Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor mount problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor mount problem

i'm trying to put an ls1 into my 79 t/a. i bought the carshop plates (non setback), and also some moroso solid mounts part # 62515 and 62630. i can get one mount to line up fine, but the other looks to be about a half inch off or so. if i legnthen my frame holes by 1/4" towards the hood, should my mounts line up? ive searched and saw others who had this problem, but ended up just finding the engine cups for sbc mounts (i cant find anywhere in my area of jersey). so i dropped 80 bucks on these solid mounts hoping it would solve my issue, and now i hav an issue still with the one mount not lining up.

i need some advice as i'm doing this by myself and have some fab experience, just dont feel comfortable moving the engine position (my floors not level).

so any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Launching!

ive heard of shimming the mounts up before, i didnt know you had the carshop plates...
Old 10-01-2010, 05:24 AM
On The Tree

i posted this in my build thread too, but in case i figure out what the hell i need to do, i'll put it in this for future builders.

the plates are 5/32" thick, so i'm thinking if i slot the holes on the engine mounts about that much, itll give me the adjustability i need to drop the engine in. (i was extremely tired yesterday and couldnt think for my life)

tried shimming those stupid mounts up, but no luck. the regular carshop plates dont account for their thickness, from what I can tell. So i'm going to mill the holes out to elongate them. and as long as they're even side to side, the engine should, SHOULD self level itself as long as nothing binds. my only problem is that my floor isnt level, or even close. so trying to get my engine level in the frame is going to be fun.

if i had the setback plates than this wouldnt be a problem, as it seems the holes account for the thickenss of the steel adapter plates.

i had the regular carshop plates, with no setback or drop.