Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Headers and A-Body Ground Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Edelbrock Headers and A-Body Ground Clearance

I was at the Old Town car show in the Orlando area over the weekend. There was a 64 Chevelle LS swap car on display equipped with the Edelbrock swap headers. I looked underneath and was pretty horrified at how low these header hung down. I would say he was loosing nearly 2 inches of ground clearance. This particular car also had what looked like the CTS pan which was also hanging nearly 2" beneath his cross-member. I am not sure if he ran that pan to protect his headers or ran those headers to protect his pan
Old 10-28-2010, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have those headers on my 68 GTO and I don't think that the ground clearance is compromised by them. I am also using the edelbrock mount adapters, so maybe that makes a difference?

All in all I was not so impressed with the level of engineering. I spoke with the gentleman at Edelbrock who claimed to have engineered the product. He said that his design consideration was to keep the surface of the engine that meets the bellhousing on the same plane as the original engine, and that he did not want to account for all of the transmissions that customers could possibly be using. This is not what I would have done.

That said, I am not completely displeased, either. The cost of the headers and mounts were very reasonable, and I am sure they will last for a long time. Also, the customer support staff was very helpful and promptly returned my phone calls and e-mail.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Edelbrock on my my 71 Chevelle. It is lowered. I do scrap both the headers and CTS-V oil pan on speed bumps.. I've flatten the tubes a bit...scrapped Asphalt off of the front of the lower sump of the oil pan.

I am using the older Style BRP type of mounts and have move the engine back as far as i could. Tall and Narrow Engine Mounts with Short and Wild Frame stands.

These asre my Ground Clearances:
Cross member has 4" of ground clearance
CTS-V pan has just a bit over 3 1/4" of clearance
Headers have 3 1/16" Clearance

I am please with the headers instalation easy and how well the finish has held up for the past 5 years.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the full Edelbrock kit in my 65 Malibu. Well at least I have the engine mounts and headers in at this point. I was very impressed with how well they fit till I tried to mock-up the rest of their exhaust kit. Now I need to find a muffler shop that will put a little more bend on the first pipes so they meet the crossover. My car is still up on stands, but my F-body pan is level with the cross member which I was pretty excited about. But the pan on the 6L80 trans hangs down a bunch from what I thought. But with the headers in there they are even with it. I should have it back down on the ground in the next couple weeks. I’m hoping to find that there is 4 inches or more of ground clearance but wouldn’t be surprised with less from the looks of it. After the first couple speed bumps they’ll make their own clearance right?
Attached Thumbnails Edelbrock Headers and A-Body Ground Clearance-cimg0274.jpg   Edelbrock Headers and A-Body Ground Clearance-cimg0276.jpg   Edelbrock Headers and A-Body Ground Clearance-cimg0371.jpg   Edelbrock Headers and A-Body Ground Clearance-cimg0387.jpg  
Old 10-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Hey Attitude, when looking from the side, can you tell me if the header sits lower than the F-body pan? i have airbags, and when dropped, my pan and crossmember are 1 inch from ground.( they are flush with each other ) thnx
Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

I am also running the Edelbrock headers and full exhaust. Headers are not terribly low and no speedbump contact yet. I too had an issue with my pipes from the headers not fitting to the cross pipe properly. I had to cut an inch out of my left pipe to shorten it enough that the cross pipe didn't aim out of the right side of the car.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Altitude 65
I have the full Edelbrock kit in my 65 Malibu. Well at least I have the engine mounts and headers in at this point. I was very impressed with how well they fit till I tried to mock-up the rest of their exhaust kit. Now I need to find a muffler shop that will put a little more bend on the first pipes so they meet the crossover. My car is still up on stands, but my F-body pan is level with the cross member which I was pretty excited about. But the pan on the 6L80 trans hangs down a bunch from what I thought. But with the headers in there they are even with it. I should have it back down on the ground in the next couple weeks. I’m hoping to find that there is 4 inches or more of ground clearance but wouldn’t be surprised with less from the looks of it. After the first couple speed bumps they’ll make their own clearance right?
How far below your engine crossmember would you say the headers are?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ones I have are 1.5" below the crossmember. Not bad but someone with a brain would have put a little more thought in them.

Tim
Old 12-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
The ones I have are 1.5" below the crossmember. Not bad but someone with a brain would have put a little more thought in them.

Tim
Man, no doubt. That is the only thing stopping me from buying a set.

So, far I have heard that the Edelbrocks have poor ground clearance and have big trouble changing the starter.

I have also read that the Hookers don't fit the 64-65s at all.

That just leaves the BRPs and Doug's I have not heard of anyone who has tried BRPs on a 64-65. I read one positive review about the Doug's fit.

I will probably offer BRP or somebody who sells Doug's I will try a set if they will make the deal that they can be returned if I am not pleased with the fit.

Last edited by speedtigger; 12-28-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: added Doug's
Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I agree with the 1 1/2". With their engine mounts my F-body pan is perfectly level with the cross member which is nice. But the headers could have been tucked just a little bit more.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Headers and A-Body Ground Clearance