Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 Notch LQ9 Swap..K-Member/Headers/Intake Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Notch LQ9 Swap..K-Member/Headers/Intake Questions

Hey guys I've got an 86 coupe I'm going to be putting an LQ9 into but I have a couple of questions. I already have the motor and I bought the coupe with a 4.6 K-member already in it. I understand this K-member can be used without too much trouble, however what kind of headers are you guys running with this k-member? What clears and what doesn't? Does anyone know?

Also does anyone know if using a 4.6 k-member with stock 4.6 motor mounts will allow the LQ9 with the trunk intake to fit under the stock fox body hood?

Appreciate the help, thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

You should be able to use the BRP headers without issue. They will really be your only option though as far as an off the shelf header that I am aware that is built to fit the factory mustang 5.0 K member which is bulky'er than the tube 4.6 you've got. The only place it may be tight is right where the motor mount is... the modular mount is a lil bigger (longer) than the 5.0 mount.

Stock truck intake miiiight fit. I remember on my first swap that the truck intake looked pretty close to fitting and I used a 4.6 k member with solid mounts. Just try and see. Dropping and pulling these motors in the foxbodys is SUPER easy and pulling an intake in the car would be cake!

If you've got a good fab guy that is fair I would really consider having him build a set IF the BRP headers do not fit. I really think that they'll fit but can't confirm and won't be trying anytime soon. LOL check with BRP . . .
Old 10-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info! I didn't know if there was anything out there that worked or not... I'll look into the BRP option. The car is getting painted before this motor goes in and I think I just might buy a cowl hood just to be safe.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

So you bought the coupe for JohnB that he was putting 4.6 in, awesome route to take with it. good luck
Old 10-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Verz
So you bought the coupe for JohnB that he was putting 4.6 in, awesome route to take with it. good luck
Yep, I offered to buy it from him as a roller, so he pulled the DOHC 4.6 out of it and sold it to me. Dunno if you've seen my intro thread but I've got it all torn down. Currently in the process of fixing all the surface rust inside and out and that little bit of rot on the rear 1/4 panel is getting replaced with a fresh panel and then will be getting sprayed in november, just in time to get put together over the winter.

I'll make a project thread once I start putting it together here soon.

Quick Reply: 86 Notch LQ9 Swap..K-Member/Headers/Intake Questions