Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question

Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question

hey guys got a question, ive got a 67 swb c10 with a ls1/th400... i want to keep my 99z camaro cluster because of the situation im in, and i know theres a way to make it work because ive seen lots of f body's with th400's. so what do i need to do to make the speedo work? any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

i cant remember where i saw it, but you need to convert the mechanical speedo gear output to electrical. theres a part on ebay, ill did around and see if i can find it again
Old 11-20-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

VSS reluctor ring and pickup sensor from a 1990 454SS. GM parts, available at the dealer. Around $100
Old 11-20-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use dakota digital speed sensor SEN-01-4160 from summit racing for $39.00. Have PCM programmed for the correct pulse. This sensor produces 8 pulse per revolution of the speedo cable. I've used this sensor on many of my swaps with TH400's and on my K5 with a 208 transfer case. I use the sensor so I can keep drive by wire cruise control. Should run signal for speedo just as well too.

SEN-01-4160 allows speedo cable to connect to other side of sensor, its a pass through...there is also one that just goes on the cable output and stops.

you will want to count the drive/driven teeth currently in the th400, and then gear ratio and tire roll out, all this info can then be used to calculate the exact number of pulses this sensor will produce in 1 mile, then program the info in the PCM.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by busta9876
Use dakota digital speed sensor SEN-01-4160 from summit racing for $39.00. Have PCM programmed for the correct pulse. This sensor produces 8 pulse per revolution of the speedo cable. I've used this sensor on many of my swaps with TH400's and on my K5 with a 208 transfer case. I use the sensor so I can keep drive by wire cruise control. Should run signal for speedo just as well too.

SEN-01-4160 allows speedo cable to connect to other side of sensor, its a pass through...there is also one that just goes on the cable output and stops.

you will want to count the drive/driven teeth currently in the th400, and then gear ratio and tire roll out, all this info can then be used to calculate the exact number of pulses this sensor will produce in 1 mile, then program the info in the PCM.
ok, i already have the motor and tranny in the truck PLEASE tell me there is a a way i can count/ find out the drive/driven teeth without everything having to come back out
Old 11-29-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kaotic_ws6
ok, i already have the motor and tranny in the truck PLEASE tell me there is a a way i can count/ find out the drive/driven teeth without everything having to come back out
pull the speedo plug in the rear of the case, count the DRIVEN teeth on the speedo plug, then see if you can count the teeth on the DRIVE inside trans on the output shaft. You could use a black sharpie marker to mark one tooth, then rotate drive shaft (lift rear axle, put in neutral) counting the teeth as you rotate drive shaft. you might also be able to go by the color of the DRIVE gear, google speedo gears you should be able to find a color chart for the tooth count.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by busta9876
pull the speedo plug in the rear of the case, count the DRIVEN teeth on the speedo plug, then see if you can count the teeth on the DRIVE inside trans on the output shaft. You could use a black sharpie marker to mark one tooth, then rotate drive shaft (lift rear axle, put in neutral) counting the teeth as you rotate drive shaft. you might also be able to go by the color of the DRIVE gear, google speedo gears you should be able to find a color chart for the tooth count.
THANK GOD. i appreciate the info, i wish i could get the correct information all the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question