Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS2 storage

Just started my 55 Olds 88 hot rod & got a deal on a 20K mile LS2 and trans out of an 06 GTO.

Looks like it's gonna be a while before I actually do anything with the motor beyond mock-up.

What's the best way to store this while I take care of the body and chassis (maybe a year?).

Should I remove the water pump and flush with water? I was think of shrink wrapping it on my engine stand.

What about the AC compressor? Anything special needed beyond sealing up the holes?

Joe
Old 09-23-2010, 05:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you may want to flush the cooling jackets out, but its probably overkill.

what i would do is pull all the plugs, shoot some wd40 in all of the cylinders, put the plugs back in.

leave it on your stand, shrink wrap it pretty well. whatever you cant do with shrink wrap, clean real well and use masking tape. make sure any showing machined surfaces have either oil or wd on them, and you should be good to go. the a/c compressor, make sure its filled to the correct level with the oil, than plug it or tape over the holes for the hoses. everyonce in a while you can turn the compressor just to distribute the lube. idk about the engine though, turning wise. never had to store one that long. good luck and lookin forward to your build.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Launching!

I like to loosen up all the rocker bolts to take the pressure off the springs.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

i had my ls1 in my 240 for about a year and a half, i took my plugs out every 2 months, sprayed some stabil fogging oil (wd-40 should work) and used the starter to turn the engine over, of course with oil in the pan, when i was finally able to start the motor lifters didn't take long at all to prime, What i did was probably overkill but i didn't have problems when i started the motor. I don't know if I would let the starter turn the motor on a stand, and loosing the rockers I think is a good idea instead of letting them sit for a year in one place, I didn't think of that.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nunan0219
you may want to flush the cooling jackets out, but its probably overkill.

what i would do is pull all the plugs, shoot some wd40 in all of the cylinders, put the plugs back in.

leave it on your stand, shrink wrap it pretty well. whatever you cant do with shrink wrap, clean real well and use masking tape. make sure any showing machined surfaces have either oil or wd on them, and you should be good to go. the a/c compressor, make sure its filled to the correct level with the oil, than plug it or tape over the holes for the hoses. everyonce in a while you can turn the compressor just to distribute the lube. idk about the engine though, turning wise. never had to store one that long. good luck and lookin forward to your build.

don't ever use wd40 it is not a rust preventative it actually promotes rust once it dries, get a film product like maxfilm or others they are the absolute best for that. and for inside the cyinders pick up some engine fogger at napa thats what its made for
Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice. What about the raw aluminum outside surface? Is there something I can spray on it that will keep it from oxidizing too much? Something that will come off when I want it to?

I will try to post some progress a sit happens. The body and front chassis need lots of attention though first.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Launching!

the engine already has whatever oxide it is going to get im sure, I mean if its used its been through weather and sat. so sitting in a garage shouldn't be something to worry about
Old 09-24-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it is only going to sit a year or two then I would just tape over the openings, throw a tarp over it and call it good. Whatever youi do make sure to change the oil before starting it again.

If you are really worried about it or live in a super humid area like Florida, then you can get an engine storage bag and put a box of water absorber in the bottom when you seal it up. Most home stores sell boxes of desiccants.

Don't know that I agree with the comment about WD40 causing rust. I use it on my guns all the time. The WD stands for water displacement, it was made specifically to prevent rust by displacing water.

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/
Old 09-24-2010, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

thats what i thought. my glock has had it on it for a year while its been dormant in my basement and the barrel/slides have no rust on them. plus i've never had an engine rust with wd on it (granted i spray it on every few weeks to recoat it, but ive also never been patient enough to store an engine for more than a month)
Old 09-24-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367491&highlight=wd40"

When doing the storage prep, pull the injectors, shake out the fuel, and put some 3 in 1 oil in them, cap them off, and bag them in zip loc bags.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If it is only going to sit a year or two then I would just tape over the openings, throw a tarp over it and call it good. Whatever youi do make sure to change the oil before starting it again.

If you are really worried about it or live in a super humid area like Florida, then you can get an engine storage bag and put a box of water absorber in the bottom when you seal it up. Most home stores sell boxes of desiccants.

Don't know that I agree with the comment about WD40 causing rust. I use it on my guns all the time. The WD stands for water displacement, it was made specifically to prevent rust by displacing water.

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/
well it certainly doesn't prevent rust here lol probably because it is humid, but still the other products are alot better and don't require recoating. I figure if they work in FL on stopping flash rust then they will work in the drier areas. But wd40 doesn't cut it here

Quick Reply: LS2 storage