Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st try at rod build '41 Willys/5.3L LM7

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st try at rod build '41 ******/5.3L LM7

Hi folks! New guy on the block here. Just forced into retirement and trying to fulfill lifelong dream of building a '41 ****** Coupe. Got a glass kit on an S-10 front, 4 bar triangulated 9" Ford rear end and stuffed in a 5.3L LM7 and 4L60E tranny. Going to work on the chassis first.

And first problem is the wiring for the motor, Got the original computer and wiring harness (I think). All the connections are made to the motor, but the ends of the wiring harness is where I need help. It looks like the ends if the INDIVIDUAL wires (not the cable connectors) were cut where they cam out of the fuse box maybe??

Where can I get a wiring schematic with the connections and wire colors listed so I can figure out where to hook these up?

Appreciate any help... I am sure I will have lots more rookie questions. BTW, my motor experience is being able to change the oil and filter and points and plugs like 35 years ago......

Mike
Attached Thumbnails 1st try at rod build '41 Willys/5.3L LM7-downsized_0923001551a.jpg   1st try at rod build '41 Willys/5.3L LM7-willys_1stt_try.jpg   1st try at rod build '41 Willys/5.3L LM7-front-end-wiring.jpg  
Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is the engine and what did it come out of? Should be able to get that exact GM service manual for it from ebay, or your local library can order it in. Your wiring info will be there. Btw, nice project. I almost purchased a glass ****** to use on an s10 frame and build a gasser before I purchased my TA. It was tough to choose between a '41, or a '33, but I really wanted that '33. Just didn't have the $$ at the time. Good luck on the build
Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mike0m

Where can I get a wiring schematic with the connections and wire colors listed so I can figure out where to hook these up?

Tons of good info here http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

Cool car, good luck on the build!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BlackDuk98

Thx for the recommendation - i'll check Ebay for a service manual. The power train was from an '06 Silverado 1500 with 14K miles on it. BTW, another silly question, this has a fiberglass fuel cell with 2 fuel lines out the top, so I think I m pretty much led to an external fuel pump. Where is the best position to locate the fuel pump and fuel filter?

Thx, Mike
Old 10-10-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike0m
BlackDuk98

Thx for the recommendation - i'll check Ebay for a service manual. The power train was from an '06 Silverado 1500 with 14K miles on it. BTW, another silly question, this has a fiberglass fuel cell with 2 fuel lines out the top, so I think I m pretty much led to an external fuel pump. Where is the best position to locate the fuel pump and fuel filter?

Thx, Mike
I would say the inside of the frame rail. Somewhere that can't be visible when looking from the outside. A place that won't get rocks thrown at it and a place where you will never need to put jack stands or lift it at.

Quick Reply: 1st try at rod build '41 Willys/5.3L LM7