Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Chevy C10

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey idk if you know about it but there is a huge 67-72 forum,a nd a LS swap section too..
general forum: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/
ls swap section: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the steelies look. Have you thought about using Dodge 20" steel wheels? They're relatively cheap and look sweet (see pic)

Old 04-24-2013, 05:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1970 ls_c10
hey idk if you know about it but there is a huge 67-72 forum,a nd a LS swap section too..
general forum: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/
ls swap section: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206
I have a build thread over there as well. That site is amazing

Originally Posted by TORK?
I like the steelies look. Have you thought about using Dodge 20" steel wheels? They're relatively cheap and look sweet (see pic)

I've never seen them before. What did those come off of? Are they 5 on 5 lug pattern? I thought Dodge was 5 on 5.5

Edit: From what I can see, they look to be 6 lug
Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 AM
Launching!

So after many months of neglect, I finally decided to pull the trigger on fixing this truck.

2 weeks ago, my pops backed his bobcat into Nasty. I was heartbroken to see my girly hurt.

So he pulled the grill off to try and fix it

Then I decided to go a different route...

Everything is disconnected from the doghouse...

Off with the clip

The one eyed front end is off to meet its new partner

Instead of buying me another $400+ chrome grill, Dad bought me a new radiator support and gave me a fender...

This is as far as we got the first day.

2nd day

Got everything mounted up but the hood. We still have to paint the inside of the hood before installing it, and I was by myself, so I just got all the little stuff done.

Also installed a new TPS hoping that would correct the late shifting from 1st problem, but it didn't. Going to take it to the mechanic and have him drop the pan, and do a service on it. If I had a lift, I'd do it myself, but this truck is too freakin low for me to crawl my fat *** under it
Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 AM
Launching!

this past weekend's progress...

The initial plan was to just swap the clip, DA the whole thing, and shoot a coat of GM black and a matte clear. Well, then my pops decides he wants to fix the dents and dings in the bed... and the tailgate... and the doors... and the whole truck.

So this weekend while i was taking my exam, he installed the hood. The new-to-me hinges are bent, so it doesn't sit all the way right. This sucks, but I'll run it like this until i can afford new ones.

After the test, I went to his house and we got to work. At the end of the day, this is where we were at.

The driver fender and grille are factory GM parts. They were in great shape considering where they came from, and that they were not repos. There was one dent in the driver fender, and the mounting holes on the grille needed to be massaged to line up correctly. The spot in the middle lower portion of the grille was 3 dents. We used a stud gun to pull out the dents, then a body hammer to work on the high spots. This metal was not fun to work with due to it being so thin

I cut out the small rust spot and cleaned the inside of the hole. This picture shows where we set the fender and grille placement. It took a little work to get them to line up this well, but I think the end result is worth it.

So the passenger fender was a painted repo we picked up from a swap meet for 40 bucks. It was in great shape, other than the fact it was a repo. The problem was during the manufacturing process, a group of ripples was cast into the metal around the headlight bucket. Instead of leaving the ripples in there like the PO did, I broke out the flap wheel and sander and worked the area until i got all the ripples out. Then dad put a skim coat of filler to fill the grinding marks

The truck used to have a snap vinyl bed cover at some point. The button holes were still in the truck down both sides of the bed. We spot welded all the holes, then went to work leveling out the panels. Still a little wavy, but after a couple coats of high build primer, it will be nice.

The bottom section was a giant dent that happened a couple years ago when one of my dad's employees backed a trailer into the truck. We used the stud gun to pull it out, then a skim coat of filler again to help level everything back out.

We started working on the tailgate, getting all the dings across the top out.

Then I decided I wanted to go on and install my tailgate skin and relocation bracket. This is a factory lettered tailgate, so dad has been salivating over it for years. I told him to find me another tailgate, and this one was his. So he did.

This is where we stopped. I'll pick up my tailgate this week, then start fitting the skin and relocation bracket. I know a lot of guys on here see the filler and get upset, but you can still take a magnet and it will hold.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Filler is only bad if it's improperly applied, or really thick. It doesn't look that way to me. I like the new front end, now it actually looks like a '68 again.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Filler is only bad if it's improperly applied, or really thick. It doesn't look that way to me. I like the new front end, now it actually looks like a '68 again.
Thanks! I have a few more modifications I want to make. We are really looking at getting the exterior wrapped up before going inside. There will be a good amount of things inside the truck I want to change, so it's best to do that at a later date
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate say it, but I still like it best the way it was in your sig pic - I think it is because my best friend growing up had a '72... brings back memories...
Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Launching!

Really picking up steam on this truck. Seeing it come together is really exciting for me. It truly is a dream come true.

Anyway, enough of the soapbox... Lets get onto the updates!:metal:

Most of the exterior body modifications and repairs are completed. Still have to shave the new tailgate, and now I have decided to go ahead and fix the rust in the floor/inner rocker area. It is the only real "damage/repair-needed" area left on the truck, so might as well address it now, and get it over with.

Here is a pic as of yesterday evening.

(sorry for the dark picture. Photobucket is being a tool right now...)

Can you guys tell what has been done?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Hate say it, but I still like it best the way it was in your sig pic - I think it is because my best friend growing up had a '72... brings back memories...
Thanks man. Yea, it was a cool looking truck, but just not exactly what I wanted. From the day I bought this truck, I wanted that "shark nose" front end, just never had the time, money, or desire to do the whole front end change. After the damage was done to the front, that was the final straw.

My buddy who is the photographer that took the Buffalo Trace pics said he has a couple models wanting to do a pinup set, so once I get the truck repainted, we are doing another photoshoot.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Launching!

We will start where i stopped for today.

The truck has been primed, and we are working on straightening out any waviness in the panels. Matte Black and Gloss Black are really bad about showing any type of imperfection, so we are taking a little extra time to work the body to be nice and straight.

the passenger side is needing the most work. There were a few low spots in the fender, and the rocker panel has 4 pretty good size dents that will need to be addressed, but overall, it is coming along nicely.

I also decided to clean the 40+ years of seam sealer out of the drip rail. There were only a couple places that rust was starting, but i was sure to grind it all out and it should be ready to go.

Only 1 spot of rust that needed to be repaired was below the drip rail. I welded everything up, so after some handy work with the grinder, it will never be noticed.

I started my day by pulling the carpet out of the way, so we could address the last rust issues in the cab. (The only other rust in the truck is the piece in the bed floor)

Overall, they are not too bad. The inner rockers need to be replaced, but my dad is not one to buy patch panels, so he wants to fabricate his own. I'm ok with that, as it saves me money!

Here are the bad spots

Driver

Passenger
Old 05-01-2013, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What tank and pump did you use ?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ijimmy
What tank and pump did you use ?
Fuel?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Banned

I would love to have a truck like that to tow my boat around. Nice work.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes fuel tank ive reed where others are useing a grand cherokie tank , i want it back behind the rear , with and internal pump

building a 68 c10 of my own with a ly6 , and turbo 350 or 200 4r
Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by scottyroc
I would love to have a truck like that to tow my boat around. Nice work.
Only thing this thing hauls is ***

Originally Posted by ijimmy
yes fuel tank ive reed where others are useing a grand cherokie tank , i want it back behind the rear , with and internal pump

building a 68 c10 of my own with a ly6 , and turbo 350 or 200 4r
I'm running this tank, sending unit, pump, cap and neck

http://sokyclassics.com/product.php?section=1000886
Old 05-28-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh40601
I've never seen them before. What did those come off of? Are they 5 on 5 lug pattern? I thought Dodge was 5 on 5.5

Edit: From what I can see, they look to be 6 lug
Sorry for the late reply. You're right, those are 6x5.5. They are 20" Nissan Titan/Armada/Infiniti QX56 spares.

The Dodge 20" spares are 5x5.5 like you said.

Quick Reply: 68 Chevy C10