Sponsored by:

996 w/ls1 swap - kaput thanks to California

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 w/ls1 swap - kaput thanks to California

Well,

I was making good progress on my swap after seeing 1dirtyz's project. Got the engine / trans mounted in the car and was getting ready to do the exhaust. Called the California BAR to ask a question about the cats and was told I couldn't certify the car because the original GM tranny was not going to be used. So basically I can't register this friggen thing in CA!

This sucks - so disappointed

Old 11-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Are you trying to get this carb certified?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, need to get the BAR certification sticker so I can smog and register the car.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

ouch me personally i would skip the bar and get it smogged. If the car was out of state buy than ya you need to get it carb certified.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just register it out of state.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Would love to skip the BAR - but if I take this thing to a smog station they'll refer me to the bar as soon as the engine lid is opened.

I did make some calls and it sounds like the transmission item is up for interpretation. I talked to a couple people and it sounds like it really depends on which referee you take the car to.

The local smog guy that I've used before said it's best to get it all together and bring it in for a pre-test before taking it to the ref. There's some risk though as I still have a lot of work to do to have ready for a test - if I do all of that and it fails then it's a bigger loss than now.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

WTF does a transmission have to do w/ a smog test? California is f'cked up. Although, I already new that.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

If you search around on this site, there's a guy who has posted valuable information before and seems very well versed in CA smog reg's. Don't get discouraged just yet; you're pretty deep into your swap and it would be well worth poking around. I know there are some LS1/6 Porsche 944's that are CA smog legal, so I don't see why your's couldn't be as well.

Andy1
Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple extra hundreds will get it smogged and you don't have to deal with bar
Old 11-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

WTF does a transmission have to do w/ a smog test?
According to all of the people that do smogs I've talked to, nothing! The BAR tech I talked to said the transmission is part of the emission system - ridiculous, especially with a manual trans

If you search around on this site, there's a guy who has posted valuable information before and seems very well versed in CA smog reg's. Don't get discouraged just yet; you're pretty deep into your swap and it would be well worth poking around. I know there are some LS1/6 Porsche 944's that are CA smog legal, so I don't see why your's couldn't be as well.
I probably will move forward with it - I've been pissed about it all day mostly because it's such a cool swap and such a stupid reason not to be able to finish it. That and I've got 14k sitting in it all together.

Originally Posted by stevied916
A couple extra hundreds will get it smogged and you don't have to deal with bar
know anyone lol
Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can just give it to me
Old 11-23-2010, 02:02 AM
8 Second Club

that freaki'n sucks!

why not talk to the guy that told you to bring it in for a pre-inspection and explain your situation ( how you need to know before you move forward with the project) and see what he says ,,,, other than that , minnasota license plates look real nice on these cars
Old 11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about registering it in a county in CA that does not require smog? They are out there! A P.O. Box will suffice.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987
What about registering it in a county in CA that does not require smog? They are out there! A P.O. Box will suffice.
Interesting - thanks, will keep that in mind if I can't get through the BAR stuff

For now, the build continues!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

If you know any attournys who can interpret the verbage in California C.A.F.E requirments...you might be able to bring in a statement indicating the stock transmission is not part of the CAFE requrments-this would make a legal case against the person dening you smog legality and take away the Government protection they think they have.
Just a suggestion, if they know you will be taking them to court instead of trying to fight Government regulations-they might see things your way.
There was a recent 240SX swap thread here who was running into the same issue, it would be nice if there was some documented presidence for this type of situation.
Good luck, and for goodness sake let the rest of us know if you get through (legally)
Old 11-23-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

That sucks, what a ridiculous gov. mess. Stay with it, I'm sure there's a work around, gonna be a bitchin swap when you are done.........hell, move down to Texas, they don't even emissions test in my county.......

T,
Old 11-23-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

I'd be inclined to find a referee station that has a technician willing to freely discuss your swap. Some folks have had pretty decent experiences along those lines, though they all agree that you may have to visit more than one referee station to find that knowlegeable technician willing to answer your questions. Again, don't get discouraged; there are a lot of swap vehicles running around in CA. You just have to go by-the-book.

Andy1
Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:
WTF does a transmission have to do w/ a smog test?
According to all of the people that do smogs I've talked to, nothing! The BAR tech I talked to said the transmission is part of the emission system - ridiculous, especially with a manual trans
Actually when a mfr designs a new engine or trans they have to get it smogged with every when/trans combo that it will be used for. That means GM got a different smog rating for LS1/T56's than LS1/4L60Es. GM never did a LS1/porsche transaxle test so it cant pass. IMHO the ref was being a *****, this is rarely a hang-up as several 3rd gen tremec/TKO/TH350/400 swaps are passed just fine even with the technicality
Old 11-23-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a look at the GM E-Rod setup and documentation. They sale it without a Transmission and is legal for pre ODBII / 95 cars.
If you can use some of that info to help.. maybe sell your powerplant an but a E-Rod kit !..
Just not sure if this requires a GM compatiable Trans or not ?.. suggest you do so research and let us know what you come up with.

E-Rod Crate Engine Kit for Manual Trans 19256487, Have not found anything on the Trans requirement yet..

But found a link for the install guide..http://www.partsworldperformance.com...tion-Guide.pdf

There is also a automatic kit number too which was 1st before the manual kit.
*The E-ROD kit does not include a transmission. GMPP recommends the GM Hydra-Matic electronically controlled 4L65-E four-speed automatic, part number 19156260, and transmission controller, part number 12497316.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Im going to agree with Andy1, I have been reading about 944 swaps for almost 10 years, and see many swaps in CA, and not a single one of them uses the GM transmission.

Mark

Quick Reply: 996 w/ls1 swap - kaput thanks to California