Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things I've learned about CASE learn...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things I've learned about CASE learn...

So, I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on with my HP Tuners CASE learn and why I couldn't figure out how to do it. It seems as though everyone has bits and pieces of what to do and all of those ideas work only some of the time. There's misconceptions about whether or not CASE learn will work on a DBW or not.

Below is just my example of what worked for me:

Setup - L59 FlexFuel Gen III 5.3L GM Vortec engine hooked up to a Toyota 5-speed manual transmission. The engine was originally mated to a 4L60E automatic transmission. I am using DBW setup.

HP Tuners setup - flashed my truck to have SYSTEM -> GENERAL -> PRNDL equipped = PN only. (You can change it back to NONE after the CASE learn.)

Wire up C1.34 and C1.72 (from BLUE 80 pin PCM connector) to GND. These are the PRNDL selector wires to set the car to PARK. (I couldn't run my CASE learn without the car thinking it was in park. Neutral could work as well.)

Wiring setup - Wire up C1.33 TCC/Brake switch wire (from BLUE 80 pin PCM connector). I used a normally closed pushbutton switch and wired one end to C1.33 and the other end to IGN+.

Start car. Open HP Tuners Scanner. Make sure that you don't have any other important DTCs triggering. You can get away with a few of them, but some of them won't allow you to do the CASE learn. (It may be possible to just turn them all off and run the CASE learn. I don't know for sure though.)

Go to VCM controls -> Special. Let ECT engine cooling temp rise to proper level.

Hold brake (or pushbutton like I created on mine). Push CASE learn "Begin". Rev engine until the fuel cutoff starts sputtering the engine and then turn off the truck for 30 seconds.

Mine worked first time. I hope that helps some people. Let me know if I forgot anything or if you would like to add some stuff!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superdylan
So, I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on with my HP Tuners CASE learn and why I couldn't figure out how to do it. It seems as though everyone has bits and pieces of what to do and all of those ideas work only some of the time. There's misconceptions about whether or not CASE learn will work on a DBW or not.

Below is just my example of what worked for me:

Setup - L59 FlexFuel Gen III 5.3L GM Vortec engine hooked up to a Toyota 5-speed manual transmission. The engine was originally mated to a 4L60E automatic transmission. I am using DBW setup.

HP Tuners setup - flashed my truck to have SYSTEM -> GENERAL -> PRNDL equipped = PN only. (You can change it back to NONE after the CASE learn.)

Wire up C1.34 and C1.72 (from BLUE 80 pin PCM connector) to GND. These are the PRNDL selector wires to set the car to PARK. (I couldn't run my CASE learn without the car thinking it was in park. Neutral could work as well.)

Wiring setup - Wire up C1.33 TCC/Brake switch wire (from BLUE 80 pin PCM connector). I used a normally closed pushbutton switch and wired one end to C1.33 and the other end to IGN+.

Start car. Open HP Tuners Scanner. Make sure that you don't have any other important DTCs triggering. You can get away with a few of them, but some of them won't allow you to do the CASE learn. (It may be possible to just turn them all off and run the CASE learn. I don't know for sure though.)

Go to VCM controls -> Special. Let ECT engine cooling temp rise to proper level.

Hold brake (or pushbutton like I created on mine). Push CASE learn "Begin". Rev engine until the fuel cutoff starts sputtering the engine and then turn off the truck for 30 seconds.

Mine worked first time. I hope that helps some people. Let me know if I forgot anything or if you would like to add some stuff!
Cool!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running into the same issue - I have an 06 GTO 6 speed flash on a LS2 motor,(24x reluctor). Can't get it to execute the case learn. States its ready, states rev to cutoff, then gives "RPM too high", etc...
I don't have a brake switch wired in - I'll try that to see if it works. Before you tried that, did it give you the same indications or would it not even say ready until you put the push button switch in?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob H
I've been running into the same issue - I have an 06 GTO 6 speed flash on a LS2 motor,(24x reluctor). Can't get it to execute the case learn. States its ready, states rev to cutoff, then gives "RPM too high", etc...
I don't have a brake switch wired in - I'll try that to see if it works. Before you tried that, did it give you the same indications or would it not even say ready until you put the push button switch in?
Gen IV E40 ECM ?

Later Gen IV's require an E Brake applied signal on the CAN, so maybe the E40 does as well.

Sounds like the above example that does work is with an LS1 PCM.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. I'll have to check
Old 12-07-2010, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

also the case learn(crank/cam correlation learn) is only used for misfire diagnostics and has nothing to do with how the engine runs,, if you are not worried about p0300 misfire diag then just turn the dtc off (P0315) when you tune the ecm

Last edited by jay_lt4; 12-07-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
also the case learn(crank/cam correlation learn) is only used for misfire diagnostics and has nothing to do with how the engine runs,, if you are not worried about p0300 misfire diag then just turn the dtc off (P0315) when you tune the ecm
Turning off the code does not prevent misfire detection. Misfire detection is only inhibited WHILE THE CODE IS SET.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Launching!

I am having a difficult time getting the CASE relearn to perform also. I am having a persistent P0300 in an offroad buggy with an e40 ECM. I have C1:56 wired directly to ignition power to simulate brakes depressed, C1:13 & 51 wired to ground to simulate vehicle in park. CASE relearn says ready but then when I start it it says not all conditions met. There are no codes. Any ideas anyone?

J. J.

Quick Reply: Things I've learned about CASE learn...