Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to change all the gaskets were oil can leak from

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I want to change all the gaskets were oil can leak from

So my motor is out and on the stand. It's a 2001 camaro 5.7 ls1. i had an oil leak before and i didnt fix the problem when tried. so I'm starting from scratch. i going to replace all the gaskets where i might have an oil leak from

Here's the list of gaskets or O-ring's

OIL PAN
REAR MAIN SEAL
REAR MAIN SEAL PLATE
OIL PRESSURE SWITCH
CAM SENSOR O-RING
INTAKE
VALVE COVER GASKETS
THE PLATE UNDER THE INTAKE----WHATS ITS TRUE NAME?
TIMING COVER

After I installed my motor and got it running, I would leave oil droppings
at the places I would park. The oil looked like it was coming from the rear main seal, in between the block an tran's. So I took my car to a buddy's lift and pulled the tran's and replaced the rear main and oil pan gasket. After all said and done the leak was worst. So now the motor is out of the car and on a stand. From looking at it, it looks like I have oil in between the intake and heads. Looks like the oil is running down the heads to the back of the block and down. So I'm thinking it might be the plate under the intake. Since the motor is out, I want to hit all the gaskets that might be a problem. The motor had some 90,000 miles on the car I took it out of. I'm going to take picture's and try to give a step by step on the replacements to try and help the next guy. So if you have any tips or tricks and some places you think sealant might be best. Feel free to chime in. Going to the dealership tomorrow after work and start picking the parts
Old 10-03-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

The plate under the intake is the valley cover. You will have to do some searching, as im not certain is was a problem with your certain year motor, but I believe on the LS2 & LS3 there were some problems with rough casting on either the mating surface of the block or the plate itself on the *** end of the motor. There was a TSB telling what sealant to use to stop the leaks from it. It may not affect your gen. motor but just throwing that out there.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be carefull on replacing the two crank end seals (front and rear).. mis-alignement will cause leaks also ! Do so research on the correct procedure.

On my chevelle.. I change the front seal.. on start up it leaked.. so I had to take the balancer off and check and align the timing seal/case.

There tools to help with lining up the seal/case. . but most of them are pertty costly for a one time job. I think most just try to align the best, hope for the best (which is what I did LOL).
Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Went to the dealer and got me some gaskets to get started. removed the intake and this is what i found.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look like you either had excessive PCV oil getting into the intake via the PCV Valve or pressure was pushing oil up the small Cylinder head bolts.. Was there oil in the bottom of the intake manifold ?

With 90k on the motor.. might want to take off the heads and get them refreshed and put some new springs on at the same time, finish the job with some ARP head bolts.

One more step would be to convert to a LS6 PCV valley cover while your at it. I think for the 2001 block it should bolt right on, if not, you might have to cut/grind the bolt for the cover to fit (LS1Howto has a page on the process), but I think the 01-02 LS1/LS6 block were a bolt on.

Quick Reply: I want to change all the gaskets were oil can leak from