Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

perplexing clutch issue

Old 10-01-2010, 02:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perplexing clutch issue

Ive got an lsx with a t56 in a 93 rx7. It has a US Brake brand after market clutch master cylinder and stock t56 slave with steal braided AN clutch line.

My issue is after extended periods of hard to full throttle the clutch will start to slip. I can be in it full throttle for awhile and usually in the upper gears it will start to slip as in it pulls hard through 3rd, 4th and sometimes 5th, then while at full throttle it will go from pulling hard one second to bouncing off rev limiter (usually in 4th or 5th gear) the next second because it starts to slip. When this happens i usually notice the clutch pedal pressure is greater then normal. Sometimes the clutch pedal is fairly stiff and takes some effort (more then usual) to push in. After i push it in to the floor and let it back out its usually back to a normal feeling.

I would almost say the clutch disc (spec stage 3) is going bad but once i get a normal feeling pedal back it will always hold strong though 1st, 2nd (blowing the tires off), and 3rd until im in it for an extended period of time again, then it will usually start slipping again but not always.

I thought i was boiling the fluid in the line since the line runs about 4 or 5in away from the exhaust manifolds/y pipe so i put a heat shield sleeve on it (tonight) made for hoses and lines thinking that may help my issue but after a high speed run (130-140mph) its still doing it.

I did not completely flush the old fluid but i did add quite a bit of new dot 3 fluid to the system when i bled the system after putting the heat shield sleeve over the line. The heat shield is a DEI prt# 010403 heat sheath which is supposed to be good for 500 deg constant direct heat.

Im at a loss as to what is happening to cause my clutch to slip in the upper gears (sometimes the top of 3rd but usually 4th or 5th) but not the lower ones... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ls6rx7; 10-01-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ps... by extended periods of time in hard throttle i mean 20+ seconds (usually around 120-140mph).

Last edited by ls6rx7; 10-01-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be something as simple as adjusting the pushrod from the pedal to the master cylinder. I had the same issue on my SBC FB/Rx7 swap, it was always the pushrod adjustment for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: perplexing clutch issue