Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicross conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicross conversion...

I have been moving along with my conversion and thought I'd test fit the motor in today... its a tight fit, but as I expected, the dang thing fit. I will have to make a few modifications before I can do motor mounts though.

The front axle housing needs to be lowered 2-3 inches... needed that anyway since I cranked my torsion bars to lift the front end. Now the CV joints aren't straight when driving down the road... more stress... not needed. Anyway, if I lower the housing, its gonna correct the CV joint angle AND its gonna give the 2-3 inches of space I need to safely clear the front axle housing.

On top of that, I think I'm gonna have to beat my firewall and transmission tunnel a little. The stock tranny was a 4L30E which is much smaller... if it fits the way it is, its gonna be tight... and we know what thats gonna do... CREATE LOTS of noise!

Next I will have to come up with a different configuration for accessories. I am using a motor and accessories out of a 2000 Z/28. Unfortunately, the alternator (lower drivers side) hits the steering box before I get even close to completely in. Probably not a good idea to have the alternator that low anyway if I'm gonna be offroad regularly... which I will be once its up and running. What other accessory configurations are there? Are they different on the trucks? Vette? I need something that gets my accessories more towards the top side.

I still need to pin down my transfer case adaptor situation. I have talked to Novak today. I spoke with Eric via email and he said that ANYTHING can be adapted... but we should FIRST talk about the options and figure out what is best for me. I sent him pictures of my transfer case and stock adaptor plate and also sent him some measurements. With the way the T-Case is clocked, the front prop shaft may be able to clear the transmission oil pan... but its gonna be close. Otherwise he is recommending the Dana300 T-case... it has the correct right hand front prop and he already has the proper adaptor plate sitting on the shelf.

All in all, it has been a fairly exciting day for me. Check out the link below for pictures... hopefully you don't get the little red X's. Lemme know what you think.

http://community.webshots.com/album/114543025idgovH?12

TTYL!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Coach,
I know that the trucks have the alternator up high on the drivers side. (I have a 5.3 Silverado.) However, looking at the mounting bracket on my truck, it also holds the PS pump, which I don't need (I didn't look at it too hard, as it's REALLY cold up here lately). I think that $&P has some neat custom brackets, but they're $. You're ahead of me in the swap, so let me know what you come up with. Hopefully I gave you some kind of starting point.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good!! I don't know why he suggested a D300, they are good cases, but wre originally Jeep and international cases,I'd recomend a chevy NP205 or NP203. D300, IMO is just a little weak to be backing an LS1. Good job on the swap though, and I still say go SFA! But good work and can't wait to see the final product!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, so its been awhile since I started my little swap... and things have been hit and miss... there have been some hang ups due to a couple episodes of a knee injury... long story short... this has gone on too long.

Anyway, in the last week, I have made some good progress... so here ya go in case ya care. lol The motor is in its final resting position, the tranny is bolted up and in his place and the Borg Warner Torque on Demand tranfer case is bolted up to the tranny... I have to weld my motor mounts into place and I need to modify my tranmission mount to support... well, the tranny and T-case!

Here are a couple links to pictures I've recently taken... pictures of the motor, tranny and transfer case in place. I have also held the front prop shaft up into place... its gonna clear the tranny oil pan with room to spare! Made my day!

http://community.webshots.com/album/180923459UYEBAE
http://community.webshots.com/album/181332477UMdnwQ

Anyway... check it out and lemme know what you think... The end is near... oh wait... that sounds like a bad thing... I can however see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.

TTYL!
Old 08-31-2004, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you get the alternator mount figured out? There is a relocation kit for F-bodys. Pro Stock John has one on his car, as do many others.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:34 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those VehiCrosses are neat lil' SUVs , a V8 is gonna make that scream! Very cool conversion!major props for originality! Is it the "IronMan" edition by any chance?
Old 08-31-2004, 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fandango
Did you get the alternator mount figured out? There is a relocation kit for F-bodys. Pro Stock John has one on his car, as do many others.
I'd like to see said relocation kit. Anyone have pictures? I have a truck alternator bracket and still need to mount it. I think its gonna work out but I always like to keep my options open.

Originally Posted by badjuju342
those VehiCrosses are neat lil' SUVs , a V8 is gonna make that scream! Very cool conversion!major props for originality! Is it the "IronMan" edition by any chance?
Yeah, its an Ironman... and boy oh boy is it gonna be the Ironman! Thanks for the props... its been fun doing this... I can't wait to drive it again! Its been killing me.

TTYL!
Old 08-31-2004, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Scooter70 and 70ls1 made an alternator bracket to move the alternator up. Probably cost about 40 dollars in aluminum and some time. Scooter is gone on vacation for a few more days still. I will put up some pics in an hour or so. I am at school right now and dont have them. Hopefully someone will be able to explain it.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=alternator I will look for some pics of it on the car soon.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year VX? Just curious, how is it coming?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lostpatrolman
Scooter70 and 70ls1 made an alternator bracket to move the alternator up. Probably cost about 40 dollars in aluminum and some time. Scooter is gone on vacation for a few more days still. I will put up some pics in an hour or so. I am at school right now and dont have them. Hopefully someone will be able to explain it.
I would definitely be interested in more info. I checked the link and found the images... looks good... might be an option... but still not positive I need it... but that you!

Originally Posted by cooks 7
What year VX? Just curious, how is it coming?
It's a 2000 Ironman Edition Vehicross... things are coming along quite well now. I had a few hangups with a knee injury (twice) and just life as it is... but now that I see the light at the end of the tunnel... I'm all over it... unfortunately, I can only work on it during the weekend due to being a single full-time parent... my time with my boy during the week is MY priority... of course, on the weekends, my sons time with his friends is HIS priority. Oh well... stay tuned!

TTYL!

Coach!
Old 08-31-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try PMing 70ls1 if you have any questions.
Name:  scooteraltbracket.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  40.3 KB
Name:  scooteraltbracket2.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  49.3 KB

Last edited by Lostpatrolman; 08-31-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey... someone did a nice job on those. Cool pics.

Coach- I have the CAD files and some jpgs of the parts on my computer at work. I'll be back there Tuesday. Drop me an e-mail or PM and I can send them your way.

I was actually wondering a couple of weeks ago how your truck was coming along. Sounds like you're (slowly) progressing. Keep it up. Those last few little things can be a major PITA.

-Matt
Old 09-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Coach- I have the CAD files and some jpgs of the parts on my computer at work. I'll be back there Tuesday. Drop me an e-mail or PM and I can send them your way.

I was actually wondering a couple of weeks ago how your truck was coming along. Sounds like you're (slowly) progressing. Keep it up. Those last few little things can be a major PITA.
Well, there for the longest time, I didn't get to touch a wrench... but the last couple weekends have been VERY productive. This weekend I will be relocating the transmission crossmember mounts 3"-4" back to compensate for how far back the T-case has been pushed back due to the larger tranny. I have made some arrangements for a little ride on a trailer up to the exhaust shop for next weekend most likely... then I plan to do the wiring. I'm DEFINITELY a lot further along than I was just a month ago... wish me luck!
Old 09-05-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Patrolman-
Are you guys still running power steering? Where did you mount the pump and resevoir if you do still have it? and how is the belt routing?
Old 09-07-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol, mine isnt in yet. I have just been watching what the others do. Those pics posted are scooters. Scooter isnt runnign ps or a/c. 70LS1 also has the same alt. bracket, but I donno what he has.

Last edited by Lostpatrolman; 09-07-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Teching In

pretty cool idea, what ever happened with this?

Quick Reply: Vehicross conversion...