago of a guy from Pantera EFI that said he had a controller for it. http://www.panteraefi.com/ Although i sent an email to them and i havent heard anything back. When i get closer to the project ill have to investigate it further.

Your trans am sounds like its built pretty good. How do you like the L92?
PanteraEFIs website is a joke.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Yes PanteraEFIs website is pretty bad, I guess Id just have to call them.

Glad to hear that it was a good swap. I dont really want to go with Mast because I want to keep all of the network on my car intact as well as for emission testing.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

any update?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Im not quite ready to go ahead with the swap yet i just want to see some other peoples insight on it. Ill post some stuff about it when i get there.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm running a MAST ECU on my L92 with VVT. You will need either the orginal GM ECU for the VVT motor or you will need an aftermarket one made to work with the VVT. I don't know of anyone that has an add on for the non VVT ECU. I remember hearing that MAST was working on making their ECU send out GM LAN signals but I don't know if that ever came about. If so then you could simply use theirs and still have your gauges work. A possible second solution would be to keep your CTS-V ECU and add the L92 ECU for the engine. You should be able to send all the sensor signals from the L92 to your stock ECU so the gauges would work and the L92 ECU would control the engine. Basically you would be running sensor wiring to both ECUs. Well at least the stuff you need to make the gauges work. I haven't tried it but in theory it should work. Since you have a T-56 you don't have to worry about the trans.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Yes thats what i was thinking of doing was running both ECU if there was no aftermarket controller aviable. Ill have to look further into this. The 05 CTS-V is more difficult to because it uses Class II network instead of the new GMLAN. I think i read somewhere that the E67 ECU still has a Class II output but what it would take to hook this up and make it work would take some trial and error. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Is the LS6 stock? The L92 seems like a lot of work to make (stock for stock) not much more power. If you're wanting to use your existing wiring, just simplify things and ditch the VVT and use your current ECM control it.

The money to do this swap could be spent on a bunch of good upgrades for the LS6...

IMO PanteraEFI's website scares me. If they were serious they'd have a better site. It's not hard to build a website that actually displays some of your products and services properly.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have an 05 CTS-V did they get the 6.0L that year?

If so - just swap on the L92 heads, and the L76 intake of a G8GT and call it a day...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Teching In

The 05 has the 5.7L LS6 so i cant sway the L92 heads on because of the small bore. And the reason for swapping engines is it will be a lower milage engine. And i want to keep the VVT to be able to get the most low end torque I can. Not very many people are doing it so its easy to just say forget about it, but then how will hotrodding advance.

Quick Reply: L92 in a 2005 CTS-V