Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which fan controller would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Which fan controller would you choose?

I am trying to pick a fan controller for my electric fan (planning to use a Taurus fan).
I don't know much about these brands and their quality. Would you chose this one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-33054KIB/
Or this one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16789/
Old 11-05-2010, 05:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those are pretty pricey. I used an adjustable radiator probe unit that cost around $35. Have been using it with my Taurus fan with zero problems. I wanted to get one that used a sender in the heads, but as you may have noticed not many people make one with the right sized threads. Putting a bit of plumbers dope around the probe in the fins seems to help make the turn on and off more consistent.

I don't remember the exact brand but this one looks like the one I have

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16759/
Old 11-05-2010, 05:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya save the buck and go with the one above me der-16759 ^^^^^
Old 11-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Those are pretty pricey. I used an adjustable radiator probe unit that cost around $35. Have been using it with my Taurus fan with zero problems. I wanted to get one that used a sender in the heads, but as you may have noticed not many people make one with the right sized threads. Putting a bit of plumbers dope around the probe in the fins seems to help make the turn on and off more consistent.

I don't remember the exact brand but this one looks like the one I have

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16759/
Ah, good to know about the thread problem. I wasn't aware of that issue. I would definitely prefer a sender that screws into the head. So, if anyone has found a solution for this problem, please chime in.

I was going to choose the more expensive unit because it has high and low speed fan settings as well as an input for air conditioning signal. It seemed like an elegant solution.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using the SPAL FAN-PWM controller..the older version. The new versions FAN-PWM-V3 is $164 retail but about the same as the others as discounted street prices go.

I was able to tap into the OEM sensor in the Driver side head for input to the controller. I am running duel SPAL fans to match.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by bczee
I am using the SPAL FAN-PWM controller..the older version. The new versions FAN-PWM-V3 is $164 retail but about the same as the others as discounted street prices go.

I was able to tap into the OEM sensor in the Driver side head for input to the controller. I am running duel SPAL fans to match.
That is excellent that it uses the factory sensor. I like the soft-on too. But, it says on the site that it does not work with the Tuarus fans How has it been performing?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just use the OEM sensor and the output in the ECM. If you are using a ECM, I can't imagine why you would want to add the additional cost and complexity of a stand-alone fan controller. All you need to do is add a relay, and you are good to go. The turn-on setpoint can be set to any value you want, and you even have the option of dual, independent fan control, if you desire.

JMHO

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I just use the OEM sensor and the output in the ECM. If you are using a ECM, I can't imagine why you would want to add the additional cost and complexity of a stand-alone fan controller. All you need to do is add a relay, and you are good to go. The turn-on setpoint can be set to any value you want, and you even have the option of dual, independent fan control, if you desire.

JMHO

Regards, John McGraw
I am carbureted. My set up does not have an ECM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I forgot to mention that I only have the low speed fan connected. I wired it up with the idea that I would put a high temp (>210°) switch in the head to switch it to high speed while using the adjustable controller on the low speed, however I couldn't find a switch with the right threads. Turns out I have never needed more than the low speed fan so never did the mod. I sued the relays I got with the Taurus fan so all I need to do is hook a ground to the high speed relay.

There is a member on here who turns down 3/8 NPT sensors to M12x1.5. It is also possible to drill and tap the head to 3/8 NPT. A final option is splicing a NPT fitting into the radiator hose or even the brass block heater plug on the side of the block.

Painless makes a fan controller with an M12x1.5 threaded sensor for LS heads. I think the sensor was a non adjustable switch. They don't sell the sensor separately.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16749/

Though the 3/8 sensor is in a coolant pipe I had to make for my swap... so it was pretty easy to just weld a 3/8th bung in the pipe.

Quick Reply: Which fan controller would you choose?