Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 LY5 (5.3L iron block) with T56 project

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LY5 (5.3L iron block) with T56 project

Well this should be interesting. I know enough about the LS engines to hurt myself so if someone has advice or I am wrong in anything I say feel free to correct me. I am going to put a 5.3L vortex engine in an old nissan pickup. The engine came out of a chevy 1500 truck. I do not have the gas pedal or the ignition key. I got a flywheel and a pressure plate from a 98 fire bird, which should be the same car the transmission came from but not sure.

One of the first problems I am going to have is engine height. The intake is way too tall and a shorter oil pan would be a wise idea. At this point I am looking at getting a F-body oil pan, I have read the sticky but on the classifieds I keep seeing LH8 oil pans for sale. That didn't help me even after I ran a google search to try and verify what this pan is to.

My next thing is I am thinking about running a FAST intake, I would just get a LS1 intake but if I am going to spend that much for a used part I might just get a performance upgrade but it will cost me (I hear I wouldn't have the loss of tq if I use the FAST intake Vs the LS1 intake either). I have the truck fuel rails and injectors, what fuel rail and injectors will i need if I run the FAST intake? Also what size throttle body would be recommended either mechanical or electronic.

With changing the intake I will need new accessory brackets, I plan on getting polished ones anyway.

Now comes the uh fun part, not. I have a 2008 so I have electronic throttle body and a computer without the key is pretty much useless. I have the complete wiring harness but no gas pedal either. At this point I may be better off get a pain-less wiring kit or some other wiring option and buying a computer from an 2006 or newer engine. At this point I need to change the throttle body to an mechanical one if i go the new computer route. This I think affects my intake option but not sure.

For performance my plans are the intake, LS6 cam and custom headers. This should give me plenty of power for my application and hopefully some decent mpg on the hwy. I am looking to have a very clean install so the less wires the better. The only reason I know to use the 2008 setup is it has cylinder deactivation for hwy use. I just don't know if it would be worth the trouble. I was told I have to crack the computer so it doesn't need the original key. If there is an aftermarket computer for these engines that I could modify things to get better performance that would be a bonus.

For the moment the first step is to get the engine in, then I can then I can concentrate on wiring it up but the sooner I know the better I will be.

Quick Reply: 2008 LY5 (5.3L iron block) with T56 project