Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Little Confused

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Little Confused

I recently got an LY6 out of a Chevy 2500 and started to get it ready to install in my 79 Malibu. I will be running a carb and a msd 6012 box. I need to change over to an 05 GTO waterpumb to run the procharger brackets. I have found that this engine has the VVT cam which causes the timing chain cover to stick out to far to clear the GTO waterpump. I've decided to switch the cam and timing chain cover to allow the GTO waterpump. I however ran into a little more information thats confusing me. I was under the idea that this motor didn't have DOD just VVT because my valley cover is smooth. However when I removed the stock oil pan and replaced it with the "muscle car" one I noticed what appears to be a pressure release valve in the old pan mounted over the oil filter location. I had read that is for DOD. So is this motor one equiped with DOD or not and what did I find in the old pan? Please help solve this confusion. Thanks Randy
Old 11-14-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The VVT motors have the pressure relief also but is apparently not needed according to Mast Motorsports. BTW you can space your GTO water pump out with 1.5" spacers to clear the VVT. I would recommend keeping the VVT as it makes better power and torque under the curve. With an aftermarket VVT cam you will make some huge power with that motor. Good luck with the swap.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

You can use the 5th gen Camaro L99 WP to retain the VVT. Some of the AC Delco oil filters have that pressure relieve valve built into them. PF-48 is the one to fit the latest GMPP 3rd gen F-Body pan. Might be the same one you need.

to answer your question, NO. your engine DOESN'T have DOD. Just VVT